Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not new, but gonna be hard to keep Matt Campbell around for more than 2-3 more years at Iowa State....... 6 NFL Teams inquired about him during this off-season.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2019/02/05/iowa-state-cyclones-matt-campbell-big-12-conference-nfl-new-york-jets-green-bay-packers-hirings/2776191002/

(shrug)

I don't expect him to stay forever, but he's had a lot of opportunities to leave and hasn't yet.  It's really, really hard for people to wrap their head around the idea that someone might want to stick around and build something, vs. chasing the shiny ball.  I don't know where Campbell is on that spectrum, but the longer he stays, the longer I think he'll stay.

He will eventually get worn down by the limitations the school’s location imposes on its ability to consistently compete at the highest levels.  As his age creeps up on him he’ll get a feeling that it’s now or never to go somewhere he can win it all.  I’d say 4 more years is about the max he will stick around.  He’ll be 43 at that point.  Not old for a coach but that’s when the career clock starts ticking loudly. 

Disclaimer.  This is all total bullshit.   

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

He will eventually get worn down by the limitations the school’s location imposes on its ability to consistently compete at the highest levels.  As his age creeps up on him he’ll get a feeling that it’s now or never to go somewhere he can win it all.  I’d say 4 more years is about the max he will stick around.  He’ll be 43 at that point.  Not old for a coach but that’s when the career clock starts ticking loudly. 

Disclaimer.  This is all total bullshit.   

That's about the time frame I've always expected.

That said, those limitations have never bothered Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder.  No one in history has gotten more out of averaging 7.5 wins (in the worst division in football no less) than Kirk Ferentz.  Campbell could go down that road and retire wealthy and a god on his own terms.

Or he could do what most people in his situation do, which is statistically more likely.  He'll be fine either way.

EDIT:  I was just spitballing Ferentz's average wins per season.  I just did the math, and it's 7.6.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

31 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

You saw what not having Montgomery did to that offense. Next year is a come back to earth year for the Clones. No montgomery,  no big WR...let’s see how they do next year. 

With their young QB (Brock Purdy) plus Tom Manning returning from the Colts  (OC/OL coach)..... Wouldn't count Campbell out just yet in 2019.

(This has flown under the radar, but Matt Campbell happy to get this former Asst Coach back at Iowa State from Indianapolis Colts....)

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/01/18/iowa-state-football-tom-manning-returns-coaching-staff-offensive-coordinator-indianapolis-colts/2614649002/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus Iowa State has a secret weapon......

0d93dcd019b6c78a083dc25f72af0fe7.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

You saw what not having Montgomery did to that offense. Next year is a come back to earth year for the Clones. No montgomery,  no big WR...let’s see how they do next year. 

Meh, who were those guys before they saw some success? If Campbell is what many think, he can replace a player here or there. Play fundamental football and win some games, with an upset here and there.

What will always hamper him is entertaining any idea of a conference championship. It is unlikely that he can build the depth needed to do that. And unlike the Synder era situation while he was building up K-State. Campbell does not have the good fortune of one of the worst periods in OU history and a less then stellar Texas. He will have to face both at close to full strength every year.

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

2 4 star RBs are coming in.  One’s already enrolled.  Campbell found and recruited Kareem Hunt and David Montgomery.  I trust his ability to scout the position.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

With their young QB (Brock Purdy) plus Tom Manning returning from the Colts  (OC/OL coach)..... Wouldn't count Campbell out just yet in 2019.

(This has flown under the radar, but Matt Campbell happy to get this former Asst Coach back at Iowa State from Indianapolis Colts....)

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/01/18/iowa-state-football-tom-manning-returns-coaching-staff-offensive-coordinator-indianapolis-colts/2614649002/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus Iowa State has a secret weapon......

0d93dcd019b6c78a083dc25f72af0fe7.gif

I have a blunt instrument as a secret weapon. I am prepared for battle should the need arise.

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're a Baylor fan, right?

Yep and BU probably shouldn't be allowed to have an athletic department for a while and the BoR should all have resigned due to catastrophic failure. That doesnt change the fact that this is risky for ISU. Penn State dropped their offer and 247 doesnt show any new offers outside of ISU's since the incident, but I haven't kept up with his story so maybe others were interested.

Edited by SimonBolivar

21 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yep and BU probably shouldn't be allowed to have an athletic department for a while and the BoR should all have resigned due to catastrophic failure. That doesnt change the fact that this is risky for ISU. Penn State dropped their offer and 247 doesnt show any new offers outside of ISU's since the incident, but I haven't kept up with his story so maybe others were interested.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Isheem-Young-85435/RecruitInterests/

Looks like you guys offered.

He might be a risk, but worst case scenario is that he fucks up and Campbell boots him.  He's shown a relatively short leash for kids who cause trouble.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He might be a risk, but worst case scenario is that he fucks up and Campbell boots him.  He's shown a relatively short leash for kids who cause trouble.

ISU fan.....

Enjoy a lot of your posts, but you seem a little over sensitive on the criticism of ISU signing this player.  I guess there's more to the story as to why Campbell is giving this kid a 2nd chance, but any criticism of signing this convicted arm robber has to be expected right??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-isheem-young-commit-iowa-state-20190206-story,amp.html

Edited by LTtxfan

41 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Baylor offered him on 2/1/17... dammit, now I’m defending f’n Baylor. 

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well I'd say worst case scenario is this time the gun he uses to steal over $10K goes off, but yes there are circumstances for 2nd chances I get that. It just seemed odd that according to 247 (again I didn't look into it any further that reading their timeline) nobody else offered after the was charged and Penn State rescinded their offer.

38 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ISU fan.....

Enjoy a lot of your posts, but you seem a little over sensitive on the criticism of ISU signing this player.  I guess there's more to the story as to why Campbell is giving this kid a 2nd chance, but any criticism of signing this convicted arm robber has to be expected right??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-isheem-young-commit-iowa-state-20190206-story,amp.html

I’m fine with the criticism, as long as it’s coming from a school that didn’t offer him, or one that has no room to criticize anyone about anything.

Either he gets his shit together, or he doesn’t.  If he pulls shit in Ames, and Campbell keeps him around (like Joe Mixon), the criticism will be warranted and I won’t defend it

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m fine with the criticism, as long as it’s coming from a school that didn’t offer him, or one that has no room to criticize anyone about anything.

Either he gets his shit together, or he doesn’t.  If he pulls shit in Ames, and Campbell keeps him around (like Joe Mixon), the criticism will be warranted and I won’t defend it

Hah, I haven't given a dime to BU or attended a single campus event since all of this came out in the open. Hell if I want to go to the theatre now I have to go see a McLennan Community College production so that I won't be giving BU any money to watch one of theirs. Just because I went to Baylor doesn't mean I'm a spokesman for the university nor does it mean I support anything that goes on there.

• Like 1

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Hah, I haven't given a dime to BU or attended a single campus event since all of this came out in the open. Hell if I want to go to the theatre now I have to go see a McLennan Community College production so that I won't be giving BU any money to watch one of theirs. Just because I went to Baylor doesn't mean I'm a spokesman for the university nor does it mean I support anything that goes on there.

You’re fine, just explaining my umbrage to your critique.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

You’re fine, just explaining my umbrage to your critique.

But your response is completely a fan response It's 100% "Campbell has this no doubt don't worry about it". I don't think we can do that with what we know about college athletics in 2019 with anyone. Now I'm not saying that Campbell should be fired and maybe he is the best disciplinarian in the country with the cleanest program in history, but it is interesting that he's willing to take a chance on a guy that nobody else is willing to do. Especially on a guy that is obviously this talented with offers from Penn State, Alabama, Clemson, George, Michigan, LSU, and plenty more before the incident.

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

But your response is completely a fan response It's 100% "Campbell has this no doubt don't worry about it". I don't think we can do that with what we know about college athletics in 2019 with anyone. Now I'm not saying that Campbell should be fired and maybe he is the best disciplinarian in the country with the cleanest program in history, but it is interesting that he's willing to take a chance on a guy that nobody else is willing to do. Especially on a guy that is obviously this talented with offers from Penn State, Alabama, Clemson, George, Michigan, LSU, and plenty more before the incident.

