2023 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

ESPN sure can't be happy about Coco v. Jelena at noon Eastern after a holiday instead of 7 pm. 

All on Ashe tomorrow. (Tuesday/ later today)

IMG_7123.thumb.jpeg.5c0585d11e580c63bbd9ca7cf527b585.jpeg

Maybe Coco going first is an effort toward getting people through the gates before 3pm Eastern.

IMG_7124.thumb.jpeg.eaadde87ff8b765dd15841dd0c9571b6.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

31 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Alcaraz and Zverev in the quarters. Better opponent for Alcaraz to face than Sinner. 

Yeah this is true and Alcaraz is super fresh having no trouble so far.  

I like Ben Shelton's game and attitude, but can’t root against Foe.  I don’t like Fritz at all, so I don’t care if he beats Djoker, because he doesn’t have a chance.

I see a classic final coming in the men’s draw.  Women’s?  Penko vs Zheng would make me chuckle.

46 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Coco had all her weapons working today, Ostapenko (whom I love to watch play because she plays tennis like she's listening to Radar Love) didn't bring her A game.

The last thing to come is always the mental side of the game. You can almost see it when she is playing how much she is thinking. Once that part clicks for Coco she is going to be the best women’s player in the world for a good long while. I hope the beginning of her dominance of the sport is with a title here in a few days. 

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Drunk Portnoy got a closeup view of Sabalenka.

He seemed impressed

I’m not sure who Drunk Portnoy is, but I’ve never tried that drink because it’s like $22 and…

I don’t drink at sporting events that I want to remember.

My 2006 Rose Bowl ticket included VIP access pregame for our 25 person group. All-u-can eat food & open bar. I had one small cocktail about an hour before kickoff and then entered the stadium about 45 minutes before kickoff and didn’t drink anything the entire game.

Another friend in the group missed the first 7-8 game minutes of the 3rd quarter to go pee and then get a beer at halftime. 🤯

That beer probably cost about $85+ between the price of the beer and the amount of the game he missed out on. Complete dumbass! 

If I bought a day pass, bounced around the small courts, and then stuck around to watch some of the night session on the big screens, then I might dump $22 on a stupid tennis ball drink, but in 2013, 2016, and 2022, I went for night sessions that I wanted to see.  (at least 2016 & 2022)

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Drunk Portnoy got a closeup view of Sabalenka.

He seemed impressed

I would pay a week’s worth of money to see Sabalenka go and smash him upside the head with a racket.

As for the drink, it is Goose, Chambord, Lemonade and the melon balls. I don’t drink anymore so I have no idea how it tastes. It’s popular though.

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

I dont watch much tennis anymore, so I dont really know much about either of these guys (Tiafoe vs Shelton), but this match is entertaining. That Shelton kid is hitting some bombs.

Same but I knew about Tiafoe. When I heard the name Shelton I was thinking "that dude still plays?" because I remember his dad. Turns out Ben's uncle is another former touring pro named Todd Witsken. 

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

PS- I feel like Big Foe could maybe beat Novak, but Novak would patiently hand Shelton rope as young Ben spectacularly hung himself on Arthur Ashe in front of a packed house.

But… an Álcaraz vs Shelton final would be tremendous for the sport.

Novak's strategy will be to make Shelton hit one more ball in each rally and hope he hits himself out of the match. 

But having an up and comer not only play Alcaraz but beat him would be huge for the men's game - especially for American men's tennis which has been in purgatory for a very long time. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

If Bed Shelton and Madison Keys win the US Open, I think that it will be the first time that a half-white American 🇺🇸 man and a half-white American 🇺🇸 woman win the US Open in the same year. 

If Sheton wins it will be the first slam won by an American male in 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I’m not sure who Drunk Portnoy is, but I’ve never tried that drink because it’s like $22 and…

I don’t drink at sporting events that I want to remember.

If I bought a day pass, bounced around the small courts, and then stuck around to watch some of the night session on the big screens, then I might dump $22 on a stupid tennis ball drink, but in 2013, 2016, and 2022, I went for night sessions that I wanted to see.  (at least 2016 & 2022)

If I still drank this would not be the place to do it. I also concur on paying 22 for a drink. It’s just nuts to do that, but it hasn’t stopped people from getting it. I mean I am working the Open Club and we’re charging 60 for the Chef’s Table buffet. People just throw around money like it’s no big deal, which to a lot of the fans that come out here it is not.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Same but I knew about Tiafoe. When I heard the name Shelton I was thinking "that dude still plays?" because I remember his dad. Turns out Ben's uncle is another former touring pro named Todd Witsken. 

Novak's strategy will be to make Shelton hit one more ball in each rally and hope he hits himself out of the match. 

But having an up and comer not only play Alcaraz but beat him would be huge for the men's game - especially for American men's tennis which has been in purgatory for a very long time. 

If Sheton wins it will be the first slam won by an American male in 20 years. 

I agree with how he’ll play Shelton. Youthful impatience will not win the day. He’ll rally him to death. Alcaraz vs. Shelton would be a gigantic deal for the present and future of the sport, but I think we get the Wimbledon rematch instead.