2023 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

Play begins at 11a Eastern on the various ESPN platforms. 

Men's draw

Fairly certain the entire tennis world is rooting for a specific final. 

Women's draw

As usual, this could go about 17 different ways. I'll pick Ostapenko just for the absurdity. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jen Brady rocking the Flex Seal emblem on her chest again here at the open. Even the announcers commented on it.

”Patch her up and send her back out there.”

Compliments were given to the management team of a player who has been out with injuries most of the last 2 years.

Edited by Napoleon

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Korda withdrew from a semi final ATP last week just to prep for his USOpen match. He lost first round 

I like him and stated in mid 2021 that he would be the highest ranked American by the end of 2022…

Boy was I off. 

He is a fairly boring player to watch. He’s a seeded player. And he is going home to Florida in the morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

💯

This tournament is being billed as “The One Where Coco Assumes The Throne”!

The “a little bit shocked” crowd is still filing in. 

That place was packed last year for what looked like it may have been Serena’s final match.

BRAD GILBERT is going to drink a fifth of booze tonight if she doesn’t turn it around. 

Edited by Napoleon

17 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I agree with her about the towel thing though. You have to have some discretion, especially when the game is going on for so long.
I like her strategy. She’s going for it all. Entertaining for sure.

Or just allow ball kids to give players their towels like they did up until the start of Covid19. It's 2023 for fucks sake

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I agree with her about the towel thing though. You have to have some discretion, especially when the game is going on for so long.
I like her strategy. She’s going for it all. Entertaining for sure.

she's slow playing everything.  Gauff has the same distance, playing the same points.  she knows where the towel is and knows the clock starts(or should start) after the score.  the ump should be on her more if anything.

she's slow playing everything.  Gauff has the same distance, playing the same points.  she knows where the towel is and knows the clock starts(or should start) after the score.  the ump should be on her more if anything.

Yeah it’s her strategy. Everyone does it when it’s in their favor. Even Novak got a warning recently (maybe Wimbledon?).
Gauff likes to play fast. So she’s trying to slow everything down, even on that bullshit challenge that Gauff laughed at.

9 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Yeah it’s her strategy. Everyone does it when it’s in their favor. Even Novak got a warning recently (maybe Wimbledon?).
Gauff likes to play fast. So she’s trying to slow everything down, even on that bullshit challenge that Gauff laughed at.

the ump is playing into it.  she could have stopped the BS early but she let it go.  she doesn't quick serve like the headcase kyrgios.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Double breadsticks for Venus. 

CoCo V. hung it up earlier today, now it’s your turn. 

Williams had only the highest of praise for her opponent.

"I really have to give credit to [Minnen]. It was just incredible, honestly," she said. "I mean, if she can play like that, you imagine that she can be in the top 10, or perhaps No. 1, or maybe win a Grand Slam, something like that, if she can play at this level."

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/38286948/venus-williams-suffers-most-lopsided-defeat-us-open

🙄

NARRATOR: Minnen lost 6-2 , 6-0 in the next round.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Fitting scoreline for Big John’s final match. 

He was so emotional that he could barely talk. As someone who is older than he is, it was hard to watch understanding the finality of this match.

I paused it about 2 or 3 times, because watching it was a bit much.

23 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Sure would be cool to have this on right now. Fucking Spectrum...

I signed up for the free trial on YouTube TV just to watch the Open and football. Hoping that Spectrum and Disney get their shit together and quit screwing their customers over. I'm not overly optimistic on this, however. Not sure which of these two is in the worse financial shape, or how long it can drag on. Sucks big time.