Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

1 minute ago, torre said:

Need to consider a change.  Czech has done well but 3rd time thru the lineup is not her forte vs a team like LSU.

Yep. I’d go Simpson for the rest of the game 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gotta continue to keep them off the board and keep scoring 

Agreed.  We need to score more runs than they do in order to win the game.

🤘

Just now, Hondo said:

Umpire has suddenly extended the strike zone to include 4" off the outside corner.

it's total bullshit.  He's not giving us those calls.  I'm amazed Bella even got a barrel on that last pitch.  Blue is a clown.  

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I question that Maloney is good enough to help us. I feel like I'm watching Burke all over again. 

I'd like to see some rotation.  I agree with @Js1 that it seems as though Mia and Ashton have 3B and RF on total lockdown, and I'm not sure why that's the case.  

Down to our last 3 outs. We fucked ourselves in this one with Kavan's poor start, but LSU is good and she is a freshman after all.  Still, you gotta love the fact this team doesn't fold.  

Oh well least they didn’t get one run ruled. But the fight is there for this young team

Atwood needs to get it together 

and our freshman pitcher will be okay, that was her welcome to the SEC moment 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well no run rule but a loss is a loss. Kavan pitching a full game Saturday and in relief on Sunday and then starting Tuesday morning may have been too much to ask from the freshman 

Good point.   Hope Citlaly is not injured.

BYU (16-6) lost 2/3 to Tech this past wknd at McCombs Thur - Sat.

16 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

LSU put the hurt on us and they are undefeated.  Their infield is incredible compared to our patchwork job.   So long #1.   It was fun while it lasted.

I think they just showed and was a bit taken by the 11am Tuesday crowd. I’m happy Texas and Coach White got to see and experience something like this.

Cant go in going through the emotions LSU had the crowd behind them and you could tell. This we be life in the SEC for most sports 

31 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

LSU put the hurt on us and they are undefeated.  Their infield is incredible compared to our patchwork job.   So long #1.   It was fun while it lasted.

Already lost #1 after UH. Dropped to #3. LSU should be #1 now 

Lessons learned. Mike needs a come to Jesus moment with his starting 9. Leaving holes where there shouldn’t be 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Goode didn’t crack the lineup today. She played like an all American the first half of last season and hasn’t shown a lot since 

I went back and looked.  She batted .206 last year after conference play started with Tech.  She did well when the pitching was weaker and teams had no film on her.  She's done better not chasing out of the zone as much as she did as a freshman.  Still, she is not squaring up balls when they are there.  She has some bat drag in her swing, but I've noticed lots of softball chicks do, so I'm not sure that's a huge issue.  We need her though.  She's a really good fielder, but her bat just hasn't been there, and I'm sure the surgery didn't help.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Already lost #1 after UH. Dropped to #3. LSU should be #1 now 

Lessons learned. Mike needs a come to Jesus moment with his starting 9. Leaving holes where there shouldn’t be 

They were still listed as #1 for this game when I commented.   LSU just helped cement the change.

Just now, HuntinHorn said:

They were still listed as #1 for this game when I commented.   LSU just helped cement the change.

LSU’s stat site had us at 3 and LSU 2. TV picked different rankings I guess 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I went back and looked.  She batted .206 last year after conference play started with Tech.  She did well when the pitching was weaker and teams had no film on her.  She's done better not chasing out of the zone as much as she did as a freshman.  Still, she is not squaring up balls when they are there.  She has some bat drag in her swing, but I've noticed lots of softball chicks do, so I'm not sure that's a huge issue.  We need her though.  She's a really good fielder, but her bat just hasn't been there, and I'm sure the surgery didn't help.  

LeeAnne hasn't been bad in the limited time she has played this season.     I think she recently had a low production game  and she got yanked after that..     Then there was the recent game at 1st ..
2024- Stats
H- 11-35
AVG-.314
HR-1
RBI-8
R-9

Edited by HuntinHorn

27 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

LeeAnne hasn't been bad in the limited time she has played this season.     I think she recently had a low production game  and she got yanked after that..     Then there was the recent game at 1st ..
2024- Stats
H- 11-35
AVG-.314
HR-1
RBI-8
R-9

But like last year, those numbers are heavily influenced by crappy teams.  8 of her 12 hits came in games against LMU, Northwestern State, Tarelton State, and Hofstra. We won't see pitching that bad now that conference play has started.  

