Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

59 minutes ago, HouTex said:

You are about 8 years behind me.  I was 80-84.  I would have a very hard time getting more than three guys on a ski trip now that we are all around 62.  Luckily, and knock on wood, my wife and I are still in pretty good shape.  I hope to have 10+ years of good skiing ahead.  But we are the exception.  

Love it, yeah your group is one of last of the old guard imo.  Those guys from early-mid 80's were such a great group, had to be an unbelievable time in ATX back then.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Love it, yeah your group is one of last of the old guard imo.  Those guys from early-mid 80's were such a great group, had to be an unbelievable time in ATX back then.

It was.  Great time to be at UT.  Austin was around 350k.  Perfect size and tons of activities.   We were a fumbled punt away from winning a natty my senior year.  

The helicopter footage reminds me of this amazing rescue in Chamonix...

For those of you here, put Chamonix on your skiing "must do" list.  The whole valley is a playground and once the cable car reopens at Les Grands Montets, its back to 6,000 feet of vertical skiing.  Still need to hit up Brevent and Flegere.  

On a domestic note, CB is almost at 100%.  Something like 158 runs now open.  Amazing!

On 1/21/2024 at 9:15 AM, wackawacka said:

5 days total in Whistler so far this year. Only 1.5 hr away so did a long weekend and do day trips. Long day but awesome especially when doing it alone.

problem this year in whistler is the snow keeps melting and becoming slosh at the base. Pictures from yesterday.

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

Heading up there with the family this weekend. Looks like wet snow mix. 

11 hours ago, gaspar said:

Heading up there with the family this weekend. Looks like wet snow mix. 

Client of mine went over NYE. She was so excited to go.  I've been hesitant to ask her how it was since the news I saw online was that it was pretty rough.

@0:25    Mikaela gets choppered off the downhill course after crash.  Total brain fart as she lands well below (relative to the fall line) and way off of her line before a turn.  

Edited by PRONG HORN

On 1/25/2024 at 1:53 PM, Horns99 said:

Anyone have any opinions on staying at Park City base vs The Canyons ? Going for spring break with 2 kids, if that matters

There really isn’t much to do at PC Base apres ski.  Food and dining options are limited, we Stayed there once about 6 years ago with our 3 kids so we had to drive places. Subsequent visits to PC, we stayed at a condo called Park Station, it’s at the bottom of main st/park ave.  Easy Walk to main st, close enough to walk to Town Lift and a very short car ride to PC base.  We prefer not to drive and staying closer to the main dining/shopping was nice.  Don’t have as much experience with Canyons lodging options/things to do , but looks congested. We did end ou day at canyons one day and the free bus system dropped us at our condo near main st 

On 1/25/2024 at 1:53 PM, Horns99 said:

Anyone have any opinions on staying at Park City base vs The Canyons ? Going for spring break with 2 kids, if that matters

we have been to Canyons last 2 spring breaks.  We stayed right at the base of Canyons right next to the orange bubble lift in that big hotel/condo place.  From our research, it was nicer than equiv $$ on the PC side, at least for the 3-4 bedroom condos with big kitchens/livng rooms.  you can either 'ski' to PC (mostly riding lifts, then a gondola that connects PC and Canyons) or take the bus.  Taking the bus back right at lift closing time can be a beating, but otherwise it's not too bad.  You can bus into PC proper for dining/shopping fairly easily.  We never rent a car but just uber from the airport to the mountain.

the base at PC has an ice rink and more shopping places for sure. 

17 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

What?  Park City?

Yes that's correct.  As opposed to staying closer to Main St/Park Avenue/ Town Lift....Park City Base does not provide a lot to do after skiing; iirc the original poster mentioned having kids.  Once the Lifts close at 3:30-4, the place clears out and there isnt much to other than the skating rink.  Up thread others commented that  the Canyons had more to do, is newer etc..but at the base specifically of Park City,  we have found it much better to stay closer to the main st for shopping , walking around, sight seeing, there is a big open Park near the library etc...  we've been the last 6 years to Park City/DV before heading to Breck this year, plus it is extremely loud at the base, constant trucks in and out all night.  First year we went, we stayed across the street from the main parking lot and it was very loud all night.   The Marriott Mountainside looks nice, but overall IMO, there are better lodging options than the base of PC.

3 hours ago, wackawacka said:

Drove up to Whistler only to drive right back. What a disaster. The weather was perfect when I booked a place but a day before turned warm and rainy.

SUCKS. Hopefully, I can get a few more weekdays.

that sucks.  

whistler got a ton of snow about a month ago, no?  bad luck. 

we were there 2 years ago February and lucked out with great weather, but I remember it being a little touch and go right before or after our trip.

kids loved the skeleton and bobsled at the sliding centre. 

9 hours ago, alphahydro said:

that sucks.  

whistler got a ton of snow about a month ago, no?  bad luck. 

we were there 2 years ago February and lucked out with great weather, but I remember it being a little touch and go right before or after our trip.

kids loved the skeleton and bobsled at the sliding centre. 

yeah, we had a week in December that was awesome then about two-ish weeks in January. I made it up three times during good conditions. Problem is that it warms up so much. Bad weather days are not just bad but not able to ski imo.

Edited by wackawacka
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Taos - 34” storm and almost 70” base - prime time !FACCFD6E-9804-4B95-8542-7106D38DAC17.thumb.png.71bec9fe6d83f3d2b44cdf549815f2f1.png

Heading to Angel Fire on Wednesday, with a snowmobile tour scheduled in Taos on Friday. I hope the weather cooperates for our trips to and from on US64, looks like there is some more snow forecast from Wed-Fri in the area. 

In Angel Fire for a few days. Been coming here for 20+ years. Currently some of the best conditions I've seen in years. 81/82 runs open, which is almost unheard of as 4 or 5 of the black runs (hiking access only) are often not open the entire season. Plus no crowds at all this week. Heading over to Taos in the morning. Conditions there look equally as good and crowns also look pretty thin based on webcams.

Also saw that Santa Fe is at 100% open.  Looks like a good time to hit up NM.

Out of curiousity, when does Taos normally shut down for the season?  Do they really make it into April?  Trying to think of late season options other than WP and A-Basin.

On Purgatory, I think conditions are OK but surprised to see CB has had more snow than Purgatory this year.

In my experience, starting in mid-March the conditions really start to deteriorate in New Mexico. I would never plan on a trip in April. Frankly, now that my kids are grown I don't ski in New Mexico after the first week of March to both avoid the slushy conditions and Texas/Oklahoma spring break. We're going to his Vail in early March and then hopefully Park City the first week of April.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

In my experience, starting in mid-March the conditions really start to deteriorate in New Mexico. I would never plan on a trip in April. Frankly, now that my kids are grown I don't ski in New Mexico after the first week of March to both avoid the slushy conditions and Texas/Oklahoma spring break. We're going to his Vail in early March and then hopefully Park City the first week of April.

I should probably stick with my usual WP/A-Basin rotation.  If I go early enough, I might be able to hit Loveland.  By early I mean by the end of April.  A-Basin needs to catch up, though.

14 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Heading to Purgatory at the end of the month... Anyone been out there this year? 

Durango recommendations appreciated 

Was just out there last weekend.  Didn't ski, but had some good meals.  Rupert's is the shit for breakfast.  If you like corned beef hash, they have the best one I've ever had.  We were only there one night for dinner, but we ate at Perbacco Cucina Italiana.  It was very good.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I should probably stick with my usual WP/A-Basin rotation.  If I go early enough, I might be able to hit Loveland.  By early I mean by the end of April.  A-Basin needs to catch up, though.

In 1983, after finishing up classes my freshman year of college, buddy and I spent a week in the Vail/Beaver Creek area. We played 18 holes of golf one morning and then jumped in our car and drove over to A-Basin and skied in the afternoon (along with many CU coeds skiing in bikinis). Been hard topping that over the years.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Heading to Purgatory at the end of the month... Anyone been out there this year? 

Durango recommendations appreciated 

Definitely go here after skiing... just a couple of minutes from the mountain...

https://www.nuggetmountainbar.com/

This was one of my low-key favorites in town...

https://11thstreetstation.com/

For grins, go get a cheap lift pass and go get some turns on at Chapman Hill.  Yeah, I know... its a tiny hill with a rope tow but there's something really fun about farting around on that hill...

https://www.durangoco.gov/544/Ski-Area

You will have fun and then your arms will hate you when you're done.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 10:14 PM, wackawacka said:

Drove up to Whistler only to drive right back. What a disaster. The weather was perfect when I booked a place but a day before turned warm and rainy.

SUCKS. Hopefully, I can get a few more weekdays.

i am kinda nervous.  we are headed to whistler for spring break (early March) and i've been watching the videos about the bad base conditions.  hopefully get some colder weather.

25 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Holy shit, that ice karting looks like so much fun.

I really really really want to go back there next year.  Only skied there for a day since we were staying/skiing in another town but would love to stay at the base and then do all the other cool stuff they have.

https://pistepro.com/resort/serre-chevalier/

image.thumb.png.59d2b5ff3ef7e05effc65dcc47163fc1.png

Just found they also offer this... 4 km run with over 1600 vertical drop.  LOL.  How are people not flying off the side of the run?

On 2/5/2024 at 1:20 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

i am kinda nervous.  we are headed to whistler for spring break (early March) and i've been watching the videos about the bad base conditions.  hopefully get some colder weather.

just went this week. top of mountain is good.

they have done enough work on bottom of mountain so you can ski all the way down. outside some freak warm weather and pray for some good snow then I think you will be in for a great trip.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:56 PM, wackawacka said:

just went this week. top of mountain is good.

they have done enough work on bottom of mountain so you can ski all the way down. outside some freak warm weather and pray for some good snow then I think you will be in for a great trip.

Reminds me of some spring trips we've taken to a couple of places in Europe... top skis great, lots of terrain... but top to bottom, while doable, is not ideal at the bottom.  You get the slush land but you can make it all the way down if you want.  Great snow to the slushy white stripe of death.

Edited by texasdago

Incentive to get better as a skier... I tell my kids this... the better you get, the better it gets...

Crested Butte:

Left side - services mostly greens and blues but can be used to get to other parts of the mountain.  Line.

Right side - services blues, blacks and double diamonds.  No line.

image.thumb.png.fd96ccf79fda5e22b6e724b34820fe36.png