USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

This is the year that the USMNT has to make their stride. This is a team that has no qualification for the 2026 World Cup, so a big tournament like the Copa America (back to the USA) will be a good measuring stick.

Will Gregg finally get out of this team’s way and take them to the heights we expect? Or will be be like the last few coaches given an extension, and flame out before the next World Cup?

How about our players? Where do they end up? And how will their form be? Will this next generation of talent start to become what we expect? Will Gio take that next step? Will he stay healthy? Will Dest grow up? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any word on what Gio's doing to get out of Dortmund/teams looking at him? There is talk they are going to get Sancho back from ManU on loan, which potentially could push him further down their depth chart. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

On 1/1/2024 at 11:09 AM, Captain Ron said:

Will Gregg finally get out of this team’s way and take them to the heights we expect? Or will be be like the last few coaches given an extension, and flame out before the next World Cup?

I don't think Gregg survives the year. 

• Drool 3

23 hours ago, The Dog said:

I don't think Gregg survives the year. 

22 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Nor do I, which is why I put that in there. I think he is going to flame out in the Copa. We don't make it out of the group and look bad doing it, US Soccer will haver no choice but fire him.

I want him gone just as much as anyone, but we're not going to lose to Panama and Bolivia in the group stages. We're stuck with him until our disappointing home WC. I'm trying to make peace with that now. 

16 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I want him gone just as much as anyone, but we're not going to lose to Panama and Bolivia in the group stages. We're stuck with him until our disappointing home WC. I'm trying to make peace with that now. 

Both are better than Trinidad and Tobago and if Gregg can lose to them he can lose to anyone. Panama facerolled Costa Rica in the quarters of Nations League. There are no easy matches in this group. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Both are better than Trinidad and Tobago and if Gregg can lose to them he can lose to anyone. Panama facerolled Costa Rica in the quarters of Nations League. There are no easy matches in this group. 

The upside for Gregg is that these games are at home. The downside for him is that they are in a competitive tournament. Bolivia is a South American team and Panama can give us fits. In both cases, put the carrot of the Copa in there, they are not going to be easy wins.

Throw in Gregg has not yet showing he can let the team play free and open and you better believe we can lose one of those games. We could potentially draw either or both of these games and in this tournament, that could be detrimental. I think the margin of error for missing the KO round is a lot smaller than you might think.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

T&T is ranked 96 and Bolivia is 85. T&T was on the road and after a Dest red card. The US isn't losing to that team at home. When did the USMT A team last lose to Panama on home soil? 2015 Gold Cup maybe? And then that US team went on to win their group and finish in 4th in that Copa America in 2016. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The upside for Gregg is that these games are at home. The downside for him is that they are in a competitive tournament. Bolivia is a South American team and Panama can give us fits. In both cases, put the carrot of the Copa in there, they are not going to be easy wins.

Throw in Gregg has not yet showing he can let the team play free and open and you better believe we can lose one of those games. We could potentially draw either or both of these games and in this tournament, that could be detrimental. I think the margin of error for missing the KO round is a lot smaller than you might think.

Adams is going to be back and they are going to keep all the games low-scoring, just like the WC. Yes, it will be frustrating, but that and talent advantage will probably get us out of the group stages pretty easily in this tournament. 

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

Both are Panama is better than Trinidad and Tobago and if Gregg can lose to them he can lose to anyone. Panama facerolled Costa Rica in the quarters of Nations League. There are no easy matches in this group. 

Don't nobody go & talk 'bout Bolivia if you ain't South American like me is! (Since 2013)

1) Unless Bolivia is hosting any games at 12,000 feet above sea level, they are NOT "better than T&T".

To claim that a team of players that stand between 5' and 5'4" who are used to playing in cool weather over two miles above sea level when they rack up their FIFA ratings points is better than a team of grown human beings who are familiar with playing in the heat of summer is ridiculous.

2) Panama can beat the USA, but they probably won't.

3) Berhalter sucks, but he won't get fired. The USMNT will barely make it out of the group in 2nd place, but they will escape (despite my pulling for them to fail) and Gregg will continue to lead the team toward slight-better-than-mediocre level and we will possibly make the semifinals in 2026 despite having a team that could definitely make the semifinals with 3 years under a real coach.

Thank goodness I added citizenship of a country that actually takes soccer seriously or I would be completely glum.

7 hours ago, The Dog said:

Panama facerolled Costa Rica in the quarters of Nations League. 

Costa Rica ain't what they used to be. This group looks like Gregg special before getting bounced by a clearly better team as we roll out shit tactics in the KO round.

Gio Reyna sees himself as a 10, not as a winger, but he hasn’t proved himself in that role. In addition, Edin Terzić dislikes the fact that he shows defensive weaknesses. As a result, Gio is considered a departure candidate. Gio parted ways with his agent and his father is currently in talks with Sebastian Kehl and Terzić. Most recently, Marseille and Sevilla have expressed interest but that hasn’t been an option for Gio so far.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:03 AM, Captain Ron said:

Nor do I, which is why I put that in there. I think he is going to flame out in the Copa. We don't make it out of the group and look bad doing it, US Soccer will haver no choice but fire him.

I think this is pretty optimistic given we just let his contract expire and hired him back anyway 

• Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Anyone good suppose to play today in SA?

Camp cupcake had a few players. The problem isn’t the good players, it’s that the shitty players are really shitty and we already know this, we should be evaluating a lot more youth instead of guys we know will never make the top teams. 

On 1/5/2024 at 1:35 PM, Captain Ron said:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Camp cupcake had a few players. The problem isn’t the good players, it’s that the shitty players are really shitty and we already know this, we should be evaluating a lot more youth instead of guys we know will never make the top teams. 

Yep.  Used to drive me crazy when we'd have these games and play 31 year-old, MLS retreads over the youngsters.  Zardes, Nipple, Roldan, Lletget, etc...

• Hook 'Em 2