Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

As others have said, at least the Rangers lost so we're still in it there. Potential silver lining in losing to WPG last night is if the Jets can catch/pass Colorado. That might be a positive.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

As others have said, at least the Rangers lost so we're still in it there. Potential silver lining in losing to WPG last night is if the Jets can catch/pass Colorado. That might be a positive.

As far as the presidents cup, losing has brought Carolina and Boston to within 2 points and both with a game in hand, so there could be some tiebreaker or multi team tiebreakers happening as it’s now a 4 team race if nyr drop another point. 

Boston has 3 teams fighting for the playoffs, but Carolina has road games against blues, hawks and jackets to finish. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

31 minutes ago, Skipper said:

In other news, Stone is back practicing for the Astros of the NHL no doubt magically ready to play right at puck drop of game 1 and not a minute before.   

This is the shocker of all shockers.  NHL needs to do something about the LTIR stuff.  Like allowing it to happen, but the player you replace is done for the year, including playoffs.  Too many teams (Vegas, Tampa) take advantage to a ridiculous degree.

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

This is the shocker of all shockers.  NHL needs to do something about the LTIR stuff.  Like allowing it to happen, but the player you replace is done for the year, including playoffs.  Too many teams (Vegas, Tampa) take advantage to a ridiculous degree.

This is ridiculous. Third straight year this has happened with Stone, right? Vegas was able to add several players they wouldn't normally have been able to due to Stone's nearly $10M cap hit, I believe.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is ridiculous. Third straight year this has happened with Stone, right? Vegas was able to add several players they wouldn't normally have been able to due to Stone's nearly $10M cap hit, I believe.

Correct.  And the Stars now have to face them in the first round, which is bullshit.  Vegas is a 1-3 seed when healthy.  I'm no Stars fan, but I hate this shit.  It's blatant manipulation of the rules.  You just need an owner that is OK spending the extra money and you can do it every year.

No posts huh. Lots going on. Col down big early. Lesser tanev ran otter, does Chris get to choose who beats his ass? 2-0 after 2. 

It was Seattle so I went to my lease to mow and shove some dirt around getting ready for dove season in the Fall.

Rangers host Senators tonight and can eliminate the Stars from the President's Cup with one point. Boston and Carolina can still finish with more points than the Stars too.

Vancouver has two games remaining, tomorrow at home against Calgary and Thursday at Winnipeg. Canucks have to win both games and have the Stars lose in regulation to win the West.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Rangers host Senators tonight and can eliminate the Stars from the President's Cup with one point. Boston and Carolina can still finish with more points than the Stars too.

Vancouver has two games remaining, tomorrow at home against Calgary and Thursday at Winnipeg. Canucks have to win both games and have the Stars lose in regulation to win the West.

It looks to me like in the event of a tie, carolina beats Dallas and Dallas beats Boston.  Would be tremendous if it was to eventually matter. 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It looks to me like in the event of a tie, carolina beats Dallas and Dallas beats Boston.  Would be tremendous if it was to eventually matter. 

That's what it looks like to me as well. Carolina has more RW's than Dallas and Boston and Dallas has more than Boston.

I don't have a ton of faith the Rangers won't secure the President's Trophy this evening. But it's definitely worth trying to finish ahead of Boston and Carolina. Job 1, however, remains getting the top spot in the West.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

That's what it looks like to me as well. Carolina has more RW's than Dallas and Boston and Dallas has more than Boston.

I don't have a ton of faith the Rangers won't secure the President's Trophy this evening. But it's definitely worth trying to finish ahead of Boston and Carolina. Job 1, however, remains getting the top spot in the West.

I can't decide. The fan in me wants to win the Presidents and take the top spot again, especially if it seems inevitable that we face VGK. Then there's scenario, I think (I don't have time to look it up because I still have Monday to deal with) but if VAN jumps us in the top spot, don't they face VGK? But I also lean toward if we're gonna have to play them, let's play them now - before they get all their magically healthy players back up to full game speed.

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I can't decide. The fan in me wants to win the Presidents and take the top spot again, especially if it seems inevitable that we face VGK. Then there's scenario, I think (I don't have time to look it up because I still have Monday to deal with) but if VAN jumps us in the top spot, don't they face VGK? But I also lean toward if we're gonna have to play them, let's play them now - before they get all their magically healthy players back up to full game speed.

There’s no easy way out. There’s no shortcut home. 

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I can see that. However, Vegas is only one point behind the Kings for third in the Pacific. They both have two games to play. The Kings will have the tie-break over Vegas, though, and their final two games are at home against Minnesota and Chicago. Vegas gets Chicago and Anaheim at home to close.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I can see that. However, Vegas is only one point behind the Kings for third in the Pacific. They both have two games to play. The Kings will have the tie-break over Vegas, though, and their final two games are at home against Minnesota and Chicago. Vegas gets Chicago and Anaheim at home to close.

I wouldn't put it past them to tank the final games to ensure an 8 seed. seems like some shit they would do

Ok so we’re behind nyr but ahead of bos. Car and van are what’s left to get settled, for home ice implications.  I suspect Carolina will handle Columbus.   So we just need to handle stl. 

kings are losing halfway through, so there’s still some mystery at the 6/7/8 in the west 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Boston’s loss means it can’t finish ahead of the Stars. Nashville lost and so did the Kings. Vegas is three points back of the Kings with two games in hand.

Of our three possible 1st round opponents give me:

1) Kings (by a mile)
2) Predators
3) Vegas

I don't know... you have no idea which LA you're going to get.  They have been crazy streaky in both directions this season, and they've been hot the last couple of weeks.

Of course, I just described Nashville, too.

38 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't know... you have no idea which LA you're going to get.  They have been crazy streaky in both directions this season, and they've been hot the last couple of weeks.

Of course, I just described Nashville, too.

I didn't realize how stingy LA has been in allowing goals this season. However, the Stars have beaten them all three times they've played them, outscoring them something like 13-3 in those games.

Let me put it this way -- if given a choice, I'd rather play the Kings or Preds than Vegas. Hell, Vegas might be ripe for the taking since they're fresh off a Cup win and it's very, very hard to repeat. The defending champ Avs departed in Round 1 last season.

20 hours ago, Zeus said:

I’ve been saying it for 4 years, this is it for Benn and Seguin. It’s do or die for this squad. 

Get hot Otty!

Probably Pavs as well.  But, hey, we get Suter back another year!  That makes it better!

• Hook 'Em 1