Tulsa and OKC

Errestaurants

• 9 months later...

Gonna be here Thursday night.  Sort of assumed we'd eat dinner at Prairie, since we'll go there for beers after we check into the hotel.  Looking for other food suggestions.

Tentative plan is to hit Prairie around happy hour.  Uber to American Solara after that and hit the Mercury for a round as well.  Uber back to Blue Dome area (partied there a few times when my cousin was going to TU) after the Mercury, and walk back to hotel (Hyatt Regency).

I've been to Tulsa quite a few times between 2008-2011, but those trips were mostly benders where the extent of our culinary exploration was hitting Whataburger at 3AM.

Gonna be here Thursday night.  Sort of assumed we'd eat dinner at Prairie, since we'll go there for beers after we check into the hotel.  Looking for other food suggestions.
Tentative plan is to hit Prairie around happy hour.  Uber to American Solara after that and hit the Mercury for a round as well.  Uber back to Blue Dome area (partied there a few times when my cousin was going to TU) after the Mercury, and walk back to hotel (Hyatt Regency).
I've been to Tulsa quite a few times between 2008-2011, but those trips were mostly benders where the extent of our culinary exploration was hitting Whataburger at 3AM.

2011? Good gawd so much has changed. American Solera is a great call, I assume the one by downtown and not out west. I’m a member and get 10% off in the taproom. Prairie is a good call too. But I suggest Elgin Park to watch other games. It’s by the minor league ball park and last time the tourney was here it was nuts. The house brewed beer is good (even if not as good as Prairie or American Solera). If your staying downtown Welltown Brewery is a good one, near Prairie, and a short Uber away Marshall and Cabin Boys. Marshall has much better beers but Cabin Boys is a few doors down and worth a visit. If you want a huge selection of craft beer Roosevelt’s on Cherry Street is just outside of downtown and has about 60 taps. That’s my neighborhood, I walk there regularly. I could go on and on. I’m out of town Thursday but will probably be mixing it up downtown the rest of the weekend. I’ll look for the corn fed fuck bitching about how bad you are but still loyal as hell.

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

2011? Good gawd so much has changed. American Solera is a great call, I assume the one by downtown and not out west. I’m a member and get 10% off in the taproom. Prairie is a good call too. But I suggest Elgin Park to watch other games. It’s by the minor league ball park and last time the tourney was here it was nuts. The house brewed beer is good (even if not as good as Prairie or American Solera). If your staying downtown Welltown Brewery is a good one, near Prairie, and a short Uber away Marshall and Cabin Boys. Marshall has much better beers but Cabin Boys is a few doors down and worth a visit. If you want a huge selection of craft beer Roosevelt’s on Cherry Street is just outside of downtown and has about 60 taps. That’s my neighborhood, I walk there regularly. I could go on and on. I’m out of town Thursday but will probably be mixing it up downtown the rest of the weekend. I’ll look for the corn fed fuck bitching about how bad you are but still loyal as hell.

So the crazy part is I'm actually only going to be there Thursday, and not actually coming for the game.  It's just a crazy coincidence (same thing happened last fall when we planned a trip to the Hill Country between Christmas and New Year's and ISU ended up in the Alamo Bowl).  I'll have some ISU gear on and likely buying rounds for my cornfed brethren, but we're heading into Dallas on Friday to visit one of my best friends from ISU.  

Had this trip planned for awhile (we'll be hiking in NW Arkansas Thursday morning), and it just happened to work out that ISU got sent to Tulsa for the first round.  My wife wants to go to the damn Prairie Woman store on Friday too, so we'll be lighting out pretty early.

Will definitely hit Welltown.  We're staying at the Hyatt Regency, so it's barely off our walking route to Prairie.  I think I had some Marshall beers in Stillwater in '14, but I could be wrong.  That weekend was blurry.  For American Solera, we're looking at the one across the street from the Mercury.  I'll have to pay tribute there for a round or two as well.

Too bad it didn't work out to buy you a round.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

A Prairie Woman would be cool.  I assume she'd be a hot blonde with big tits dressed like Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke slinging Prairie Bombs.  I assume you mean the Pioneer Woman, totally different. I don't get the appeal, especially since it's an hour outside of Tulsa in a shitty small town. Glad my wife isn't into that. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

A Prairie Woman would be cool.  I assume she'd be a hot blonde with big tits dressed like Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke slinging Prairie Bombs.  I assume you mean the Pioneer Woman, totally different. I don't get the appeal, especially since it's an hour outside of Tulsa in a shitty small town. Glad my wife isn't into that. 

