San Diego

ztejas

Didn't see a thread - if there is one then redirect me. 

Thinking about doing a 4 night/3 day trip with my mom and maybe my brother or sister this summer at some point.

I've been twice (I think) and have obviously done some of the more touristy stuff. I'm imagining we'll hit a Pads game and the Zoo - because that's mandatory in my book.

What else is fun that's maybe off the beaten path or doesn't make you hand your wallet over at the door? Very open to any museums, historical places of note, parks/nature areas etc.

Edited by ztejas

Just now, squib said:

I enjoyed walking around the USS Midway last time I was there 

Yeah I think I've done that and thought it was okay. 

I'm more looking for out of the box stuff that's fun maybe even in the surrounding area. 

We enjoyed the Ghost Tour in Old Town

Balboa Park

Point Loma Lighthouse and view the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.  

Coronado Island

Ride the Giant Dipper in Belmont Park

Spend a day in La Jolla. Go to the Old Cave Store and take the steps down to Sunny Jim's Sea Cave

Torrey Pines, hike down to Black's Beach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We just got back from SD. Great time.  The mediation park is really serene.  Wife said so at least. I did the Midway for the 5th time. La Joya is the usual. Ocean Beach has a lot of neighborhood events going on.  If you get into Raglan Public House let me know....I got fucked because parking is terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stayed at Ocean Beach Hotel last time, had seafood cocktails with craft beer @ Wonderland & watched sunset.   They passed around some tropical shots right at sunset.  Great area to have some edibles, walk out to pier & hear stories from homeless people living on beach.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a8a3af9cbd34cdd2bc79f6f79b4347f1.jpeg

Unpopular opinion, but I thought the San Diego Zoo was overrated. Too crowded and weird layout. Enjoyed the Cincy and Ft. Worth Zoo more.

I'd skip the zoo unless you just have a burning desire and/or have kids.

Edited by HonkeyVape

16 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

Unpopular opinion, but I thought the San Diego Zoo was overrated. Too crowded and weird layout. Enjoyed the Cincy and Ft. Worth Zoo more.

I'd skip the zoo unless you just have a burning desire and/or have kids.

The zoo is open nights in the summer, and it's fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

People I get. Complaining about "heat" in San Diego is fucking baffling to me. I was there a year ago over the 4th of July, and it finally dawned on my 3 days in that I was bracing myself whenever we left a building to go outside, only to remember it was perfect weather. 

I was there in early August of 2018 when they were in a "heat wave."  Yeah, it was toasty, but it was still 90 degrees as opposed to a billion degrees in Austin that time of year, and very low humidity.  Even better, it warmed up the Pacific a bit so me and my kids were able to play in the ocean for hours with more enjoyable water temps.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I was there in early August of 2018 when they were in a "heat wave."  Yeah, it was toasty, but it was still 90 degrees as opposed to a billion degrees in Austin that time of year, and very low humidity.  Even better, it warmed up the Pacific a bit so me and my kids were able to play in the ocean for hours with more enjoyable water temps.

When we went, we killed a couple hours at the boardwalk on Mission Beach with our 5 year old. We noticed that all the carnies had accents. My wife and I were talking to one, and she said they were all from Ireland on some kind of work program. She was typical irish, fair skin and fair haired, and she was red in the face and huffing and puffing. I asked her how she was liking it, and she said she fucking loved it, but the heat was getting to her. I kindly explained to her about Texas, and how this is a place we come to for the enjoyment of cool weather. She looked at me in disbelief, and then when my wife assured her that it was true, her face literally blanched in shock and revolt. It was pretty funny. 

She said she no longer had any interest in visiting Texas. I told her to cross Florida off her list too, and told her many the Pacific Northwest might be more her speed. 

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

I’d kill all of you for this weather right now

E0A2BFBD-31CC-4BD8-9EB8-51CEBC9955D8.thumb.jpeg.4f008aa46b9678c6575b64a12312a088.jpeg

it's glorious at my place today.  75 or so with a gentle breeze.  But, to be honest, the weather has been dogshit for months.  From clouds and rain to june gloom.  We're finally seeing the weather that we pay so dearly to enjoy.