Tulsa and OKC

Errestaurants

On 3/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, 406W30th said:

Going to be in OKC in a couple weeks, stopping for a day and a half w/ the family on our drive home from Texas. Itinerary is shaping up but I'd love to hear thoughts/suggestions from people more familiar than me. We've got two young kids and will be traveling with our dog, so that has an impact on things.

Day 1

- arrive in OKC mid/late afternoon

- Scissortail Park so the dog can stretch her legs, kids can play on the playground

- happy hour/early dinner at Social Capital 

- hopefully put the kids to bed and grab a few pints at Prairie

Day 2

- Either Factory Obscura, an immersive art experience that looks fun for the kids

- Or First Americans Museum, which finally opened last year and is supposed to be fantastic

- lunch at Riviere Modern Banh Mi

- Skydance Brewery, a Native-owned craft brewery that's supposed to be pretty good

- dinner at Ludivine

Day 3

- breakfast at ?

- head home

Holy crap. I live in Oklahoma City and I haven't done any of that stuff (aside from the park). Let us know how it goes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Holy crap. I live in Oklahoma City and I haven't done any of that stuff (aside from the park). Let us know how it goes. 

As an aside, have you read "Boomtown" by Sam Anderson? It's a sprawling history of Oklahoma City threaded around the James Harden / Thunder saga and it's absolutely incredible. Some of the best nonficition writing I've ever read and extremely engaging.

5 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

My inlaws live in NW OKC and we almost never go downtown. It's so far away it might as well be Frisco. OKC is way too big, everyone drives 45 minutes or more to get wherever they are going. I hate going there. The new stuff along Kilpatrick Turnpike is fine. Not my favorite, but at least Roughtail is up there now.

On 3/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, 406W30th said:

Going to be in OKC in a couple weeks, stopping for a day and a half w/ the family on our drive home from Texas. Itinerary is shaping up but I'd love to hear thoughts/suggestions from people more familiar than me. We've got two young kids and will be traveling with our dog, so that has an impact on things.

Day 1

- arrive in OKC mid/late afternoon

- Scissortail Park so the dog can stretch her legs, kids can play on the playground

- happy hour/early dinner at Social Capital 

- hopefully put the kids to bed and grab a few pints at Prairie

Day 2

- Either Factory Obscura, an immersive art experience that looks fun for the kids

- Or First Americans Museum, which finally opened last year and is supposed to be fantastic

- lunch at Riviere Modern Banh Mi

- Skydance Brewery, a Native-owned craft brewery that's supposed to be pretty good

- dinner at Ludivine

Day 3

- breakfast at ?

- head home

Neighborhood Jam is a great breakfast spot.  Waffle Champion is good and close to the others you have mentioned. Ludivine is great.  Gray Sweater is another option.  The chef there just got a James Beard nomination, I think.  The OKC Dodgers are in town and the ballpark is really nice and close.  Skydance is great. Prairie is great. Like the other guy said, Stone Cloud is great. Bombing Memorial is right there and incredible but not for the little kids.  Sidecar is a cool cocktail bar by Skydance and Prairie that makes good craft cocktails.  Jimmy B's on Broadway is in an old Mercedes dealership that has a great happy hour and cocktail/beer menu.  The First Americans Museum is really cool.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

My inlaws live in NW OKC and we almost never go downtown. It's so far away it might as well be Frisco. OKC is way too big, everyone drives 45 minutes or more to get wherever they are going. I hate going there. The new stuff along Kilpatrick Turnpike is fine. Not my favorite, but at least Roughtail is up there now.

Boomtown is a great read. 

Yeah, I mainly just go downtown for Thunder basketball and the Bricktown Comedy Club. They pull in pretty solid acts. Margaret Cho, Kevin Nealon, Dave Attell, etc. Great addition to that area. 

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The National Memorial by itself without the museum is very moving. If you’re downtown it should not be missed. The place is full of kids.

Sorry. Totally agree. Was thinking the museum. The National Memorial is stunning. They did a wonderful job on it. 

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

@'stache I'm heading to Tulsa Thursday to pick up some patio furniture and play golf. I need a burger rec for the US 66, I-44 area. I'm pulling a trailer so I don't want to go downtown unless you insist. Playing Cherokee Hills after lunch.

Arnolds Hamburgers in West Tulsa would be my first choice. It's a slight detour onto I-244, easy to get back to I-44.

My 2nd/3rd choice would be Webers and Claudes. They are about a mile north of I-44 on Peoria. They are right across the street from each other and are both really good. Webers gets a slight nod if you like rootbeer.

4th choice would be Fat Guys Burger Bar's new location near 41st and Sheridan (not the downtown location). It's new and can't speak if its as good as downtown but it should have a lot of options like the original location.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, 'stache said:

Arnolds Hamburgers in West Tulsa would be my first choice. It's a slight detour onto I-244, easy to get back to I-44.

My 2nd/3rd choice would be Webers and Claudes. They are about a mile north of I-44 on Peoria. They are right across the street from each other and are both really good. Webers gets a slight nod if you like rootbeer.

4th choice would be Fat Guys Burger Bar's new location near 41st and Sheridan (not the downtown location). It's new and can't speak if its as good as downtown but it should have a lot of options like the original location.

Thanks. I'm sure we can make one of those work.

36 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Thanks. I'm sure we can make one of those work.

Goldie’s Patio Grill at 61st and Sheridan is not too far off your route.  Big parking lot with plenty of room for a trailer too.

51283D77-383E-464A-A4B0-03D4701EDB03.thumb.jpeg.5d2cd207215a86f8ac77b4999e91bf48.jpeg

Goldie’s is a small chain that’s been in Tulsa for years.  Unfortunately, several stores closed during pandemic but this one is still top notch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

These are all great choices. I have a nostalgic affinity for Webers, eating inside, a 1/2 pound chili burger, the homemade onion rings, and a couple big frosty mugs of their root beer. I would weigh 500 pounds if I lived next door. Really like Arnold’s too.

• 2 months later...

so i read through this thread and most of the posts are about bars and restaurants.  i've never had any desire whatsoever to step one foot in oklahoma but have recently heard about the bob dylan museum, the woody guthrie museum,  and leon russell's studio.  plus, antiques roadshow filmed a couple of episodes at the fillbrook, and it looks worthwhile.  might even squeeze in the gilcrease if i have time.  then there's the black wall street stuff and some route 66 kitsch.   i'm thinking 3 full days, but maybe 2 depending on vacation time.  the restaurant/bar tips are helpful, but anybody been to any of these places?  how much time do you think i'll need there?

8 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

so i read through this thread and most of the posts are about bars and restaurants.  i've never had any desire whatsoever to step one foot in oklahoma but have recently heard about the bob dylan museum, the woody guthrie museum,  and leon russell's studio.  plus, antiques roadshow filmed a couple of episodes at the fillbrook, and it looks worthwhile.  might even squeeze in the gilcrease if i have time.  then there's the black wall street stuff and some route 66 kitsch.   i'm thinking 3 full days, but maybe 2 depending on vacation time.  the restaurant/bar tips are helpful, but anybody been to any of these places?  how much time do you think i'll need there?

Gilcrease is closed currently being entirely rebuilt. Go to Greenwood Rising though, it's pretty impressive what they've done with that new facility. Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie Center, Church Studio, and Philbrook are all great places. I'm not as obsessed with Route 66 as many around here, but if it's on your list, check out Buck Addams kitchy shop and our Space Cowboy muffler man. There's even an AirBNB right behind it. Also, my tastes are impeccable, so my bar and restaurant recommendations are above somewhere I'm sure.