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I dunno.  My wife likes Food Network, I guess.  Has her cookbooks and shit.  I think she sees herself as having a lot in common with her or something.  She's got a mean pot roast recipe that's a staple in our house.

This is about the most cringe-worthy thing my wife's into, so I'm good with it.  She's up for hiking, biking, craft beer, live music, live sports, etc so I can't bitch too much.  I'm sure it will be a tasty breakfast.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I dunno.  My wife likes Food Network, I guess.  Has her cookbooks and shit.  I think she sees herself as having a lot in common with her or something.  She's got a mean pot roast recipe that's a staple in our house.

This is about the most cringe-worthy thing my wife's into, so I'm good with it.  She's up for hiking, biking, craft beer, live music, live sports, etc so I can't bitch too much.  I'm sure it will be a tasty breakfast.

Everybody I know who’s eaten at their restaurant has said the food is good. But the wait is looooooooooong. If your wife is a fan it’s likely she already knows this and y’all have a strategy in place. One other thing is that this week is spring break for OK schools. Will most likely increase crowd.

I’ll be interested to hear your review of the food/experience. My wife likes her stuff but hasn’t pressed for a visit. 

Everybody I know who’s eaten at their restaurant has said the food is good. But the wait is looooooooooong. If your wife is a fan it’s likely she already knows this and y’all have a strategy in place. One other thing is that this week is spring break for OK schools. Will most likely increase crowd.
I’ll be interested to hear your review of the food/experience. My wife likes her stuff but hasn’t pressed for a visit. 

I plan on being there by 8:30AM give or take on a week day, so hopefully the line isn’t bad. If it is, I’ll wait while she shops.

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

She's a fire crotch bitch that gave some random cowboy in a bar a blowjob and won the lottery when he turned out to be rich and married her?

8 minutes ago, baboso said:

She's a fire crotch bitch that gave some random cowboy in a bar a blowjob and won the lottery when he turned out to be rich and married her?

Substitute "fire crotch" with "blonde" and "random cowboy" with "random grain farmer" and you're in the ballpark.

There's actually a food network show now about a Jewish/Chinese girl from NYC who met a kid from buttfuck Minnesota (on the North Dakota border) who happened to be from a well off farm family and they moved back to the farm.  It's even a little more on the nose.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 2 years later...

BurnCo is pretty solid BBQ. Their style is right between Texas and KC style while avoiding everything that makes KC BBQ suck.

I would've recommended Lasalle's, a Cajun joint owned by Katrina refugees, but it went under a couple of months ago due to COVID keeping the downtown lunch crowd away from their office buildings.

Do go grab a beer or two at American Solera. It is top shelf.

• Hook 'Em 1

BurnCo is the place right by American Solera's old location right?  Across from the Mercury, IIRC.

Definitely hitting American Solera on Friday afternoon.  We went there in 2019 when I last posted in this thread and loved it.  We'd had their beer before and knew it was good, but was even more impressed with that visit.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

BurnCo is the place right by American Solera's old location right?  Across from the Mercury, IIRC.

Definitely hitting American Solera on Friday afternoon.  We went there in 2019 when I last posted in this thread and loved it.  We'd had their beer before and knew it was good, but was even more impressed with that visit.

Correct. I assume it's still in that same location. I haven't been to Tulsa since pre-COVID. Used to go MON-THU for 6 years and then maybe 10-15 times a year for the past 5 years, so I've had plenty of dining out experiences there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

LaSalle's is closed, but Nola's on Cherry Street is good for cajun food. Not as authentic as Lasalle's was, but tasty as hell. Kilkenny's across the street is the same owners, big menu, authentic Irish pub feel, one of my favorites. Elgin Park downtown by the baseball field is a personal favorite. Good pizza, burgers, typical brewpub food, any sporting event will be on the TV. Beers are pretty good, probably not as good as the other breweries, but solidly tasty and consistent. Fassler Hall downtown is another good option, German style Biergarten. Bohemia Pizza just won some top 100 in the country type thing, fancy pizzas, delicious, a little hipstery, but damn good.