Against decent teams (Stanford, Colorado State, Louisiana, Texas State, Penn State, Houston), which is what we will see the rest of the way, she is 4/19. Not atrocious, but not that great either.  I think that's why she hasn't seen more time.  

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Time to admit LSU is for real and we are not national title contenders. WCWS yes but I don’t think we are going to contend with this young roster 

It's pretty clear that we don't have the pitching to win it. And don't have the fielding to make up for any of the pitching deficiencies.

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

But like last year, those numbers are heavily influenced by crappy teams.  8 of her 12 hits came in games against LMU, Northwestern State, Tarelton State, and Hofstra. We won't see pitching that bad now that conference play has started.  

Against decent teams (Stanford, Colorado State, Louisiana, Texas State, Penn State, Houston), which is what we will see the rest of the way, she is 4/19. Not atrocious, but not that great either.  I think that's why she hasn't seen more time.  

We'll see.   With the injury she hasn't had a consistent chance to prove it.  I sure feel better with her glove in the infield though at 2B.

19 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

We'll see.   With the injury she hasn't had a consistent chance to prove it.  I sure feel better with her glove in the infield though at 2B.

Well, with Mike White if you're just marginally a better hitter than your counterpart, you'll get the start even if you are a much worse liability on defense.  I don't see White straying from his philosophy at this point in his career. 

5 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

Not LSU fan….any sport….we will get’m next time…..

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well, with Mike White if you're just marginally a better hitter than your counterpart, you'll get the start even if you are a much worse liability on defense.  I don't see White straying from his philosophy at this point in his career. 

I think the philosophy he has is get hitters and swing and miss pitchers and then fielding doesn't matter.  he's lacking in one area unfortunately.  doesn't mean we can't be very good to great but not gonna be dominant.

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think the philosophy he has is get hitters and swing and miss pitchers and then fielding doesn't matter.  he's lacking in one area unfortunately.  doesn't mean we can't be very good to great but not gonna be dominant.

I agree with his recruiting philosophy overall and that seems to be the way college softball is going - hitting is king.  I like it; the games are more exciting in my opinion.

The key, though, is you have to have a Ron Washington-type on staff that can teach good hitters to be decent fielders because it's more feasible to take someone who has a great bat but shaky fielding and improve their fielding than vice versa.  Obviously, you're never gonna turn an iffy fielder into a starting SS, but you can definitely do it at the corners.  

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I agree with his recruiting philosophy overall and that seems to be the way college softball is going - hitting is king.  I like it; the games are more exciting in my opinion.

The key, though, is you have to have a Ron Washington-type on staff that can teach good hitters to be decent fielders because it's more feasible to take someone who has a great bat but shaky fielding and improve their fielding than vice versa.  Obviously, you're never gonna turn an iffy fielder into a starting SS, but you can definitely do it at the corners.  

If you can hit, you don't sit.

I'm more worried that we haven't been able to really get swing and miss pitchers but maybe OU hoarded them all.  certainly it isn't like the Cat days where pitching dominated and slap hitters were errrywhere but I really expected our pitching to be top notch after a couple of years.  They are very good but not elite.

I'm no softball expert but it just seems we haven't had "elite" type pitchers except for Miranda.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

If you can hit, you don't sit.

I'm more worried that we haven't been able to really get swing and miss pitchers but maybe OU hoarded them all.  certainly it isn't like the Cat days where pitching dominated and slap hitters were errrywhere but I really expected our pitching to be top notch after a couple of years.  They are very good but not elite.

I'm no softball expert but it just seems we haven't had "elite" type pitchers except for Miranda.

I agree in general, although Kavan is definitely a swing and miss pitcher (she has 55Ks this year). I think she will be considered "elite" by the time she leaves.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I agree in general, although Kavan is definitely a swing and miss pitcher (she has 55Ks this year). I think she will be considered "elite" by the time she leaves.  

Yeah she's just a freshman. Miranda had a 1.79 ERA as a freshman. 

Don’t forget the BYU series starts tonight because they don’t play on Sundays. A nice preview of the SEC since they do Thursday-Sat, Friday-Sun and Saturday-Monday conference series 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Looks like they have moved tomorrow's game up to 11:30. Assuming due to weather? Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. 

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/354aafe37aa0a42c04081ebbb93de8ee7531422ba721abc3ff758f434c2587ab

Thanks for the notice.    Looks like both Friday and Saturday could be affected.