USMNT 2024

Captain Ron

Here is what is going to happen

USA finishes 2nd in group with loss to Uruguay, 1 tie, and 1 win in uninspiring fashion. USA then falls to Brazil and we get a "Well it was Uruguay and Brazil!" so he keeps his job for the WC. 

At the World Cup it will be the exact same thing with a 2nd place in the group then losing in the first knockout game. There are more excuses and then a win over Mexico in there somewhere makes the federation boast how great we are for another cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

47 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Here is what is going to happen

USA finishes 2nd in group with loss to Uruguay, 1 tie, and 1 win in uninspiring fashion. USA then falls to Brazil and we get a "Well it was Uruguay and Brazil!" so he keeps his job for the WC. 

At the World Cup it will be the exact same thing with a 2nd place in the group then losing in the first knockout game. There are more excuses and then a win over Mexico in there somewhere makes the federation boast how great we are for another cycle.

Sadly that is exactly what is going to happen.  Hosting the World Cup with one of the best generations of players who will be hitting their peak should be the MNT's best chance in a long while to make some noise at the tournament.  Or at least it would If we had an elite manager. Even a good manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

Is there any indication whatsoever that Gregg is at risk to lose his job if he doesn't get a certain result in the tournament?  They REHIRED the guy, when they already had a built in solution to move in another direction.  Get used to him remaining on the sidelines.

Gregg would have only maybe  been in trouble if we had (1) Lost to Jamaica 🇯🇲, AND (2) Not made it out of the group in the Copa. 

#1 didn’t happen.

Gregg will be the manager through 2026 barring his demise in a car crash, falling off of a hotel balcony, slipping in the shower and falling on a gun that unloads 3 to 5 rounds in his back & head, food poisoning of the Putin-esque kind, a politician sicks his mob on him…

The loss to Jamaica really needed to happen. It didn’t. 

The talking heads on podcasts and such ask “Which big name coach is available? Who would really take this job right now?”

I would take BJ Callaghan in a heartbeat right now. 

It doesn’t have to be a big name, it just needs to be a person who understands how to let the players cook. 

🤬

2 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Is there any indication whatsoever that Gregg is at risk to lose his job if he doesn't get a certain result in the tournament?  They REHIRED the guy, when they already had a built in solution to move in another direction.  Get used to him remaining on the sidelines.

No, but the fact is that if you're going to bring him back, this team better damn well be performing well. Most people don't see that with this bunch. More on this in just a second.

44 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Gregg would have only maybe  been in trouble if we had (1) Lost to Jamaica 🇯🇲, AND (2) Not made it out of the group in the Copa. 

#1 didn’t happen.

Gregg will be the manager through 2026 barring his demise in a car crash, falling off of a hotel balcony, slipping in the shower and falling on a gun that unloads 3 to 5 rounds in his back & head, food poisoning of the Putin-esque kind, a politician sicks his mob on him…

The loss to Jamaica really needed to happen. It didn’t. 

The talking heads on podcasts and such ask “Which big name coach is available? Who would really take this job right now?”

I would take BJ Callaghan in a heartbeat right now. 

It doesn’t have to be a big name, it just needs to be a person who understands how to let the players cook. 

🤬

I disagree. Bob Bradley was fired after making the Gold Cup final in 2011. Granted, we had Klinsmann in the wings ready to go when that happened, so that had a lot to do with it.

But still, I can't help but think there is some consideration that the decision to retain Bradley isn't some mistake This team isn't getting a lot better with the maintained continuity. If this team flounders and/or flames out of the Copa American - I wouldn't be shocked to see Berhalter relieved of his duties.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I disagree. Bob Bradley was fired after making the Gold Cup final in 2011. Granted, we had Klinsmann in the wings ready to go when that happened, so that had a lot to do with it.

But still, I can't help but think there is some consideration that the decision to retain Bradley isn't some mistake This team isn't getting a lot better with the maintained continuity. If this team flounders and/or flames out of the Copa American - I wouldn't be shocked to see Berhalter relieved of his duties.

I would be floored. 

After all of the shit from the World Cup fallout and then BJ wins the Nations League with ease in 2023, to then bring back a shlub that some players were vocally not impressed with, you are committed to this guy. 

US Soccer hired a guy who was then given Gregg’s strengths as strengths to look for when hiring a new manager and low-and-behold, Gregg checked off all of the boxes? SHOCKING!

I don’t even think that Gregg would be fired if we lost all 3 group games at the Copa.

His seat isn’t even warm. 

We needed to lose to Jamaica’s B team AND not make it out of the group in the Copa and only then, would there be a hot seat. Then it would depend on a player mutiny and pushback from financial sponsors & talking heads.