I'm saying Campbell hasn't made a mistake by offering him a second chance.

This might blow up in his face, and if this guy fucks up at ISU, we should cut bait immediately.  Thus far, Campbell hasn't tolerated much in Ames.  This is his first go round offering a troubled, yet talented player.  There isn't much track record to base an opinion on.

If Campbell sticks with the guy after any further transgressions, then he deserves any criticism he gets and anyone defending the move will be in total "fan response" mode.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm saying Campbell hasn't made a mistake by offering him a second chance.

This might blow up in his face, and if this guy fucks up at ISU, we should cut bait immediately.  Thus far, Campbell hasn't tolerated much in Ames.  This is his first go round offering a troubled, yet talented player.  There isn't much track record to base an opinion on.

If Campbell sticks with the guy after any further transgressions, then he deserves any criticism he gets and anyone defending the move will be in total "fan response" mode.

Campbell seems like a quality guy.... has to be more to this story on why he's giving this kid a 2nd chance.

Personally I hope the kid really takes advantage of this 2nd chance, straightens out his life and learns to help others like his coach at Iowa State.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Campbell seems like a quality guy.... has to be more to this story on why he's giving this kid a 2nd chance.

Personally I hope the kid really takes advantage of this 2nd chance, straightens out his life and learns to help others like his coach at Iowa State.

I think he feels he can straighten the kid out.  The guy is very careful with his image, persona, etc.  He must feel the risk is worth the potential reward.  I don't really know beyond that.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Nah, that would be (also) corn-fed Kansas State, who gave Campbell hell even with the program in decline.

Accurate.

Last year's Farmageddon was one of the most cathartic sport events I've ever attended.  Iowa (and UT to a lesser extent) is now the monkey on his back.  We had Iowa beaten in '17, but a late defensive collapse (and a previous Jacob Park INT inside our own 15) sealed the deal.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

20 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

It will either be something that backfires and is a bad look for our coaches, or turns into a great redemption story.  I'm hoping for the ladder obviously.   From what I read he was all set to go to West Virginia before Dana left, but when he left we hired an assistant from West Virginia (Caponi), and he was the kids recruiter at West Virginia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

This! OU football fans are mostly t-shirt fans who never attended OU or any college. 

and a lot of them live in Texas for some reason. I have a buddy who is a die hard OU fan who attended a smaller Texas university and has never even seen a game in Norman and has only been in the state of Oklahoma once.

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

and a lot of them live in Texas for some reason. I have a buddy who is a die hard OU fan who attended a smaller Texas university and has never even seen a game in Norman and has only been in the state of Oklahoma once.

Sounds like Iowa Husker fans.

The biggest shit heads in college sports.  I’d take a Hawk fan who went to ISU over an Iowan Husker.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Decent grad-transfer WR pickup for Iowa State....

Ex-Arkansas WR Pettway going to Iowa State

3:17 PM CT

ESPN

Graduate transfer La'Michael Pettway, who was Arkansas' leading receiver last season, announced Monday he has committed to play for Iowa State.  "So many feelings & mixed emotions, a lot of praying went into this decision!! All of this was a lot to process but it's reality. I'm not sure exactly what to say, but to the University of Arkansas, The community, My help academically, My parents, even relationships that I've lost before making this decision, I wouldn't be who I am today without you," he said in a statement to multiple media outlets.

"To the fans some happy-some not, I appreciate you guys making my days as a Razorback some to remember. BEING THE FIRST in my immediate family to receive a college degree is more than an accomplishment of mine that I'll forever cherish! With all of that being said @Cyclonefootball let's make it happen."

Pettway had 499 receiving yards last season to lead the Razorbacks. He also had 30 receptions and four touchdown receptions.  The Cyclones need to replace leading receiver Hakeem Butler, who declared for the NFL draft and was selected by the Arizona Cardinals. Butler had 60 receptions for 1,318 yards and nine touchdown catches last season.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ace000087 said:

Thanks.... good article.  Offense will miss Butler, but all of 2018 OL returning should really help Purdy.  DL will be best position group on defense.  Here's a headline in article...

The Cyclones rank No. 24 in Athlon's Top 25 for 2019