Civil War

babysdaddy

On 4/16/2024 at 3:15 PM, Damor said:

The "Breakers Roar" scene was one of the most absolutely stunning things I have seen in a long time.

Just saw it and came here to post this. Fuck yeah it was.

Great movie. Politically, I think people will see what they want to see in this movie. Objectively, let’s not do this fucking shit, okay?

• Like 2

I saw this recently and have a mixed opinion. It’s a good movie for sure, but something seemed off. I think it was too slow in parts by far. Then sudden intensity and back again.

The subject matter was definitely disturbing. Dunst did a great job as an exhausted person experiencing horror. The final battle scene was awesome, far fetched, and also disjointed from the rest of the movie.

It’s a tough movie to wrap up in a bow. The Jessie Plemmons bit was the best part and most disturbing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Agree with all of that. It seemed like it didn’t know what it was trying to be. A war movie, a movie about war journalists or a coming of age movie. Some of it I liked a lot and some of it I thought bordered on cheesy and boring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I saw this recently and have a mixed opinion. It’s a good movie for sure, but something seemed off. I think it was too slow in parts by far. Then sudden intensity and back again.

The subject matter was definitely disturbing. Dunst did a great job as an exhausted person experiencing horror. The final battle scene was awesome, far fetched, and also disjointed from the rest of the movie.

It’s a tough movie to wrap up in a bow. The Jessie Plemmons bit was the best part and most disturbing. 

Just got back after seeing it.  There were audible gasps in the theater about the Plemmons character.  However, shit like that happened in the Civil War here and others around the world.  Towards the end, it turns into a lawless wasteland and people start doing what they want regardless of the depravity. 

I'd also echo what others said.  The movie does a good job of straddling the sides to where you're really not sure who is who but that's the point.  You're left to fill in the blanks.  It's also a love letter and a nod to war correspondents.  They're not there to parse the issues.  They're there to report the story and get the pictures and that's what the main characters are doing here.  There's never any talk while driving about the drivers of the civil war in question.  It's just how to do their job.

The combat scenes were on point.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:39 PM, Mach 1 said:

The back and forth between slow parts and sudden intensity added to the realism for me. They weren't depicting a pitched battle, raging along a defined front. They were showing us a very messy war that consists of random skirmishes scattered about and pockets of peace as well as pockets of sheer terror.

I liked the way they showed all of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 11:05 PM, CooterBrown said:

It had a ton to say about war photographers. I think most viewers may not realize it’s a movie about that and not war.

This is my beef with it. Although, I'll say that I actually enjoyed the movie, I just wasn't satisfied with the story/writing/lukewarm message.

I think it was really well made and the sounds/shots (visuals)/acting were all great. Kirsten Dunst was great, Wagner Moura is a G. I just don't like that they teased "Civil War" in the leadup, to deliver a movie that had a lot to say about "war" as a concept, and nothing about the "Civil" part that was the teaser to get people into the seats. War takes a toll on the humanity of everyone around? Yes, I think we've been shown that in much better ways with more deeper and thorough storytelling. I've seen many of the greats, and there have been more than a handful over the decades. Did we just need a reminder that in-fighting will also lead to a lack of humanity? I can just log on to twitter to see that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from the theater and wow. My son and I both thought it was amazing, but I don't think the trailer gives you a good idea of the movie itself, which is much more bleak.

My degree is in journalism and this movie had me thinking about the photo from the Sudan in 1993 of the child and the vulture. The photographer, Kevin Carter, won the Pulitzer for it and took his own life a few months later. It re-ignited the whole debate about objectivity in journalism and what the role of journalists is in volatile situations. Are they just there to document and record, or do they step in and try to help? My stance has always been that we are humans first and that journalism, as necessary as it is to a free state, is a job and comes second to helping people. I will grant that that is an idealistic position and I've never been a war reporter. I'll spoiler the next part.

Spoiler

Civil War does a great job of straddling that line, but at the end I think it lands on the side of "humans first", with Lee sacrificing herself to save Jessie. Jessie will turn into Lee (but will die younger), but by the time she's Lee's age, there won't be any remnants of when the 50 states were united. It'll be full-on dystopia. And by that point, everyone will be in survival mode and modern ethics will be a relic. There'll be no need to debate this topic because it will be irrelevant.

War renders all of this irrelevant. We all return to our base elements when we're knocked down several rungs in Maslow's hierarchy. Kirsten Dunst is fantastic at portraying someone who was raised in a world vastly different than the one she ends up living in. I hope she gets some recognition come awards season.

• Like 3

Wife and I saw this and it was damn good. Yeah, it's propaganda and all that shit, but I love that they didn't pick a side and now people are up in arms about it instead of understanding it's shot through the eyes of the reporters. 

Jesse Plemmons character was unsettling, which was a major bonus. 

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Wife and I saw this and it was damn good. Yeah, it's propaganda and all that shit, but I love that they didn't pick a side and now people are up in arms about it instead of understanding it's shot through the eyes of the reporters. 

Jesse Plemmons character was unsettling, which was a major bonus. 

He's in it for all of 15 minutes and steals the show. As is typical for Jesse Plemons.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:49 AM, South Austin said:

One of the more unbelievable parts:

Rather good. Glad I finally saw it. I would have never based on the early trailers. But as stated it's not a war movie. Bullets easily go through walls and shit. Shell out some real money for authentic war machinery too, but maybe the military did not view this movie as advertising.

Like SouthAustin mentioned, there were more realistic ways for the exact scenario to play out that was would have made more sense. Many subtle things and unfinished dialogue that could have really put this movie over the top, especially in the finale. No reason for the penultimate death to be so case closed. Unknown would have been just fine.

But yeah, would recommend, but Violent.