Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

We had only 4 losses in the B12 this year.

How hard is it going to be to replicate that in the SEC?

Depends on the schedule format and how often we have to face the best of the league (LSU, SCe, Ole Miss, OU, Bama)

• Hook 'Em 1

For people that don't think going big like we did wins championships, just watch the championship game. South Carolina 51 rebounds to Iowa's 29 rebounds. 

South Carolina just murdered teams inside and on the boards. We need better guard play but I actually think the formula of this year's team (with Rori) is a mirror image of what South Carolina tries to do. 

51 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

For people that don't think going big like we did wins championships, just watch the championship game. South Carolina 51 rebounds to Iowa's 29 rebounds. 

South Carolina just murdered teams inside and on the boards. We need better guard play but I actually think the formula of this year's team (with Rori) is a mirror image of what South Carolina tries to do. 

Depth is important too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

UNC's Deja Kelly is in the portal.  A player I would love to have (and we almost had, but she decommitted after Aston was let go).  But she's going to likely end up somewhere she can play point full-time (cough LSU). We don't need a PG, we need a SG. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

UNC's Deja Kelly is in the portal.  A player I would love to have (and we almost had, but she decommitted after Aston was let go).  But she's going to likely end up somewhere she can play point full-time (cough LSU). We don't need a PG, we need a SG. 

Apparently, it's also a big reason why Van Lith transferred. LSU had her playing PG and she feels like she's a 2. 

On 4/7/2024 at 6:41 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

The highlights that night sure featured a lot of 3s by usc to erase that lead. 

• Like 1

Both Phelia (Michigan) and Janiah Barker (aggy) have "do not contact" tags

Also sounds like Kiki Iriafen (Stanford) may be entering the portal as well.  Lotta rumblings

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The highlights that night sure featured a lot of 3s by usc to erase that lead. 

A lot of 3s came from offensive rebounds. 

This game was won with size. 17-5 advantage on the offensive boards and +22 in rebounds will more often than not win you games of any style due to so many more possessions. South Carolina's offense was often predicated on just bullying people in the paint and finding open shooters from offensive rebounds.  

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Both Phelia (Michigan) and Janiah Barker (aggy) have "do not contact" tags

Also sounds like Kiki Iriafen (Stanford) may be entering the portal as well.  Lotta rumblings

Things are not going well for Joni Taylor at aggy. 

Her only saving grace may be sneaking into the tournament this year. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Taylor Jones officially back for one more go around 

I'm starting to wonder if Texas may try to upgrade at the 5.

Gaston is a good player but some legit bigs are about to be in the portal. Apparently, Blair Schaefer just started following Beers and Gardiner from Oregon State on IG. Beers led the country in FG% this past year. 

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Lucy Olsen from Villanova might the one Vic needs to go after. 

I think she’s going to end up at Iowa. Caitlin Clark replacement 

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Phelia (Michigan) isn't listed as " do not contact" in the portal anymore. I bet this is the guard we go after but there will be a long line. 

Blair is following her already 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We should be a really attractive spot for a SG. 

Harmon and Booker are excellent playmakers that can create for others. 

Rori and Coach Wisdom are now following her too

Also Chevalier from Tech to UH 😂

• Hook 'Em 1

If Beers enters the portal, she will be the top transfer. Think she was like 6th in PER this year, 1st in FG%, and she did that in a power conference as Sophomore. I don't think Texas could pass that up even though Jones and Gaston is still a very good 1/2 combo at the 5. 

Beers could legitimately give us 3 All-Americans in the starting 5. 

The UCONN board is already talking about how insane our team would be with Beers. 

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Now we know why Iriafen might be transferring. 

Flying from Palo Alto to Tallahassee on a random Thursday night sounds fucking miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Geno at 1,213 and Tara retires at 1,216.

Maybe he'll get the record next year and then retire himself.  They are both 70.

One last ride with Bueckers and then call it a career? 

Edited by Js1

Potential transfer options:

PG - none needed (Rori, Booker, Maul, incoming Preston)
SG - Phelia (Michigan), followed by Blair, Rori and Coach Wisdom on Instagram; Spear (Tennessee), not in the portal yet but undecided on returning to Tenn with the coaching change and Texas was a top 3 finisher in her transfer* (still have Holle and incoming Lee)
SF - none really needed (Booker, also Holle) 
PF/C - Beers (Oregon State), not in the portal yet, but highly rumored to be, Blair follows on Instagram and Texas was a top 3 finisher in her HS recruitment; Lety Vasconcelos (6'7 from Baylor), Texas was a finalist in her HS recruitment.  (If no one, we still have Jones, Gaston, Moore, Muhammad, incoming Carlton)

*Has 30 days to transfer due to the coaching change and would waive any restrictions on her 2nd transfer

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, torre said:

Props to Coach VanDerveer for waiting until after the title game to announce - no distraction from the game.

Also a no drama succession to avoid kicking off a mid-April coaching shuffle. Though who knows if Paye is legit or just a Holly Warlick type of successor 

Gaston has been less vocal than others about coming back (Holle, Jones) so I'm not totally surprised.  This is where Texas is probably going to push hard for Beers. 

I actually said last year I was surprised she didn't transfer because Vic is extremely hard on her.  Kind of like JAT and Warren, I don't fault her for going elsewhere to use her final year of eligibility elsewhere after giving Texas 4 great years.

Best of luck Dee! We will miss your dance moves and hype energy the most. 

As long as the names for Texas aren't Harmon, Booker or Moore, I'm not going to fret too much.  There will be sufficient portal players of Gaston's size and skillset to pair with Jones + incoming Justice Carlton. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Had Codio, Jak, Amina and Maul as possibilities but not DeYona.

DeYona lost her starting spot to Jones and Moore. I think Jones coming back basically sealed the deal that she was coming off the bench yet again. She should and could start elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm starting to wonder if Texas may try to upgrade at the 5.

Gaston is a good player but some legit bigs are about to be in the portal. Apparently, Blair Schaefer just started following Beers and Gardiner from Oregon State on IG. Beers led the country in FG% this past year. 

Saw that one coming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gaston isn’t surprising once you looked at what was happening in the portal. Fairly obvious the staff is looking to upgrade. 

She lost her starting job.  Jones is coming back and Moore will be much healthier (knee).  Not to mention the upgrade options. 

Her minutes are only going to stagnate or decrease with Carlton also coming in.  And I've said it before, Vic coaches her so tough, they sometimes look like they hate each other. That she even stayed another year was a surprise.  She has a UT degree and was a 4 year player at Texas.  No bad blood with me here, just like with Warren and Ebo choosing to play their final year somewhere else.  Same with Hadi. 

She always had an issue staying healthy at Texas.  She's going to a starting 4 or 5 somewhere else, just hopefully not somewhere like LSU or another big time contender like UConn.  Maybe she stays in state to play somewhere like TCU or Baylor or UH. 

We'd have to face her, but Auburn with Johnnie Harris would be a good landing spot for her. 

Edited by Js1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She always had an issue staying healthy at Texas.  She's going to a starting 4 or 5 somewhere else, just hopefully not somewhere like LSU or another big time contender like UConn.  Maybe she stays in state to play somewhere like TCU or Baylor or UH. 

It's all dependent on what happens with Beers and Iriafen because if those two enter the portal there are going to be some legit bigs in the portal. 

If Beers, Iriafen, and Gardiner are all in the portal we really have to try and land one of these. We are talking two All-American caliber players and then Gardiner is potentially an All-Conference level player. 

Oh I am 100% on trying to land Beers, because we already have the relationship with her.  I also hope that the work Vic put in on Spear pays off if she decides not to stick around for the new coach. 

Rice and Houston are just up the road form Gaston’s home town, and if she has the grades to get into Rice, that would be the best spot for her. Rice has a much improved basketball program that gave LSU a scare in the tourney, and Gaston could be the face of that program for a year 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh I am 100% on trying to land Beers, because we already have the relationship with her.  I also hope that the work Vic put in on Spear pays off if she decides not to stick around for the new coach. 

The only issue with those 3 above is they are all potentially better than Jones. That's if Iriafen can play the 5 (she's similar size as Gaston). 

I don't know how these type players impact Jones but she's been splitting minutes with a big since she's been here. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed