2023 NCAA Tournament - Elite 8

Pancho

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Are you still watching?

Yeah, I was and did. I probably watch 60 hours or so of the tournament every year. It's the best sporting event in the world. I love Texas basketball. I love college basketball just as much or more. It's why I was glued to the set over the last two weeks. It's why I'll be watching Saturday and Monday. I wish Texas was still playing. It isn't. The officials had nothing, zero, to do with that. Sans the occasional weirdness like the end of the Memphis game, for example, the officiating in the tournament has been good. I've no ties to referees on any level. No interest in them whatsoever, except that they do their jobs. They have so far.  

Cunningham call? He's allowed to hold his place in position for a rebound. He's not allowed to backpedal and take another player out to secure a rebound. That's a staple of Cunningham's game. He got called for it in a crucial moment today and it was the right call. Damn tough player. But he committed a foul. 

Miami ended the game on a 35-16 run over the last 10 minutes. We played really, no extremely, well for the for the first 30 minutes of the game. We played bad, and dumb, basketball over the last quarter. That last foul by Carr was a microcosm of our meltdown. But Miami made play after play when we struggled to make one, and it deserves credit for that. At the end of the day, it wasn't all about us and had zero to do with the officials. There are saps who will cling to that for awhile. They can't be helped. 

This was a kick in the groin today. It sucks and will for while. We needed to play better and just didn't when it mattered. That's it. Nothing more. On top pf that you give credit to a team that performed better than you when it mattered most.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Underdog said:

If UConn pulls this off, they get included to the Blue Blood Club?  5 Titles in a 24 yr span is pretty damn good. 

I'd say yes.  5 titles with 3 different head coaches in that scenario.

Some bluebloods *cough, UCLA, cough* have done virtually nothing outside of one coach despite being given ample time.

• Like 2

• Pancho unpinned this topic
6 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'd say yes.  5 titles with 3 different head coaches in that scenario.

Some bluebloods *cough, UCLA, cough* have done virtually nothing outside of one coach despite being given ample time.

If they win, I believe also undefeated in title games 

6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I'd probably throw in IU with UCLA also, but Bruin has had a decent string of FF runs especially in the 2000s. 

Maybe, but Blue Bloods are basically established via titles, not final fours, correct?  Duke for example had a number of final fours in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but they didn't get Blue Blood status until K won multiple (3+) titles.

UCLA was THE Blue Blood by the time Wooden left, but have 1 title in 48 years since then, along with 4 other final four appearances.  Would anyone say that gets a school Blue Blood status?  If so, Syracuse is also a Blue Blood since Boeheim matched that in his tenure.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

If you say it had nothing to do with the officials you either haven't played a competitive sport in your life or it's been 50 years.

9 calls first half to 28 calls second half that, at a bare minimum, disrupted Texas' game and flow. But more so refs bailed out Miami multiple times and helped keep them in it. The officials legitimately missed 3 to 4 crucial calls to the point that the missed calls were questioned live by the TV announcers. Clean blocked shots on Texas, missed travels on Miami and the egregious reversal on a block out.

But yeah, officials had no impact on the game. Get real. Don't ignore the obvious in some lame attempt to seem objective.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Maybe, but Blue Bloods are basically established via titles, not final fours, correct?  Duke for example had a number of final fours in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but they didn't get Blue Blood status until K won multiple (3+) titles.

UCLA was THE Blue Blood by the time Wooden left, but have 1 title in 48 years since then, along with 4 other final four appearances.  Would anyone say that gets a school Blue Blood status?  If so, Syracuse is also a Blue Blood since Boeheim matched that in his tenure.

Fair point but would you argue against UNC being a blue blood with only 1 title but multiple FF trips in the 60s/70s before Dean broke through in '82?  They became one of the top programs during that time same for Duke under Bubas. JMO, but I put relevancy of a program's BB status don't feel IU has been relevant for quite sometime and UCLA has done enough, Syracuse is a good argument same with Louisville, Mich. St. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Fair point but would you argue against UNC being a blue blood with only 1 title but multiple FF trips in the 60s/70s before Dean broke through in '82?  They became one of the top programs during that time same for Duke under Bubas. JMO, but I put relevancy of a program's BB status don't feel IU has been relevant for quite sometime and UCLA has done enough, Syracuse is a good argument same with Louisville, Mich. St. 

To be honest, I have no idea.  I don't know exactly when each school got it's Blue Blood status.  I just know that by the time I was old enough to understand the concept of Blue Blood schools in a sport (mid-to-late 90s), UCLA, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and Indiana were generally considered to be in that tier.

Personally, I don't really consider UCLA or Indiana Blue Bloods right now.  But that's probably not a widely held opinion.  To me, they're something like "Blue Bloods in hibernation" or "Legacy Blue Bloods." They need another title from this century to get that full status restored.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Clark is ridiculous. 40 point triple double, geez.

She's the most exciting player to watch left in the tournament on either side. Just electric. I saw her whip several cross court passes through traffic that hit the shooter perfectly in the hands. They'll probably end up facing South Carolina on Friday, what a battle that should be.

• Hook 'Em 1