RIP Kirstie Alley

mdmost

My point was it probably would/should have been caught earlier.  I have 2 friends that have both been diagnosed with late stage cancer that are in the same boat.

I hate seeing this disease kill people. It’s so preventable in most cases. Know your genetic risks, and get an upper and lower GI and stay ahead of schedule. I have friends that are on annual colonoscopy routines, I’m on the 5 but do every 3.

Recently called an old friend I had missed for a few years. How ya doing?! “Not so good. I’m late stage 4 colon cancer and about to start the last experimental trial for me”. A bit later he said, “I was just scared to have a colonoscopy. I feel so stupid.”

So, to my soapbox. If any of you are over 45 you need a colonoscopy. If you have gut issues or genetic risks start earlier. There is nothing to it. You can’t eat the day before. You drink some stuff that cleans you out. They knock you out, do it, wake you up, and send you home. Nothing to it. Please do this. If you do, the likelihood of you dying of colon cancer is practically nil. Just do it.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I hate seeing this disease kill people. It’s so preventable in most cases. Know your genetic risks, and get an upper and lower GI and stay ahead of schedule. I have friends that are on annual colonoscopy routines, I’m on the 5 but do every 3.

Recently called an old friend I had missed for a few years. How ya doing?! “Not so good. I’m late stage 4 colon cancer and about to start the last experimental trial for me”. A bit later he said, “I was just scared to have a colonoscopy. I feel so stupid.”

So, to my soapbox. If any of you are over 45 you need a colonoscopy. If you have gut issues or genetic risks start earlier. There is nothing to it. You can’t eat the day before. You drink some stuff that cleans you out. They knock you out, do it, wake you up, and send you home. Nothing to it. Please do this. If you do, the likelihood of you dying of colon cancer is practically nil. Just do it.

Had my first last month because of the aforementioned friends.  The prep work (shitting your brains out) was the worst part of it.  I didn't even walk funny after getting the camera up the butt.

Please become a colonoscopy evangelist.

You likely had a bit rougher clean out because of the worldwide recall of magnesium citrate. Normally that makes it an easier process. They probably had you do the Dulcolax/suprex or the dulcolax/miralax regimen. I just had mine and did the suprex. Wife did miralax. It’s a bit more involved.

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Preach, brother. I turned 50 at the beginning of November and had a colonoscopy last Monday. The prep day isn't much fun and the Clenpiq solution I took was just grotesquely sweet. Took the first dose right before the Cowboys game so I had to dismiss myself from the game a few times to "Harry Dunne" the toilet a few times. My wife and I kept a tally and I think I shit seven or eight times in total that night. It wasn't nearly as awful as I expected.

Game day was a cinch. Go early, get knocked out and wake up a few mins later like nothing happened. No big deal. Doc said I'm all good and don't need to come back for another one until I'm 60. I'm pretty sure I won't wait that long and am already planning on going back in five years.