2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

12 hours ago, 'stache said:

I hope so but not feeling it at all. I think Luka is going to get slower and slower with his injury and the mentality after having the series all but sewn up and blowing it in a matter of minutes because of free throws might be too much to overcome. When your MVP candidate is so deadlegged he misses a free throw that hands the opponent the game, I just don't see coming back from something like that, especially on the road against the 1 seed. Just unbelievable, within a matter of minutes, literally, from such a high to such a low, I'm still struggling with it as a fan, can't imagine how it feels for the players. 

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

• Haha 2

Luka came to play tonight.  Let's see that again please.  Kyrie solid and DJJ playing the role of PJ tonight.

that flop from SGA on Luka was OKC pussification personified.  B-movie type acting that NBA officials actually bought.  they should be embarrassed.

Was at the game tonight-- weird mix of raucus at times (early and in the 4th) and nervousness from the crowd, but you could see the nerves on the players as well. Everyone here seems to hate Giddy and liked he was benched, but I think ultimately that did us a favor.

Paycom is a dump and the area around it is so tiny. Reminds me of Reunion Arena. Everything about OKC is big-timed by Big D-- they are toast and will wilt in the big city and/or at home in game 7. It's been written.

23 hours ago, 'stache said:

I hope so but not feeling it at all. I think Luka is going to get slower and slower with his injury and the mentality after having the series all but sewn up and blowing it in a matter of minutes because of free throws might be too much to overcome. When your MVP candidate is so deadlegged he misses a free throw that hands the opponent the game, I just don't see coming back from something like that, especially on the road against the 1 seed. Just unbelievable, within a matter of minutes, literally, from such a high to such a low, I'm still struggling with it as a fan, can't imagine how it feels for the players. 

Got any lottery numbers?

Full disclosure…I only watch the NBA during the playoffs.

Having said that, how the hell did OKC play their way to a 1 seed? I’m just not impressed with them as a team. SGA is legit, but I’m not seeing much else that says this is a 1 seed.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Having said that, how the hell did OKC play their way to a 1 seed? I’m just not impressed with them as a team. SGA is legit, but I’m not seeing much else that says this is a 1 seed.

I thought Draymond did a good job of answering this on Inside the NBA after the game. 

Basically said they ran a pretty simple offense all season that works during the reg season when you're playing teams on night 2 of a back to back etc. 

It's not working as well in the playoffs when teams have seven games to throw different looks at you, and as a result everyone not named SGA is having a much harder time.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

SGA is a foul merchant.  You literally cannot touch him without sending him to the line.  It's fucking absurd.  That's a huge part of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I watch a little of both Dallas and OKC during the regular season and I think the answer is that they run a pretty efficient offense and can be fast on defense, which works in the midst of opponents having limited time to scout and prepare, but they're not built to withstand a seven game series against an equal or superior opponent with time to focus and plan. In this series, the real problem for them is size. Chet's their only big and he can't handle Lively or Gafford or both. They also appear to be bad at strategy because they are doubling Luka and Kyrie on almost every play which is why guys like Washington and Gafford are blowing up. The second the double Luka, he finds the guy the second defender left open, often Gafford or Lively who are just standing there for lobs and dunks. I've been really happy (and I have to admit a little surprised) that it's working so well and so consistently. It seems old Squity Eyes should have tried some adjustments but it looks the same every game. OKC really has had only two good quarters, both happened to be the 4th of their two wins. 

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

OKC has also missed a lot of open 3’s. It’s a make or miss leagues especially in a 7 game series. A couple of below average shooting games and you’re going home. 

This is also due to the way Dallas is funneling all of the shooters inside to concede a floater or challenge at the rim and running them off the 3 pt line or forcing rushed attempts. OKC has missed some open looks but it isn't like they are just bricking wide open shots.

Dallas has clearly been the superior team and has played impressive D. I don't think many OKC fans truly expected to get that deep in the playoffs this year and are kind of considering this part of the rebuild process. It's a very young team and you gotta learn how to lose before you learn how to win. Just winning the West was a hell of an accomplishment. I think OKC and Minnesota have been a surprise to everyone. A lot of talk in OKC about trading Giddy and some picks for a Naz Reid type player. Mikal Bridges is a longshot target. 

2 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Dallas has clearly been the superior team and has played impressive D. I don't think many OKC fans truly expected to get that deep in the playoffs this year and are kind of considering this part of the rebuild process. It's a very young team and you gotta learn how to lose before you learn how to win. Just winning the West was a hell of an accomplishment. I think OKC and Minnesota have been a surprise to everyone. A lot of talk in OKC about trading Giddy and some picks for a Naz Reid type player. Mikal Bridges is a longshot target. 

I think OKC fans thought they'd go far when they finished as the 1 seed, and hard to really blame them, I thought they were better than this too. Like I said before, their lack of size appears to be the problem for them in 7 game series in which the opponent is equal or better (NO doesn't count, they were very weak for a playoff team).

Did the refs overturn that Doncic foul on Dort? 
The sandwich bar was calling me. 

Yes they did overturn it.

Did they say why Luka ran to the locker room?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Did the refs overturn that Doncic foul on Dort? 

The sandwich bar was calling me. 

They didn’t. Then Luka had an emergency bathroom break. Seriously. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
They didn’t. Then Luka had an emergency bathroom break. Seriously. 

What. They overturned the foul on Luka. Jason Kidd won the challenge.

I must have missed that, but the reason why Doncic left the floor was emergency bathroom break. 
We don’t know yet whether it was peepee or poopoo.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova