Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

On 7/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

He's also a Rust Belt guy through and through.  He loves Ohio, and wants to climb that mountain, IMO.

He could be our Bill Snyder though, you're right.  I just don't think he wants that.

I like Campbell a lot and hope he stays at Iowa State.  Like the fanbase and it's good for the conference if he can at least make them a kstate-like player, relevant nationally and in b12 hunt every few years.

Unfortunately the Snyders, Petersens, and Pattersons of the world are quite few and far between (and even Petersen was eventually wooed away, but waited much longer than expected and until Harsin was ready to take over).

Time will tell if he's that type or not.  If not, hopefully you at least get the Petersen treatment where he'll make you relevant and leave you with a good succession plan. 

We're fine.  An AAU school with 35k student body, that's largest in its state and draws 60K for football and 14k for basketball will not be left out.  In the era of cord cutting, where actual interest in a program matters, were more valuable than at least 1/3rd of current P5 schools.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We're fine.  An AAU school with 35k student body, that's largest in its state and draws 60K for football and 14k for basketball will not be left out.  In the era of cord cutting, where actual interest in a program matters, were more valuable than at least 1/3rd of current P5 schools.

Agreed, I would argue that Iowa State is at least a top 50 program, after about 35ish flagship schools & maybe 3 or 4 private schools...

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Machinator said:

Not a big surprise.  I wish Zeb the best.  He just wasn't going to get ahead of Brock Purdy and would likely be passed by Re-Al Mitchell too.  And he really didn't get much help from our OL.  I presume he'll land closer to home (from Athens, GA suburbs iirc).  The real ISU related QB story is Brock Purdy's little younger brother in Gilbert AZ (Perry HS).  If he's better than Brock as advertised there should be some heavy-hitters interested.  And he goes by Chubba.  I have no idea what his given name is?...hope it's not Chubba.

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

So what is Kempt going to do?

Keep going to grad school, I guess.  Dude's essentially a GA now and I don't think he really cares if he ever plays again.  Kind of hard to get a read on Kyle.  He looks like he's on quaaludes most of the time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Keep going to grad school, I guess.  Dude's essentially a GA now and I don't think he really cares if he ever plays again.  Kind of hard to get a read on Kyle.  He looks like he's on quaaludes most of the time.

I have such a skewed view of a lot of the QBs we play against because we make them look so good.  I figured he was grad transferring to Alabama next year to be their starter and win the NC and Heisman.   

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

So, why with Riley?  I understand winning is good but it seems to me that Rhule did more with a lot less.

I’m going to guess that Murray’s performance has surprised a lot of people. Physically the guy doesn’t impress anyone. Sure he can run, but that sure didn’t seem to help him while at aggy. Not to mention OU is toast without him.

So maybe his performance under Riley while following Mayfield had a lot to do with it?

2 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Going to try to get some revenge for the Drake loss in '85 I guess.  Yes we lost to fucking Drake in 1985. 

Always been a DU fan though, one of my HS buddies played DE there.

Ahh, that explains this tattoo this poor lass has to endure (or maybe not)...

drake-fan-forehead-tattoo.jpg

3 hours ago, Hamttx said:

I’m going to guess that Murray’s performance has surprised a lot of people. Physically the guy doesn’t impress anyone. Sure he can run, but that sure didn’t seem to help him while at aggy. Not to mention OU is toast without him.

So maybe his performance under Riley while following Mayfield had a lot to do with it?

OU spreads it out so much that it's a lot easier for the Ewok to find passing lanes as well as running lanes.  He'd be a lot less effective trapped in the pocket of a conventional offense.

4 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Going to try to get some revenge for the Drake loss in '85 I guess.  Yes we lost to fucking Drake in 1985. 

Always been a DU fan though, one of my HS buddies played DE there.

I was at that game, sitting a few rows behind the Drake bench.  Miserable game.  Then somehow in our final game that year we turned around and beat a #7 Okie State team led by Thurman Thomas in one of the coldest and windiest games I've ever attended.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll be at the Alamo Bowl rooting for ISU, because just like aggy “Big XII, Big XII, Big XII”!!!!!

I live in the SA area and I’ve been to the last 6-7 in a row. Most of them have been really good bowl games, especially when the cockroaches were there.

I like the Pirate, but have to root for the Cyclones on this one.

• Like 1