Global Entry application?

Just heard about this program to expedite passage through customs while entering foreign countries.

we are flying to Heathrow in 3 weeks, so is it too late to apply for the GE card? Is it worth the $100 fee for each applicant?

We have no idea how long the process is - getting a GE pass, and going through customs with or without that status

Any info would be appreciated.

Unless there is something new, global entry is only for coming back into the u.s. from an international destination. It doesn't work going into another country. I have it and it's great if you travel a lot. You have to set up an interview and it does take some time to process. So you probably don't have time. 

There are some countries where our Global Entry can be reciprocal but you still have to apply and pay in a separate process in those countries.  Very much worth it for the US even if you travel a couple times a year and you get TSA precheck for domestic too.

Be nice to the flight attendants on the flight into Heathrow as they have passes to Fast Track.  Basically expedited lines to avoid the lines for masses.  You usually have to have status with the airlines or flying business or first class.     The Brits also have a global entry type system for foreigners but you have to travel their frequently to be eligible:  https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller/eligibility

It depends how quickly you can schedule the interview appointment.  The online application takes ~30 minutes, then you have to schedule an interview at your local airport.  I was originally able to schedule one at DFW the next week, but after something came up at work I had to reschedule and it was maybe a month out for the earliest one then.  I would check every couple of days and there would be cancellations and you could squeeze in earlier.  We ended up with an interview the day before we left, and we were approved the next day before we left.

It’s worth it. If you’re in or close to the woodlands you might check to see if they have availability to get you in that interview location. It’s new and only available a few days. No one knew about it when we got GE for our kids. Once you interview and get that approval it’s immediate.

If you don’t have time get the Mobile PassportApp. Not many people use it yet and it follows the same path as global entry when you get back in the US. It seems to be pretty quick.

Last, check with your credit card. It might cover the fee for GE. Mine does.

Thanks for the reminder AB, just did mine. It’ll be dubious usage as I’ll probably only use it once when coming back from Thailand next year, but my wife got it before her trip to Iceland so I figured I might as well do we can both fast track back into the states...I’ve had Pre for two years so guess that’ll reset the clock on that.

Wish this had existed back when I was going to India and the Philippines for work, got stuck in awful lines plenty of times.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:35 PM, Homercles said:

Thanks for the reminder AB, just did mine. It’ll be dubious usage as I’ll probably only use it once when coming back from Thailand next year, but my wife got it before her trip to Iceland so I figured I might as well do we can both fast track back into the states...I’ve had Pre for two years so guess that’ll reset the clock on that.

Wish this had existed back when I was going to India and the Philippines for work, got stuck in awful lines plenty of times.

Think about it this way: you’re paying $85 for PreCheck already, and Glbal Entry is $100. 

So even if you use it just once or twice every 5 years, is that worth the extra $15? 

Answer: Fuck. Yes. 

Even better, get a credit card that reimburses the fee.

Think about it this way: you’re paying $85 for PreCheck already, and Glbal Entry is $100. 
So even if you use it just once or twice every 5 years, is that worth the extra $15? 

Answer: Fuck. Yes. 

Even better, get a credit card that reimburses the fee.

Oh I know. We got Pre back in 2016 before a trip to Portland with my wife pregnant and my son in terrible threes...we didn’t get GE because the wait time for interviews was outrageous and decided having Pre before the trip was worth it.

Sucks to waste that money but Pre has been worth the $85 for even two years when it comes to traveling with young kids.

It's worth it and as many of the above has said you won't have time to get it done.   I even enrolled my kids.  It's especially helpful if you enter the US at one of the major intl airports.   MIA, DFW, IAH, JFK, ORD, etc.  Major hubs might land 3-4 777 size planes at the same time.  That's well over 1000 passengers trying to clear immigration and customs.   Nothing worse than getting off a long haul flight and having to stand in line for an hour or more.   If you are just going to the Caribbean through Hobby you don't really need it.

Edited by midtown

Just got back from London. We landed at Heathrow on a Sunday morning at 6:50 am and had to wait in a really long line at least an hour to get through immigration and customs. I would’ve thought it would be quicker at that time of the morning but nope. Anything you can do to expedite the process in London is worth it. 

We have gobal entry, got back to DFW at 1:20 in the afternoon and got through immigration/customs in about 10-15 mins. GE is well worth it.

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

I swear women tend to get approval faster...at least based on my small sample size. My wife was given the ok in a matter of days, I’m starting week 3 with no update. Clean record, except for posting here.

Well, I got approved faster then my wife and two babies, so not sure that has anything to do with it. But it could, who knows. 

On 7/22/2018 at 1:20 PM, Spur08 said:

DFW resident -- I signed up for Global Entry last week on July 17th.  I just woke up to my application approved with about 20 appointments available this week at DFW airport with a few of them tomorrow.

Start to finish.  It took me 9 days to apply and get approved.  The appointment at DHS took less than 2 minutes today.

Turns out we didn't need it at all.  Landing at Heathrow we walked through an empty cue maze right up to the customs dude who asked us a few blah questions, and that was it.

Returning to Austin we were in the wheelchair line and it took us 2 minutes to get by that customs guy.

• 2 months later...
Well almost exactly a month later I got my conditional approval. Per FlyerTalk it does seem to either be within a week or at the month mark. Applied July 5, conditional approval August 2, appointment September 28.

For completeness sake...did my ‘interview’ on 9/28 and received my card on 10/5. At AUS the location is all the way at the East end past the baggage claim on the ground floor.

Something to note is you need to activate it for use at land crossings...that was news to me. Just go online and enter the security code on the back.

Was a madhouse when I arrived, got to me 30 minute late but took all of 10 minutes once called. I probably spent more time driving down there than I will save using it international oh well it reupped my Pre

On 8/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, Armybrat said:

Turns out we didn't need it at all.  Landing at Heathrow we walked through an empty cue maze right up to the customs dude who asked us a few blah questions, and that was it.

Returning to Austin we were in the wheelchair line and it took us 2 minutes to get by that customs guy.

This is my luck every time after getting GE. The non GE line is 1000x times quicker than the GE.

10 hours ago, texasjacket said:

This is my luck every time after getting GE. The non GE line is 1000x times quicker than the GE.

The only airport where GE didn't do much for me is Hobby.    I beat my chick thru by about 5 mins.   At IAH, SFO, DFW, MIA, MCO it made at least an hour difference. 

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread with a new question.  I just had my interview today and have a change in my status on the TTP webpage.  My issue is that my old phone died on my a couple of months ago and I completely forgot about Google Authenticator and how you have to use it to access the page.  It looks like the only option is to delete my account and set up a new one to get the Authenticator to work again with the codes.  Does anyone know if this will screw everything up (TSA Pre-check and Global Entry)?  Any ideas on another way to get back in to set up access?

Reviving an old thread with a new question.  I just had my interview today and have a change in my status on the TTP webpage.  My issue is that my old phone died on my a couple of months ago and I completely forgot about Google Authenticator and how you have to use it to access the page.  It looks like the only option is to delete my account and set up a new one to get the Authenticator to work again with the codes.  Does anyone know if this will screw everything up (TSA Pre-check and Global Entry)?  Any ideas on another way to get back in to set up access?

Idk the direct answer but I’ll say the GE help line was actually very efficient in resolving an issue I had, like 24 hour turn around.