2023 FIBA World Cup

UpperWestside

I never see the ESPN site for the US because of a trip in January that linked me to the Aussie version, but I saw a Windhorst article on there about the game.

Reaves is the fan favorite because, Lakers. I am sure that can be annoying to other fanbases, but the team has the biggest worldwide fanbase so he gets the biggest cheers. 

The first unit seems to have been surprised that the All Blacks would come out and play physical. That part is on the coaches as they should have probably emphasized that point more. If New Zealand was competing in a croquet match they’d find a way to be physical and smash mallets. Physicality is kind of their national trait. The 2nd unit seems to have picked up on that and pushed the pace according to Windhorst. This team is going to have to push end-to-end to win the tournament. Perhaps inserting Reaves in with the starters might make sense as he plays a style that works in international play.

Edited by UpperWestside

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I haven’t seen France but sounds like their offense/ point guards are abysmal.

Oh well…. I didn’t want Rudy playing too much into Sept anyways

France has completely collapsed. Getting the doors blown off in the first game seems to have destroyed any shot they had. Losing today probably gets them a whole new coaching staff and management team going forward.

On 8/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, Fastbreak said:

Austin Reeves has been the best player on the team so far.

His ascent is somewhat incredible. Two years ago he was on almost no one’s radar and now he is a major factor and component of our national team. I enjoy seeing players succeed like he has. 

Some great results today it seems like looking at the scores. If I wasn’t spending all day at the beach these would’ve been some great games to see earlier this morning. The Aussies, Spain, Canada and Serbia all done. Results like this are a huge boon for the growth of the game on a worldwide level. Luka didn’t even have to have a big game for the Slovenians to move on.

The US can’t take a single thing for granted. Thankfully having two great NBA head coaches in Kerr and Spoelstra making the decisions should be a big advantage for the final three games. Glad that both of them are leading things coaching-wise.

I think that more teams are going to have to unearth players like this going forward. The Heat and Lakers have just been ahead of the curve on this, but eventually other organizations catch up.

Yep. Don’t need to score 30PPG to be a very effective player. Do everything good to well..,and nothing superb

Reaves was the best player again this morning
  • Hook 'Em 1

US and Lithuania play tomorrow. Both have qualified for quarters.

Same for Germany and Slovenia as they play tomorrow but both are already qualified at 4-0 

Winners of tomorrow games qualify for quarters in the other brackets as all teams are 3-1. Should be some competitive games. Too bad they’re not on at reasonable times.

Italy v Puerto Rico 

Brazil v Latvia

Dominican Republic v Serbia

Spain v Canada. 

11 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

They will eventually have to either make a documentary or movie about this. This is an astounding achievement for them considering  the extremely difficult circumstances they are in as a country. I also hope this helps lead Ivey to a good head coaching job in the next 2-3 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It sucks that we’re losing by 17 at the half, but it’s awesome to watch Lithuania play fundamental basketball. Helps that they haven’t fucking missed. FIBA basketball really is a superior product to the NBA in terms of officiating and pace of play.

49 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It sucks that we’re losing by 17 at the half, but it’s awesome to watch Lithuania play fundamental basketball. Helps that they haven’t fucking missed. FIBA basketball really is a superior product to the NBA in terms of officiating and pace of play.

No way. The officiating is pathetic. Pace of play is a push. It's a glorified college game. 

Team USA is still not built properly. Have to be able to rebound the ball and there are no rebounding bigs on this team. 

Fuck every team that's not the USA.

Just now, Kermit said:

My man, do you even NBA ref? They actually call violations in FIBA.

The lack of constant timeouts and commercials is not a bad thing. 

I was looking at the refereeing independently of the NBA. I don't feel that in the international game, USA gets the same calls the opposition gets.

Agreed on the lack of timeouts and commercials. FIBA doesn't have a brand to maintain and we're 'Murica so we push capitalism to the extreme, hence the incessant ads.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

I was looking at the refereeing independently of the NBA. I don't feel that in the international game, USA gets the same calls the opposition gets.

Agreed on the lack of timeouts and commercials. FIBA doesn't have a brand to maintain and we're 'Murica so we push capitalism to the extreme, hence the incessant ads.

They probably don’t. FIBA refs don’t reward the Hardenesque foul hunting calls. There’s always an adjustment and the guys who play over there obviously have an advantage. As to the commercials, there’s got to be a way ad placement can replace constant stoppages. Baseball has somewhat figured it out. Watching football this weekend was an absolute beating with all the breaks. I digress. Hopefully this turns up the heat on the guys. It’s aleays good to get that wake-up loss in a round where it doesn’t affect your chances of advancing.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The officiating nuances between the international and NBA game are still new to most American players. The NBA will almost never call a travel and the international game is more physical which does not translate well for many of the American players. 

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

They probably don’t. FIBA refs don’t reward the Hardenesque foul hunting calls. There’s always an adjustment and the guys who play over there obviously have an advantage. As to the commercials, there’s got to be a way ad placement can replace constant stoppages. Baseball has somewhat figured it out. Watching football this weekend was an absolute beating with all the breaks. I digress. Hopefully this turns up the heat on the guys. It’s aleays good to get that wake-up loss in a round where it doesn’t affect your chances of advancing.

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

The officiating nuances between the international and NBA game are still new to most American players. The NBA will almost never call a travel and the international game is more physical which does not translate well for many of the American players. 

Gotta go back to the 1980s NBA style ball. I am sick and tired of seeing our boys getting bodied up in these FIBA matches.

Well made it exciting at the end. Lithuania just kept counter punching our runs

Wasted a damn good game from

Seems like 50% of the team is tired of being there. They’re used to being “the guy” on their nba teams and can’t stand the thought of referring to others

Keep ant, bridges, haliburton, reaves and banchero

Fill the rest of the team out with bigs and 3 pt shooters

The US got a nice break getting Italy next. After that going against a highly motivated possible opponent in Germany seems kind of daunting for this competition, especially if Schroeder continues to give the Germans elite play from the point. Best thing to happen for the US is for the Serbians and Lithuanians to play each other. Our lack of size gets painfully exposed against teams like that. I am not fully on board with loading the team up with wings with length because of that being a strength we have. Going forward we are going to have to find at least 2 bangers that do not mind physical play. Kerr may not like that, but being unbending in that respect may eventually cost the US.