2023 Houston mayoral election

MonkeyDoughnut

1 hour ago, Smax said:
1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:
She saw how much money Sylvester made and wants a piece. 

The gift of being the mayor of Houston is more than congress, who knew.

Well the mayor isn't competing with 434 other assholes.  

2 hours ago, Smax said:
2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:
She saw how much money Sylvester made and wants a piece. 

The gift of being the mayor of Houston is more than congress, who knew.

she’s old and ready to retire is how I see it 

curious how big a war chest she’s bringing

Can the R’s stir up a big name ?

Mack did such a good job queenmaking in the County Judge race.

It was clearly stolen, didn’t you get the memo. Or his ridiculous letter in the paper?

I may be missing your point, but isn’t Sylvester Turner also black? 

Dude, you are all over the place today. You fully know how many people, especially the white conservatives in this city view her. Uppity is a word that comes to mind. I am not saying she should be mayor or that you should like her, but you know exactly what I am talking about.
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dude, you are all over the place today. You fully know how many people, especially the white conservatives in this city view her. Uppity is a word that comes to mind. I am not saying she should be mayor or that you should like her, but you know exactly what I am talking about.

Yeah I get that. I just don’t get the race angle that they would already hold for Turner?  SJL may be disliked, but to my knowledge she’s not an out and out crook.  The same cannot be said for Turner. 

Yeah I get that. I just don’t get the race angle that they would already hold for Turner?  SJL may be disliked, but to my knowledge she’s not an out and out crook.  The same cannot be said for Turner. 

You don’t think those same folks say the same shit on social media or amongst friends on the links? Setting aside whether he is a crook or not.

Now add to it that she is a woman.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

You don’t think those same folks say the same shit on social media or amongst friends on the links? Setting aside whether he is a crook or not.

Now add to it that she is a woman.

Oh sure. I guess I just thought I was missing something the way I read your post.  I think those that are racist would already hate Turner (due to his race).  I’m all for her taking it. Need some new blood in the office, and I’m watching from the outside.   Might as well be someone on the decline rather than a young up and comer (Lina). 

Whitmire is winning in any normal  election before last 10 years

Chris Hollins  could win if progressives rally. He was awesome for turnout at presidential level, huge drop off when he left and Lina H had a close call

Amanda Edwards is my girlfriend. Her and I practice making kids. I’d love to be your first man. Just getting that out there before someone does a surly deep dive. She thinks y’all are hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Whitmire is winning in any normal  election before last 10 years

Chris Hollins  could win if progressives rally. He was awesome for turnout at presidential level, huge drop off when he left and Lina H had a close call

Amanda Edwards is my girlfriend. Her and I practice making kids. I’d love to be your first man. Just getting that out there before someone does a surly deep dive. She thinks y’all are hilarious.

The plot thickens !!!!!

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Given the make-up of our state legislature, it's probably a waste of money for any of the major cities to spend a dime on lobbying. It's not like it's going to change any minds. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Given the make-up of our state legislature, it's probably a waste of money for any of the major cities to spend a dime on lobbying. It's not like it's going to change any minds. 

Texas maga gqp has to take over elections in the Whole Foods counties and on university campuses. This must get done at all costs 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Texas maga gqp has to take over elections in the Whole Foods counties and on university campuses. This must get done at all costs 

Yep, and it's already happening. No amount of lobbying is going to change it.

The racist comments will be off the charts on social media.  I am guessing 1-3 surly posters will be banned if she wins.

Yeah, I would prefer someone else for mayor because of her age and having spent the past ~30 years in the house. I’d rather go younger and would like to see some kind of executive/managerial experience. That said, as an observer of Houston politics it’s always seemed to me that the outsized amount of hate she gets is because she’s a black woman. Yeah she’s got dumb gaffes but so do all of them. Even other Democrats don’t draw the ire she does and it’s not like she’s held the power of a Pelosi or someone like that. The aggy belt crowd will be apoplectic if she wins, which is ironic because the race is irrelevant to most of them anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The aggy belt crowd will be apoplectic if she wins, which is ironic because the race is irrelevant to most of them anyway.

Don’t give me a reason to vote for her 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've lived in SJL's district for much of the last 2 decades, and I have yet to see her do anything worthwhile. Admittedly she shows up when there is a camera. I even assume that she votes in a manner that I basically agree with but so would any winning candidate in her our district. In every primary race, I vote for the Dem candidate who's name is not SJL. And for the general election, I leave that election blank. I realize my actions do not change the outcome.

The frequent stories of her entitlement and poor treatment of staff, go beyond the usual stories that you hear from DC. Are the stories only created or spread due to her race and sex? I guess anything is possible but seems unlikely.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Don’t give me a reason to vote for her 

Dont make that assumption. Every right of center person I’ve heard talk about it is hoping and praying she will.  They of course are hoping for the worst decision for Harris county, and dgaf who it is. 

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The frequent stories of her entitlement and poor treatment of staff, go beyond the usual stories that you hear from DC. Are the stories only created or spread due to her race and sex? I guess anything is possible but seems unlikely.

No, when I worked on the Hill all accounts I heard about her were that she is an awful person and easily the worst member in the Texas delegation to work for, possibly the House. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I would prefer someone else for mayor because of her age and having spent the past ~30 years in the house. I’d rather go younger and would like to see some kind of executive/managerial experience. That said, as an observer of Houston politics it’s always seemed to me that the outsized amount of hate she gets is because she’s a black woman. Yeah she’s got dumb gaffes but so do all of them. Even other Democrats don’t draw the ire she does and it’s not like she’s held the power of a Pelosi or someone like that. The aggy belt crowd will be apoplectic if she wins, which is ironic because the race is irrelevant to most of them anyway.

Her crazy persona is an act. She’s very smart.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, elfenix said:

From the article, it’s clear that he doesn’t live in Houston but it might just come down to that it can’t be proven. And the homestead exemption will be explained as a clerical mistake.

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

SJL has my vote 

Seems a win-win

Gets her out of Congress and really will piss off the aggys that Harris County and Houston are run by a young Latina woman and an older black woman they love to hate 

• Hook 'Em 1

Overall I like what Turner has done but admittedly one of my obvious touchpoints with city services (trash pickup) has suffered over the last few years. Harvey seemed to have aged the trash collection equipment and COVID/inflation have decimated their employee ranks in terms of they can't find people to work for them.

The result is that they're always late in picking up recycling or yard waste. I know this is a 1st world problem but I'm paying more for city services and receiving less services. I'm ok in paying more but I expect to the services to at least live up to stated schedules.