I'm sure you know the brewery scene, American Solera, Cabin Boys, and Marshall are all on the same corner, definitely worthwhile. Heirloom is a little more hipstery, but tasty and nice taproom, not too far from the other three. A BBQ truck us usually there called Killer Wail, damn good, owners are from Austin. Roosevelts on Cherry Street has fancier food and a huge tap list, good lunch option. 

I rarely eat out any more, this is just what comes off the top of my head.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, Burnco is still at 18th and Boston, across from Mercury Lounge. The little American Solera place there wasn't the "old location" it was just a neighborhood tap room they opened up before renovating the new location and moving the main location from the west side of town. It closed down a few months ago, apparently lost some business during the pandemic and wasn't needed. I still miss it, right off the trail.

• Hook 'Em 1

We were at Elgin Park (multiple times) and Fassler Hall when we spent a couple nights there last spring.  I had a lot of fun at both.  Watched the Pokes/Horns Big 12 title game at Elgin Park, actually.  Saturday concert is at Cain's, so I suspect we'll end up in that neighborhood.  Definitely going to have to do my pilgrimage to Arnie's as well.

Heirloom has caught my eye lurking around Google.  Cousin isn't nearly as into craft beer as the wife and I are (he'll go and drink it, but not where he tends to go normally).

I could see a Friday plan of ubering from his place (down the street from Darlington Park) to that American Solera/Marshall/Cabin Boys neighborhood and then hitting Heirloom if that BBQ truck is there.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Yes, Burnco is still at 18th and Boston, across from Mercury Lounge. The little American Solera place there wasn't the "old location" it was just a neighborhood tap room they opened up before renovating the new location and moving the main location from the west side of town. It closed down a few months ago, apparently lost some business during the pandemic and wasn't needed. I still miss it, right off the trail.

Got ya.  That was the only one of their locations I'd been to.

9 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Is Keo still around on 91st and Yale? They had great food for the time I lived up there. Burn Co is getting a lot of love here but I found their BBQ to be trash.

Burnco was never on my list except for catered events and parties I've attended. The chicken and sausage is really good, everything else I thought was just ok. I think I'm just partial to Texas style. There are BBQ trucks here that run circles around Burnco in my opinion. 1907 BBQ Truck is great, as is Killer Wail (mentioned above). 1907 is closed for a few weeks, they're moving from Cabin Boys to Mother Road Market. There's a new BBQ joint called Oakhart that opened recently and is getting good reviews, haven't tried yet.

I should also mention Mother Road Market, food hall with good bar selection and food selections. Chicken and the Wolf is great spicy chicken sandwich, by far the most popular place there. The outdoor area is huge and really fun for lunch or gathering. 

Edited by 'stache

Final suggestion. If you're into good whiskey, The Tulsan bar, near McNellies, had some Buffalo Trace Antique Collection last time I was there for a high but not insane price. The bar itself is okay, the whiskey selection is great. On the BBQ front, I also prefer Albert G's downtown to Burnco.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Final suggestion. If you're into good whiskey, The Tulsan bar, near McNellies, had some Buffalo Trace Antique Collection last time I was there for a high but not insane price. The bar itself is okay, the whiskey selection is great. On the BBQ front, I also prefer Albert G's downtown to Burnco.

We'll definitely be in that neighborhood, so may have to pop in.  I do like whiskey, but don't know it nearly as well as I do beer.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The one thing I liked at Albert G's was the smoked wings...I think they were called Roughneck wings. Those were fantastic. Didn't care for anything else though.  There was a cool bar in Brady called Valkyrie IIRC.

Edited by CooterBrown

If you consider Albert G’s you should know the following sentence has been uttered by human beings: “you should go to Albert G’s for BBQ, their tabouli is the best!”

Eerie Abbey Ales puts out good beer. Highly recommend  

Since you’ll be at Cain’s, Empire Slice House is right there and has a decent beer selection and good pizza by the slice. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

As long as it didn't take the Mercury with it...

It's good.  However, the blues place next door was destroyed:

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/new-video-blaze-at-burnco-barbecue-also-destroys-landmark-building-for-tulsa-sound/article_0f29cfc2-8fee-11ec-b27d-4b2d8fef5dfd.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

On 2/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

It’s the same building. I live close enough that I heard a bunch of fire trucks. Sad loss for the neighborhood even though I rarely went there. Went to some fun work and fundraising parties.

• 1 month later...