Not one talking head thinks that Gregg is a good manager, but they all accept that he is the guy.

43 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

We needed to lose to Jamaica’s B team AND not make it out of the group in the Copa and only then, would there be a hot seat. Then it would depend on a player mutiny and pushback from financial sponsors & talking heads.

The first 95 minutes of the Jamaica game was so bad, I had actually settled on this as the reason.  I thought, perhaps they're throwing the game to get a new coach in place by Copa.

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

No, but the fact is that if you're going to bring him back, this team better damn well be performing well. Most people don't see that with this bunch. 

I don’t follow this nearly as closely as most on this thread, which also means I'm not as emotionally invested as others.  "Most people" don't make the decisions. Greg just won Nations League by beating our top rival 2-0. I don't believe not making COPA America semis will be seen as a collosal failure to the guys making the decisions.

We're not Germany, which means results are somewhere farther down the list of performance metrics than any fan of US Soccer wants.  Greg is a company man.  The decision makers rehired this clown after everything that went down during and after the World Cup, lukewarm support from players, ex-players, and media, and having parted ways when his contract ended. He's the guy through the WC.

Posted (edited)

I am all for playing Biro more but I presume that comes with 19 yo mistakes.  Jimenez was really bad Saturday but I still think Pereira and others give the ball away too freely in the back and leave those guys exposed.  

Is Hedges hurt?  I think he’s been effective too.  I didn’t see him warming up to come in Saturday.  Perhaps it was just “old guy gets to rest”.   But I am down with putting him and Cascante back there with BHi until Kolmanic and then Vaisenan come back. 

I don’t know what to make of Cascante.  He makes 3 amazing and 2 boneheaded plays a game.  I like the dude and he’s an AustinFC OG.  But I wonder if at full strength BHI and Hedges are better with V or Kolmanic pairing with Gallagher.?

Edited by A-Tex Devil

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If Milan loses Leal, does CP switch sides of the field?

probably but then they have to play Chukweuze on the right and he's not been that good until recently. big reason Pulisic and Leao have played so much is because Chuk hasn't been good enough to play the right regularly which would allow for breaks for both CP and Leao.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

If Milan loses Leal, does CP switch sides of the field?

On 4/9/2024 at 1:49 PM, The Dog said:

probably but then they have to play Chukweuze on the right and he's not been that good until recently. big reason Pulisic and Leao have played so much is because Chuk hasn't been good enough to play the right regularly which would allow for breaks for both CP and Leao.

I think they might try and find a LW to replace Leao and shift CP to the 10.

Saibari and Pepi will not be there tomorrow against Vitesse at PSV. Lozano is training again and can be in the selection. Babadi's injury is being examined today. He is not there against Vitesse.

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Reyna finally starting for Forest.

He just found a loose ball and ended up getting a shot that was wide.

But the play demonstrated why Forest is having so much trouble - Reyna had a forward along when he broke and the guy just completely drifted offsides and was out of the play from almost the start. It forced Reyna to take his long range/low percentage shot.

14 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Reyna with a pinpoint delivery for Gibbs-White's goal on a corner.

Watched some of the game, including this goal, but couldn’t remember who the other player besides our bench GK was on the squad, so I was pulling for Nottingham to lose. 

Go inform Gio!

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

LOL

It is definitely LOL, but honestly, presuming Wrexham do get promoted, and Rob and Ryan are willing to pay up, I imagine they are going to try to place some US names on the team.  Weston is too good, but if I am, say, Haji Wright, and they are willing to throw Championship money at me, I am listening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It is definitely LOL, but honestly, presuming Wrexham do get promoted, and Rob and Ryan are willing to pay up, I imagine they are going to try to place some US names on the team.  Weston is too good, but if I am, say, Haji Wright, and they are willing to throw Championship money at me, I am listening.  

Frankie Hejduk!

image.thumb.jpeg.21ee9a985fdf2f0b9561af632f0f0394.jpeg

• Haha 1

Please don't kill the messenger.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39987650/usmnt-sergino-dest-injures-knee-doubt-copa-america

United States international defender Sergiño Dest suffered a knee injury in PSV Eindhoven training on Saturday, casting his place at this summer's Copa America into doubt.

Dest, 23, is on loan at PSV from Barcelona and has helped the side romp to the top of the Eredivisie. With four games to play, they are nine points clear of Feyenoord and set to win the league title.

Dest, however, is unlikely to play for them again this season after a PSV statement described his injury as "serious."

The statement added the extent of Dest's condition is still being investigated, but they expect him to be out for a lengthy period.

Feels like a big loss, if I'm honest.

We've got some serviceable right backs, but none of them can do what Dest can. And his defense has improved over the past few years