Anyone had gout before ?

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Woke up the other day and my foot/big toe was killing me . Thought I smashed it on something but pretty sure it’s gout. It’s painful as fuck. Anything besides pain meds to take to make it clear up faster ?

If it is gout and you have an attack, go to the doctor.   A prescription of indomethacin will help get rid of the attack then you will need you may need something like allipurinol to make sure you don't get another attack.   Been dealing with gout for over 30 years and have only had 2 attacks.  The first attack was very painful. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I got the gout. For sure go to doctor if you are having a flair up and snag some indo. Also, ibu taken at the onset is supposed to help lessen the duration of the attack. I don’t take allopurinol. I try to drink a shit ton of water daily and if I fall behind I eat a few of these in the morning and a few at night: 

IMG_0497.jpeg

8 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Woke up the other day and my foot/big toe was killing me . Thought I smashed it on something but pretty sure it’s gout. It’s painful as fuck. Anything besides pain meds to take to make it clear up faster ?

My friends that have had it in the 60+ age cohort uniformly attribute their first attacks to busy weekends outdoors that lacked hydration.

Avoid pork and booze, or so I've been told.  I know that doesn't help your immediate situation, but these are common inflamers for sufferers of gout.

37 minutes ago, slorch said:

Avoid pork and booze, or so I've been told.  I know that doesn't help your immediate situation, but these are common inflamers for sufferers of gout.

True…and why everyone here with gout is on allopurinol. Fuck giving up booze and bacon when there’s a simple, safe, and cheap fix.

• Like 1

Triggers can vary a lot. Mine was beef. Friend of mine is triggered by shellfish. Dehydration is always a common issue, though.
I got the gout. For sure go to doctor if you are having a flair up and snag some indo. Also, ibu taken at the onset is supposed to help lessen the duration of the attack. I don’t take allopurinol. I try to drink a shit ton of water daily and if I fall behind I eat a few of these in the morning and a few at night: 

IMG_0497.thumb.jpeg.a3e23cee720d44f6a33939374d19ba0e.jpeg
Why not just take allopurinol?

For booze is it mainly beer ? I don’t drink much beer anymore mainly whiskey .

Have a family member that’s a doctor and prescribed me some anti inflammatory meds , that took it from a 10 to a 3 pain wise . It was god awful mainly in the morning getting up and the blood rushing to my foot, had to take a piss and tried to stand up and said fuck it.

18 hours ago, Quagmire said:

For booze is it mainly beer ? I don’t drink much beer anymore mainly whiskey .

Have a family member that’s a doctor and prescribed me some anti inflammatory meds , that took it from a 10 to a 3 pain wise . It was god awful mainly in the morning getting up and the blood rushing to my foot, had to take a piss and tried to stand up and said fuck it.

The doctor should almost always prescribe indomethacin. Indomethacin is an NSAID similar to ibuprofen. It has more side-effects but works better for gout.

Edited by Bevo

I had my first attack about five or so years ago.  Didn't know what it was at first.  Went to visit my dermatologist for a skin check, asked her to also look at my swollen red large toes and she said I had the gout.  She prescribed me colchicine (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682711.html) which worked very quickly to relieve the pain.  Then went to see my reg doc and I've been on allopurinol ever since.  No attacks since then.  I avoid shellfish for the most part (the attack came on after eating a bunch of skrimps), but do a terrible job at avoiding beer. 

• Like 1

So are you sure it’s gout?  That happened to me last year, but it was my little toe.  Gout can attack there too.   Turns out that I stubbed it and I didn’t remember—adult beverages were involved.  My toe was broken which is much better than having gout.   

When I started having gout attacks about 15 or 20 years ago, usually in the ball of my big toe, my pcp prescribed Naproxin which is an anti-inflammation drug.
Worked like a charm. 
Then I “discovered” that it was available OTC in lower strengths, so started taking two of these whenever I felt the symptoms coming on. That usually occurred in the mornings, then took 2 more in the evening. Rarely had to take a third dose on the 2nd morning. The pain really doesn’t get enough traction to bother me, and is totally gone the next day.

Have to be careful and not take too big a dosage though, or it could cause some side effects like anything else advertised on tv.

48A1B413-C3BE-4F61-9017-E84B0E821529.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

I had my first attack about five or so years ago.  Didn't know what it was at first.  Went to visit my dermatologist for a skin check, asked her to also look at my swollen red large toes and she said I had the gout.  She prescribed me colchicine (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682711.html) which worked very quickly to relieve the pain.  Then went to see my reg doc and I've been on allopurinol ever since.  No attacks since then.  I avoid shellfish for the most part (the attack came on after eating a bunch of skrimps), but do a terrible job at avoiding beer. 
I use colchicine if I have a flair up, which is about once a year. Works well to relieve the pain. I'd rather use it, than take a prescription on a daily basis.

I thought I had gout as I my foot would absolutely wither in pain, was swollen, and I couldn't move my big toe. This would happen over and over for about 2 years every few months. I got tested and the foot doc said i "probably " had gout. Turns out that I needed quality in soles in my shoes with support. Since that revelation,  I haven't had the issue like that once but I do occasionally have mild pain from walking around in flip flops (supported as well) when I should have brought shoes.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:43 AM, Chewbacca said:

Triggers can vary a lot. Mine was beef. Friend of mine is triggered by shellfish. Dehydration is always a common issue, though. Why not just take allopurinol?

For me, it’s because I’d rather not be tied to taking something every day to prevent something that happens relatively rarely and can be stopped with stopped with a couple of indomethacin and controlled by a couple of Aleve while the indomethacin does its thing. 

One of the benefits, such as it is, of formerly being a fat ass is that I have years of meticulously logged food which showed absolutely no correlation whatsoever with the onset of one of these damned attacks. Which, apparently, possibly makes it pseudogout and I’m insufficiently motivated to get tested since the treatment is the same either way. I just eat whatever. And it’s not like I’d have given up beer, bacon, or whatever else, anyway. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka