USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

Nothing to do with today’s match, that I didn’t know was happening, but…

Is Tyler Adams just going to take a red shirt this season?

It’s the second half of the season and he still isn’t even making the bench. 

11 hours ago, NoName said:

What a great hire. Err - rehire.

anchor man GIF

So of the 3 games he lost one was against Germany and the other two were completely fucking meaningless (and in one of those Dest decided to get a red halfway through).

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Y'all realize the friendly yesterday was basically a camp scrimmage. Everyone worth a shit was playing for their clubs yesterday in Europe. 

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

But losing to Trinidad and Tobago, red card or not is the epitome of why he was a bad rehire. He can’t lose that game with this talent. 

Well we WON the aggregate quarterfinal 4-2. And saying "red card or not" is silly. Dest got sent off in the 39th minute and then T&T scored twice in the next 20 minutes. In the other 4 games we've had against T&T under Gerg we've outscored them 22-0.

Thoughts on game, Olympic roster and 26 World Cup final.  

Add McGlynn, the Bosnian wing Bajratavecic and Luna to the Olympic team roster. Start Cardosa over Morris as a 6 and use Sargent as one of the 3 overage players. 

Why did ggg start three dm’s? Morris Atencio and zawadaski (who played cb). We have a dearth of quality center backs and he uses a dm as one.  Why did Sands as a dm, not play at all? 

And after watching multiple gold cup games at Jerry World, I think it’s a horrible place to watch soccer. The corner kicks were fucked up because the field wasn’t wide enough. And seeing a final four there the sight lines from above suck.  Watching US v Argentina in the Copa America semis at upper deck NRG stadium was so much better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Thoughts on game, Olympic roster and 26 World Cup final.  

Add McGlynn, the Bosnian wing Bajratavecic and Luna to the Olympic team roster. Start Cardosa over Morris as a 6 and use Sargent as one of the 3 overage players. 

Why did ggg start three dm’s? Morris Atencio and zawadaski (who played cb). We have a dearth of quality center backs and he uses a dm as one.  Why did Sands as a dm, not play at all? 

And after watching multiple gold cup games at Jerry World, I think it’s a horrible place to watch soccer. The corner kicks were fucked up because the field wasn’t wide enough. And seeing a final four there the sight lines from above suck.  Watching US v Argentina in the Copa America semis at upper deck NRG stadium was so much better. 

Houston’s luck with bribing hasn’t been great. 

Edited by Captain Ron

On 1/21/2024 at 9:45 AM, ztejas said:

So of the 3 games he lost one was against Germany and the other two were completely fucking meaningless (and in one of those Dest decided to get a red halfway through).

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Y'all realize the friendly yesterday was basically a camp scrimmage. Everyone worth a shit was playing for their clubs yesterday in Europe. 

BillyLiucciThujone.gif    

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/20/2024 at 10:26 PM, Napoleon said:

Nothing to do with today’s match, that I didn’t know was happening, but…

Is Tyler Adams just going to take a red shirt this season?

It’s the second half of the season and he still isn’t even making the bench. 

according to FotMob he's scheduled to return early February. 

Good news is it appears Bournemouth should stay in the EPL.

Edited by The Dog

A few sites asking if the January camp is still useful. They really note this year might just be an aberration, but this year featured a large number of players to likely not make an impact on the USMNT roster ever beyond this game (or maybe future January camps).

They note that in the past we have seen a number of players make an impact early in their careers that became mainstays, but this year with all of our talent, this camp especially, the focus doesn't seem to be identifying players that have a future with the USMNT. 

Interesting questions, and they note that Berhalter selections/strategy don't help.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/usmnt-january-camp-cupcake-beneficial/blt805b199b4dce77d6

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39350133/do-january-camps-benefit-usmnt

• Hook 'Em 1

Last one: US facing a goalkeeper crisis?

They note that Turner is just about a lock, but behind him is .... ? And this is after years of steady play from the position. 

And they outline why Turner (and others) have had issues moving up to bigger stages too.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39318038/why-usmnt-facing-goalkeeper-crisis-turner-steffen-horvath

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39380009/dortmund-reach-agreement-marseille-nottingham-forest-reyna-loan

Marseille and Nottingham Forest have both reached an agreement with Borussia Dortmund over a loan with an option for a permanent transfer for U.S. men's national team midfielder Gio Reyna, sources told ESPN.

Two unnamed clubs have reached a similar agreement with Dortmund, sources said, meaning it is now up to Reyna to decide where to take the next step of his career.

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

15 hours ago, The Dog said:

Marseille 

Definitely want Marseille over Nottingham, or anywhere in the UK, really.

Don’t know much about Marseille’s current squad other than they do not play in the UK.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Definitely want Marseille over Nottingham, or anywhere in the UK, really.

Don’t know much about Marseille’s current squad other than they do not play in the UK.

Marseille > Sevilla > Forest. And if $16million is accurate (to buy )there will be a couple other teams we aren't hearing about making bids. Ajax were interested a couple of months ago in a loan to buy, and if Villa are wanting him they go to #1 even in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Disagree. L1 sucks. Marseille ranks as a slightly better team but he will play against better players at Sevilla.

This is true, I'm about the only L1 fan I've ever met but its a pretty poor league that is getting by on historical reputation and PSG these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Klopp with nearly 24 months guiding the national team would be perfectly fine with me. 

That was my 1st thought as well, but he's said he's taking 12 months off before even looking at the next opportunity.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I don't know much about Fiorentina's roster, but that would be the move I'd want for him as I think his style is better suited for Italy or Spain. Fiorentina is currently in 6th and battling for a top 4 spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Italy would be great for Gio.  Very entertaining league.  Paramount Plus sub comes in real handy for Serie A games.  I'd tune in for Fiorentina games with Gio.  I have a soft spot for that club because of Batistuta back in the day. One of my favorite players.  That purple kit is kinda sweet.

fiorentinas-argentine-striker-gabriel-ba

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Italy would be great for Gio.  Very entertaining league.  Paramount Plus sub comes in real handy for Serie A games.  I'd tune in for Fiorentina games with Gio.  I have a soft spot for that club because of Batistuta back in the day. One of my favorite players.  That purple kit is kinda sweet.

fiorentinas-argentine-striker-gabriel-ba

Batistuta!!

How can you not love an Argentine attacking player?

And with Gio’s Argentine ancestry, the love in Florence would just keep flowing. Plus, that kit. A friend went to a Fiorentina match with his fiancée a couple of years ago and got kits and I just sent the Gio rumor tweet to him 5 minutes ago letting him know that he may have to get another Fiorentina kit if this goes through. 

Would be excellent!