Who would win?

HookEm

Who would win?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win:

• Team A: Marcus Carr, Tyrese Hunter, Timmy Allen, Dylan Disu, Dillon Mitchell
    • Team B: Marcus Carr, Arterio Morris, Sir'Jabari Rice, Brock Cunningham, Christian Bishop

Our bench this year is so good, it has me wondering if they would actually beat our starters.  The starters are probably better individual talents, but the bench has a bunch of hoopers.  Curious what you all think.  

Since we only have 9 players on our bench, I put Carr on both teams.

• Like 1

Team B has four pretty good 3 point shooters and our 4 best FT shooters. Carr and Morris have a good mid range game. Brock and Bishop hustle for boards. 

Team B easily. A has one sometimes black hole on offense (Hunter) and another in Mitchell. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Agree. Cunningham has turned himself into a real asset.

With most of our players (outside of maybe Rice), it depends on who you are getting any given night. 

• Hunter can play like a 1st team All-American.  First seven games of the season: 15+ points on 52% shooting.  Since then? 8 points on 33% shooting.
  • Dylan Disu and Dillon Mitchell can be really disruptive on the glass.  Disu also leads the team in blocks by a wide margin.
  • Timmy Allen can take over a game and can score 20+
  • Christian Bishop can be really dominant at times. I actually think he is our best low post player.  But at times he can be a turnover / foul machine. 
  • Morris is a wildcard. He is the most athletic player on the team IMO.  

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Not one person thinks our starters would beat our bench?

Probably because you truly have no idea which Timmy or Hunter will show up. And Mitchell doesn’t give you much scoring. I think that lineup struggles to keep up offensively. And in crunch time, Team B is nails at the line. 

I actually like the way Terry has set the rotations. 

The starters are our highest upside players.  To win, you have to get a few of these guys going.  We can feel out the other team see who is going to go off and who isn't.  If Timmy Allen has a mismatch, he can exploit it.  Mitchell and Disu can also establish some post defense and attack the glass.  One of our guards will hopefully be playing well.

Then as we start subbing in our bench (ideally subbing out the cold players), we have a HUGE advantage over the other team.  They are subbing in WEAKER players while we are subbing in guys (who may be BETTER than our starters) who will move the ball, and generate spacing with their shooting and IQ.

Also our bench has our lowest ego guys on the team (though most of our team is remarkably low ego).  These guys have proven that they can stay engaged and aren't going to pout because they aren't "starting".   It seems like Rice likes his role of assassin off the bench.  Cunningham is a near-perfect off the bench guy who can boost the energy after the initial game adrenaline and crowd enthusiasm wanes.  And Bishop can also come in and dirty it up with physicality.  Rice, Cunningham and Bishop are all "lunch pail" types who have some dawg in them.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I actually like the way Terry has set the rotations. 

Honestly it feels like Beard set the rotations. Maybe I'm wrong, but after having watched him at Texas and Texas Tech, it's difficult for me to imagine Beard wouldn't have experimented with the rotations a lot more than Terry has. I'm not even saying that's wrong. Sometimes coaches experiment with the rotations too much, and wreck the team chemistry. But this is pretty much the exact same rotation Texas had when Beard was suspended, and it's never changed. 

On 2/22/2023 at 10:43 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

This comes down to the Hunter you're getting. 

If you get the Hunter last night I'm taking team A. If you get the Hunter for most of Big 12 play I'm taking team B. 

i took Team A because i believe that the Hunter we saw last night is the real Hunter. also, Mitchell and Disu >>> Brock and Bishop on the offensive end. Mitchell would have a much bigger impact in this scenario than he does on our actual team. the Mitchell who competes against his teammates in practice every day >>> the Mitchell we see in the actual games. you're getting Practice Mitchell and Good Hunter with this team, and that's a big part of why i chose them. kudos to OP for making this a tough decision though. my first thought was, "whichever team has Jabari Rice", and yet in the end i went against that. it was a tough call. 

On 2/22/2023 at 10:47 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

The top 3 players are Carr, Allen, and Rice in some order. 

Who is the 4th best player? I think you can make a real argument it's Cunningham. 

similar to what i just said about Mitchell being upgraded in this scenario, Brock gets downgraded in this scenario. Brock plays his role to efficient perfection, but his role in this 5 v 5 scenario will be a totally different role.

468BBE63-EE80-460C-A7B9-6AB50B0141F9.thumb.jpeg.51afbc84335dd18d06d3c6c2f79906c9.jpeg

you have every right to be praising BC, because as we can see here Brock is FIFTH nationally in offensive rating. but again, that's as he's being used on 12-16% of our team's possessions. Brock won't be nearly as efficient when his role on both ends is suddenly ramped up as he has to be involved the entire game. meanwhile Mitchell becomes a transition beast, and he only has to worry about Brock and Bishop on the defensive end. for this scenario, you have to upgrade Mitchell and downgrade Brock.