USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

That fucking sucks.  Those players haven't done shit internationally except kick around some shitty Mexico squads.  Vetoing a coaching hire like they're Lebron James shouldn't be in the realm of possibility IMO.

Ah well, I guess there is always a chance we make it to the quarter finals after scoring like 2 goals in the group stage and pulling out a stoppage time 1-0 victory in the round of 16.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I don’t have an opinion on Marsch, but lots of USMNT folks I follow on Twitter who are vehemently anti Gregggg, thought Marsch would be an awful hire.  

Jesse never adjusted his Red Bull Gegenpress all high pressing all the time method from the time he became a head coach at Salzburg through Leipzig and onto Leeds. 

It worked at Salzburg, it didn’t work at Leipzig, because the manager who came into Leipzig (when Jesse left being an assistant at Leipzig to take the Salzburg job) completely overhauled the team and dumped the high pressing Energizer bunny players and brought in slower, ball possession players. Leipzig had no business bringing in Jesse with the roster they had and Jesse recognized this after a month or two, but stuck around for four. 

Gegenpress kind of worked at Leeds, because they had a Bielsa-built team who could play at that pace, but when their strikers sucked and they had some injuries, he didn’t adjust. He also had McKennie in for a loan to join T. Adams & B. Aaronson just weeks before he was fired. The whole thing was a clusterfuck and the top players must have said “Fuck that!”

There was no sign from Jesse that he would ever charge his style. If he had ever shown any flexibility, people wouldn’t have been so negative and he would be the USMNT manager right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

what has to happen for gregg to get fired? canada 6-0 usa? 

We needed to lose to Jamaica’s B-team in the semifinals of the Nations League AND not make it out of the group in the Copa America.

The last minute goal in the ~96th minute to tie it up fucked that. 

SUMMARY: There is no way that Gregg will get fired until after the 2026 World Cup.

Salzburg also had the largest payroll in Austria.  Jesse's system is a particularly poor fit for a national team and I expect Canada to take a step back from their historic achievements in the last CONCACAF qualifying campaign.  We all hate Greggg but Jesse was also an awful choice.  The most concerning element of this story is that Crocker appears to be a complete moron with Jesse and Greggg as his two top choices.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Salzburg also had the largest payroll in Austria.  Jesse's system is a particularly poor fit for a national team and I expect Canada to take a step back from their historic achievements in the last CONCACAF qualifying campaign.  We all hate Greggg but Jesse was also an awful choice.  The most concerning element of this story is that Crocker appears to be a complete moron with Jesse and Greggg as his two top choices.   

I don’t expect Jesse to gegenpress with Canada.

Expect that Jesse will copy most of John Herdman’s successful tactics from the 2022 Qualifying campaign and tweaking them a bit.

Think that he’s smart enough to understand that if he fucks up with Canada, he’s never working in Europe again. 

He may have a deep-seated belief about a club system, but he is many levels smarter than Gregg. (Most who post about soccer on Surly’s site are as well.)

I think that Gregg really studies the game of soccer, but I also feel that his IQ is in the upper 110s. He is slow to adapt and almost never anticipates. He just seems to be a very slow learner.

Think that Jesse has been stubborn, but he learns. He understands. He is just smarter. I think that he will do fine. I think that he would have been a better manager than Gregg if he had been hired in 2023, but he will definitely be better now after having to sit until mid 2024.

Amazing that this fucking idiot put Tim Tillman and Shaq Moore on the roster.  Sean Johnson and Miles Robinson also shouldn't be anywhere near this roster.  The rest of the roster almost picks itself so he gets all 4 of the open spots laughably wrong.  Truly one of the dumbest fucks on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

The rest of the roster almost picks itself so he gets all 4 of the open spots laughably wrong. 

I'm no GGG apologist, but who would you have chosen instead?

Remember we have a bunch of injuries on the back line and have the Olympics to think about. I don't think anyone who plays in Copa America is going to Paris.

Auston Trusty for sure instead of Robinson.

Whatever young GK doesn't make the Olympic team out of Callender, Slonina and Schulte.  Those guys need international experience and are all better than Johnson today.

Lennard Maloney for Tillman is obvious.  I'd rather have more depth at the 6 when Adams gets hurt after gggg plays him for 90 every game.

I wouldn't bring another RB.  I would sacrifice that spot to the cut.  Plenty of other guys can play there.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So we don't have another thread that covers this, so it goes here:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40235988/greenland-applies-concacaf-membership-concacaf

Greenland applied to join CONCACAF.

I have seen this 3 or 4 other places, but this is the post that I will finally respond to with my opinion.

Spoiler

🤷‍♂️