Hello Martha Fockers,

Returned to Surly for the first time in a few months to find out why in the hell did El Chile close?  WTF?  In Austin for first time this week since I moved to Tulsa last summer and planning my fatass itinerary.

Here’s and handful of T-town recs:

- La Tertulia - 2nd street downtown - outstanding New Mexican restaurant

- White River Fish Market - far north Tulsa near airport on north Sheridan - excellent fish market/restaurant that is similar to my old Austin staple Quality Seafood.

- Merritt’s Bakery - holy shit…if you’ve got a sweet tooth you’ll hurt yourself in this joint. Couple of locations.

- Society Burger legit.  Ladies and gents…the Theta Burger:

ED400B49-B2A0-477B-9B63-EF032BDBA530.thumb.jpeg.71209c65102971637b75165cef482e6f.jpeg

- Dozens of small hole-in-the-wall burger places, great new catfish place called Chippers Seafood at 104th and Memorial.

I miss HEB, Dervin and Crown & Anchor, Madam Mam’s, and my old spots like Dart Bowl (bet y’all do too), trips to Coopers…not much else.

Come up some time you sombitches.  Boomer…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

- White River Fish Market - far north Tulsa near airport on north Sheridan - excellent fish market/restaurant that is similar to my old Austin staple Quality Seafood.

Man, that place looks like a real winner.  I've probably been to Bodean restaurant and seafood market 20 times at two different locations in Tulsa over the years and have always enjoyed it, but had never heard of White River.  Gonna be in Tulsa in May.  Will hit that place.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

White River is decent. Don’t get your expectations up too high though.

On the market side, they’ve had this one big ass headless fish corpse in the freezer case for the 10 years I’ve been going there. It’s all freezer burned and looks disgusting. Maybe it’s their mascot or something but I’ve always thought it’s odd that no one has thought to remove it from the case.

Traditional burgers: Howdy Burger on 11th, Clauds and Webers on Brookside (Peoria Ave), Arnolds on the west side, Fat Guys Burger Bar downtown by the baseball stadium.

Fancy burgers: Smoke on Cherry Street, Society on Cherry Street (mentioned above), Roosevelts (also on Cherry Street); The Tavern downtown (one of my personal faves).

Do not go: Billy Sims Burgers, because his BBQ sucks, and he sucks.

Caveat: I never go south of I-44, so I'm likely missing places that might be out south.

Going to be in OKC in a couple weeks, stopping for a day and a half w/ the family on our drive home from Texas. Itinerary is shaping up but I'd love to hear thoughts/suggestions from people more familiar than me. We've got two young kids and will be traveling with our dog, so that has an impact on things.

Day 1

- arrive in OKC mid/late afternoon

- Scissortail Park so the dog can stretch her legs, kids can play on the playground

- happy hour/early dinner at Social Capital 

- hopefully put the kids to bed and grab a few pints at Prairie

Day 2

- Either Factory Obscura, an immersive art experience that looks fun for the kids

- Or First Americans Museum, which finally opened last year and is supposed to be fantastic

- lunch at Riviere Modern Banh Mi

- Skydance Brewery, a Native-owned craft brewery that's supposed to be pretty good

- dinner at Ludivine

Day 3

- breakfast at ?

- head home

On 3/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, 406W30th said:

Going to be in OKC in a couple weeks, stopping for a day and a half w/ the family on our drive home from Texas. Itinerary is shaping up but I'd love to hear thoughts/suggestions from people more familiar than me. We've got two young kids and will be traveling with our dog, so that has an impact on things.

Day 1

- arrive in OKC mid/late afternoon

- Scissortail Park so the dog can stretch her legs, kids can play on the playground

- happy hour/early dinner at Social Capital 

- hopefully put the kids to bed and grab a few pints at Prairie

Day 2

- Either Factory Obscura, an immersive art experience that looks fun for the kids

- Or First Americans Museum, which finally opened last year and is supposed to be fantastic

- lunch at Riviere Modern Banh Mi

- Skydance Brewery, a Native-owned craft brewery that's supposed to be pretty good

- dinner at Ludivine

Day 3

- breakfast at ?

- head home

Day 3 breakfast might depend where you’re staying. But, Kitchen 324 and Hatch are usually pretty decent. Skydance is a nice stop.  If you can also get by Stonecloud they’re making good product. 

• Hook 'Em 1