2023 Houston mayoral election

MonkeyDoughnut

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Overall I like what Turner has done but admittedly one of my obvious touchpoints with city services (trash pickup) has suffered over the last few years. Harvey seemed to have aged the trash collection equipment and COVID/inflation have decimated their employee ranks in terms of they can't find people to work for them.

The result is that they're always late in picking up recycling or yard waste. I know this is a 1st world problem but I'm paying more for city services and receiving less services. I'm ok in paying more but I expect to the services to at least live up to stated schedules.

Yeah, after Harvey trash pickup was always late for over a year. That improved but recycling has been late every single pickup week ever since, and yard waste seems to be completely random now.   I get the reasons, but the lack of improvement is frustrating.

Lina endorsing SJL and Hollins dropping out of the race are pretty clearly due to some pressure from the national party. I'll never understand why SJL has such sway with party leadership.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, after Harvey trash pickup was always late for over a year. That improved but recycling has been late every single pickup week ever since, and yard waste seems to be completely random now.   I get the reasons, but the lack of improvement is frustrating.

Lina endorsing SJL and Hollins dropping out of the race are pretty clearly due to some pressure from the national party. I'll never understand why SJL has such sway with party leadership.

not to turn this into a Houston vent session, but I don't know why the city tells me that my recycle pickup is a Tuesday when it's been a Wednesday for 4+ years now. And last week, the city just quietly admitted (on their webpage only) that they were skipping (not postponing) us entirely for recycling due to Monday's holiday.  My small amount of yard trash has been on my sidewalk for a month now when that is supposed to be a weekly pickup. The compostable bag may not last another week.

SJL has always played up to national Dem leaders. I would assume that she can get the Clintons or Pelosi to call anyone on her behalf. And if you're Hollins running for Houston and the top party officials ask you to step back, you probably do it. Big risk to turn down their request, which is probably accompanied by donation money as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Amanda Edwards also dropped out to run for SJL’s seat. Whether that’s a special if she wins or an open 2024 race. Or both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/26/2023 at 10:52 AM, Js1 said:

Amanda Edwards also dropped out to run for SJL’s seat. Whether that’s a special if she wins or an open 2024 race. Or both. 

If Whitmire ends up winning against SJL, I’m interested to see what SJL does regarding her House seat. No law against changing your mind and running again in ‘24.

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Whitmire ends up winning against SJL, I’m interested to see what SJL does regarding her House seat. No law against changing your mind and running again in ‘24.

Nope, and she doesn't have to resign to run for mayor.  She is 73

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 1:54 PM, tx 3 putt said:

😂😂😂😂

Whitmire and Lee both had illegal donations from contractors.  Nothing will happen. 

There was finally a poll for this race as well from Hobby School of Public Affairs:

Whitmire 26%
SJL 24%

Everyone else 5% and under

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Same poll had Whitmire way ahead of SJL in a 2-way race.

Like 51-33 in favor of Whitmire.  Run-offs can be unpredictable though.

And they're dumb.  But the Texas GOP will never allow rank choice voting 

I'm willing to admit that I'm one of the few people on Earth that doesn't currently have a strong opinion one way or another on SJL. Of course I know her name, but I don't actually know much else about her, other than she gets people awfully stirred up.

Reading about Whitmire, he seems pretty uninspiring IMO. "Republicans' favorite Democrat" kind of guy. Feels like we should be able to do better.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

I'm willing to admit that I'm one of the few people on Earth that doesn't currently have a strong opinion one way or another on SJL. Of course I know her name, but I don't actually know much else about her, other than she gets people awfully stirred up.

Reading about Whitmire, he seems pretty uninspiring IMO. "Republicans' favorite Democrat" kind of guy. Feels like we should be able to do better.

We could be able to do better, but two old ass politicians with tremendous name recognition decided to enter the race and the younger, more dynamic candidates read the writing on the wall and realized what an uphill climb it would be and changed races.

• 2 months later...