Dallas Stars 2023 Offseason Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

20 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Having season tickets to the Texas Stars, I just don't see it with Mavrik Bourque.  70 games, 47 points.  He's pretty small and doesn't seem fast enough to overcome it.

Stats say 5'10", 185 but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Stankoven stats

Height: 5′ 8″
Weight: 170 lbs

Goals     34     Assists  63  

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

So dado means no max right?

I do expect him to hit the market. Someone will pay more than 5 a year. Maybe Toronto? Maybe Nil offers longer time at less money?

The consensus is that this year is slim pickings in FA. That should drive up the prices. But, the cap only increased by a million. Like us, a lot of the contenders are up against it. Not a lot to go get with. 

I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

On 6/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, Catpfish said:

Having season tickets to the Texas Stars, I just don't see it with Mavrik Bourque.  70 games, 47 points.  He's pretty small and doesn't seem fast enough to overcome it.

Stats say 5'10", 185 but it sure doesn't seem like it.

I went to a bunch of games this season, and I don't either.  He is bigger than Stankoven, but not nearly as good.  

The overall talent level on the Texas Stars this season was pretty meager.

Edited by Beau Vine

some high praise from nhl.com

2:40 p.m. ET
Matt Duchene is reportedly going to the Dallas Stars one a one-year, $3 million contract. Duchene was a UFA because the final three years of what was an eight-year, $56 million contract on Friday.

Duchene had 56 points (22 goals, 34 assists) in 71 games with the Predators last season. He set NHL career bests in goals (43), assists (43) and points (86) in 2021-22.

The fact is the Stars are getting a veteran forward who is a known scorer, and adding Duchene gives the Stars a top-nine forward group of Roope Hintz, Jason Robertson, Joe Pavelski, Tyler Seguin, Wyatt Johnston, Jamie Benn, Evgenii Dadonov, Mason Marchment and Duchene.

It's hard to find another top-nine forward group in the NHL that's as good as the one in Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, wood said:

Could the Stars have paid him that much or more? 

Doesn't seem so:
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $82,917,829
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $582,171
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $582,171
DEADLINE CAP SPACE Tooltip : $2,707,095
TODAY'S CAP HIT Tooltip : $82,917,829
ROSTER SIZE: 22/23
CONTRACTS: 42/50
RESERVE LIST: 56/90
INJURIES: 0
GENERAL MANAGER: Jim Nill
HEAD COACH: Peter DeBoer

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Duchene and Domi got the same deal. 1/3

I think I like Duchene better. 

Same. Domi's playoff numbers were much better than the regular season but he never seemed to be a good fit with the Stars.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, Tyrone Krivacs said:

Question from a non hockey fan...why did the Stars have so many overtime losses last season? I think the they had the most or close to in the entire league.

No kidding. I went to 12 Stars games last year. Seven went into OT/Shootout and they only won two of them. 

But I will say that November 23rd Blackhawks game was one of the wildest I've ever seen in 40 years of going to NHL games. Crazy third period. 

• Like 1