Portable usb phone charger options?

1. theres actually plenty of those

2. dont buy anker blindly

ive used to like anker, but over time ive gotten enough duds at high enough frequency across a range of products (usb hub, wireless charger, cables, bluetooth speaker, etc) that brand might as well be a crapshoot. 

there's a few similar chinese names like ravpower and aukey that ive had enough success with that id happily buy them over anker

edit: monoprice might be worth a look

Edited by 52-80

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I’ve had many of them in the past, but none of them (the small single/double charge types) would plug in to the wall to charge, and at the same time charge your phone.

Recommendations?

When do you need that option? Can't you just plug both into wall?

• Like 1

The feature you are looking for is called "pass-through charging" and is somewhat rare.

Anker doesn't do it any more, here's their explanation why: https://support.anker.com/s/article/Do-Anker-power-banks-support-pass-through-charging

Their wall plug power banks like linked above will not simultaneously charge the power bank and your connected device, they will finish charging your device first and then to back to charging their internal battery.

• Like 1

I’ve been running the same 3 port Mophie 2000mAh charger with pass-thru charging for at least 7 or 8 years. I keep waiting for it to die or for a port or the pass-thru function to quit working but it just keeps on keeping on.  

12 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

When do you need that option? Can't you just plug both into wall?

Lots of hotels still only have one or two usb ports near the bed and the pass-thru charging lets you charge an ipad, a phone, and the battery all at once without a multiport charger plug box thingy. 

25 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Lots of hotels still only have one or two usb ports near the bed and the pass-thru charging lets you charge an ipad, a phone, and the battery all at once without a multiport charger plug box thingy. 

You should never use hotel USB charging ports ever for your phone.

Socket plug always and just get a multi port one.

Did Glenn beck tell you that?

The reason for this thread is for my kiddo so hotels aren’t the issue. But I doubt the Hampton inn in Richardson texas is capturing my data via the lamp with a usb port.

I’m a rep with a number of brands so I’m partial to mophie, Scosche, nimble, and Philips chargers simply because I have samples and try them all out. I love MagSafe for my car mounts but use usbc pd wired charging for all charging.

I am now using a variety of Gallium Arsenide (GAN) chargers that can really reduce size while delivering lots of power. I like this mophie GAN charger a lot; it puts out 120w and can charge a laptop from one usbc and fast charge two phones. Most are wall chargers with foldable prongs but I like this one with a separate power cord. There are lots of them out there.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/chargers-and-batteries/chargers-&-batteries_phone-accessories/78323368?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

13 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Risks of random juice jacking have been fairly well debunked by now. And phones have gotten harder to hack via USB, newer ones all prompt the user to log in and allow data access before any data connection is allowed.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/05/fearmongering-over-public-charging-stations-needs-to-stop-heres-why/

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Risks of random juice jacking have been fairly well debunked by now. And phones have gotten harder to hack via USB, newer ones all prompt the user to log in and allow data access before any data connection is allowed.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/05/fearmongering-over-public-charging-stations-needs-to-stop-heres-why/

They are slow as shit for new phones. Get a power plug that's going to provide the right voltage for charging your device, especially if trying to charge power bank and phone off single USB plug.

It amazes me what junk folks use to charge their phones. Cheapshit Chinese crap. Underpowered antique shit. Folks using the same chargers they used for their iPhone 6. If you’re using a 1.8v car charger you can drive from Dallas to Seattle and it won’t charge your phone.

A PD charger can charge a phone so quickly. And MagSafe is very convenient for a lot of folks and fast if you go 15w.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:58 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

They are slow as shit for new phones. Get a power plug that's going to provide the right voltage for charging your device, especially if trying to charge power bank and phone off single USB plug.

im only using hotel plug at night, where i dont need high power and its actually marginally healthier for the battery