Bike Locks

I ride a mountain bike.  It's either on the bike rack, under me, or in the garage or on the porch.  So I have no need for a lock, usually.

I am going to lend one of my bikes to a family member who is going to use it for more general transportation.  He's going to need a lock.  What is the state of the art these days on keeping your bike from getting ripped off or parted out on the street?

I'm not so interested in being pick- or cutter-proof as securing the bike, including QR front and rear wheels from being picked over like the skeletons you used to see on campus and that I see at bike racks around town periodically.  I suppose a lot of those are abandoned and picked over over time.  Also curious about avoiding someone just throwing it in the back of a truck so pipe-hittin naggers can get after it later.

So the old kryptonite lock doesn't seem to solve a lot of those problems.

Well I hate to break it to you,  but there hasn't been much in the way of bike lock technology,  aside from those bkutooth automatic ones linked above.   They are still basically metal with a lock.  Might I suggest using two or three at a time?  If you are that worried about your nice bike getting stolen,  then maybe get a cheap used or a single speed.  

I dunno whether I am that worried about it.  When I was a kid and rode my bike everywhere, I only locked it if I was leaving it someplace (school) for longer than an hour.  Now my bikes almost never leave my sight unless they're on my property.

Kryptonite locks came after I stopped riding my bike as a kid.  We used chains or cables and either a padlock or one of those roller lock things and there was always a big ass rack to chain it to.  Guess there's nothing new under the sun.

The bike will be fine around town just as long as it's not left overnight. Locked an hour or so here and there should be fine. I find the combination locks easier because you don't have to hassle with a key. Also make sure it's not locked only to the wheel if you have quick release.

No lock is theft proof.  But some locks are more secure than others.

A thick and beefy D/U-shaped lock is generally the best for price-performance ratio.  They're something like 30-80$.  The mechanism can be combination or key'ed.  Makes no real difference.  A long time ago people discovered a vulnerability to the key lock but it's been fixed.  A thief will not attack 1 or the other preferably.  Motivated thieves will just try cut or pry the lock. 

You want that lock the be the smallest practical size (a "mini" U lock is great).  The trick is to lock the REAR RIM, INSIDE THE FRAME.  This will secure the frame of the bike and the rear wheel at the same time.  You cannot separate the frame unless you cut the rim and tire...which is practically impossible.

The reason you want a small lock (smaller than this picture) is because it reduces the space for someone to leverage a pry bar in there.

DSC04228.JPG

As for the seat, fix it with a fastener instead of quick release.  While it can be defeated with a simple hand tool, most thieves aren't out to pick seats.  The economics just doesn't work out.  If you really cherry the seatpost and seat, apply loctite or something similar to it.  In extreme cases, you can even chain up the seat saddle to the frame - use a bicycle chain.

The front wheel - again same story as the seat , it's simply not a target.  If you care, use a cable lock like above.  Again the cable lock is easy to defeat, but it just adds that extra margin of security against someone walking away with zero effort.

So the summary is, if the bike is not parked continuously in a place exposed overnight or for many many hours, a single U lock will generally suffice.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bike theft is common in Houston and I haven't had any issues. But yes, someone can easily cut some of those small locks with the right tools if they wanted. I have a heavy chain I use at times that is almost impossible to cut, but it's a pain in the ass to bike with. I'm not a fan of the U-locks because it's hard to lock up if you can't find a bike rack around or small pole.

This is the heavy chain I use at times. When I know I will leave the bike out for long periods of time or in sketchy areas.
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Keeper-Integrated-Bicycle-33-5-Inch/dp/B005YPK7V8/ref=sr_1_10?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1530629685&sr=1-10&keywords=bike+lock+cable&refinements=p_36%3A1253556011

I use something like this for daily riding. Like a bar crawl, a quick ride to the store, or if I ride to work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGUV2B8/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=UXxau&pf_rd_r=V1056J2FSWKH2PPC6T6Y&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00WGUV2B8&pd_rd_w=jG7QR&pf_rd_i=bike+lock+cable&pd_rd_r=2038d4a4-085c-4c9c-bdd8-60228263a216&ie=UTF8&qid=1530629835&sr=1

Kevlar works great
https://www.amazon.com/OTTOLOCK-Combination-Lightweight-Compact-Durable/dp/B0799DYL2G/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530629601&sr=8-3-spons&keywords=bike+lock+cable&psc=1