Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Any news about McComb’s Field adding seats or upgrades?

we need it.  Our field looks pretty dumpy compared to most SEC schools and OU's palace.  

I'd like to see them cover the main stands, put in seats instead of benches, extend seating down the 1B line where the visitor bullpens and cages are now, and put in real, continuous outfield seating.  Maybe a Natty will get us that.   

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

we need it.  Our field looks pretty dumpy compared to most SEC schools and OU's palace.  

I'd like to see them cover the main stands, put in seats instead of benches, extend seating down the 1B line where the visitor bullpens and cages are now, and put in real, continuous outfield seating.  Maybe a Natty will get us that.   

I think a few trips to the new ballpark in Norman and the new aggy one and the other SEC stadiums will open CDC’s eyes 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

ISU and Tech tied 9-9

ISU just gave up 2 solo homers in the bottom of the 7th to blow a 9-7 lead 

Texas is going to pound these crappy pitching staffs into dust 

Edited by Js1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The fun part of the SECT will be sending home the host team since it rotates and every school hosts 

Another fun part is that the SECT will take place in Oklahoma once every 15 years instead of every single year

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

My god these teams are garbage.

Time for another 23-0 win tomorrow 

Maybe Reese will go for 2 more HR tomorrow 

Edited by Js1

Big 12 Tournament Day 2 (all games ESPN+)

#3 OKST vs. #6 BYU - 11am
#2 OU vs. #7 KU - 1:30pm
#1 Texas vs. #8 Texas Tech - 5pm
#4 Baylor vs. #5 UCF - 7:30pm

SEC Tournament Day 3 (all games on SEC Network)

#1 Tennessee vs. #8 LSU - 10am
#4 Arkansas vs. #5 Missouri - 1pm
#2 Florida vs. #7 Georgia - 4pm
#3 aggy vs. #11 South Carolina - 7pm

There's also the Pac 12 tournament day 2 on Pac 12 Network (lol no one gets that)

#3 Oregon vs. #6 Utah
#2 Stanford vs. #7 Cal
#1 UCLA vs. #9 ASU
#4 Washington vs. #5 Arizona

And the ACC Tournament day 2 (ACC Network)

#1 Duke vs. #9 Boston College
#4 Virginia vs. #5 Clemson
#2 Florida State vs. #10 Notre Dame
#3 Virginia Tech vs. #6 Georgia Tech

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I cannot wait to be in the SEC.  No more ESPN+ for the conference tournament day 1-3.  SEC Network is top-notch production, including having Scarborough, Mendoza, Mowins and Smith doing pbp and color. 

Pete Souza and Natasha Watley are doing the Big 12 tournament games on ESPN+, which Eric Frede and Madi Shipman doing the champ game on ESPN2.  Madi Shipman and Natasha Watley are fine, but we couldn't get a couple of former Big 12 players (Cat? Erin Miller??) to do our conference game color commentary instead of a former SEC player and a former Pac 12 player? 

I'd say Cat and Erin Miller are probably 100x more knowledgeable on Big 12 programs than Shipman and Watley. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I cannot wait to be in the SEC.  No more ESPN+ for the conference tournament day 1-3.  SEC Network is top-notch production, including having Scarborough, Mendoza, Mowins and Smith doing pbp and color. 

Pete Souza and Natasha Watley are doing the Big 12 tournament games on ESPN+, which Eric Frede and Madi Shipman doing the champ game on ESPN2.  Madi Shipman and Natasha Watley are fine, but we couldn't get a couple of former Big 12 players (Cat? Erin Miller??) to do our conference game color commentary instead of a former SEC player and a former Pac 12 player? 

I'd say Cat and Erin Miller are probably 100x more knowledgeable on Big 12 programs than Shipman and Watley. 

agree. Also can't wait for the centralized reviews. Big 12 is trash.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bschoolprof said:

agree. Also can't wait for the centralized reviews. Big 12 is trash.  

Yep, field mics for the umps and centralized reviews. 

@Js1   Do you know what Mike is referring to concerning "new formula" ?   Perhaps you have mentioned and I may have missed.   And Mike is making comments to get team to focus.  (I realize you have presented stats that strongly favor Texas as #1 seed,  just curious about his comments)

“That's a really hard thing to say,” White said when asked whether the Big 12 champion seems like a lock for the top overall NCAA seed. “I mean, there's a new formula coming in, and I'm not sure how all that is going to figure it out, and there’s always the human factor in there as well. So we’ll just have to wait and see; all we can do is control what we control on the field and just play good softball.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/softball/2024/05/08/will-the-big-12-tournament-champion-earn-the-no-1-overall-ncaa-softball-seed-texas-says-yes/73568174007/

Just like the conference tourney, I don’t know that there’s much difference between being overall 1 or 2 in the ncaa.  I doubt the quality of opponent is much different, and you are on the opposite side of the bracket from the other in either case, playing at home for regional and super and then in okc. 

1 minute ago, torre said:

@Js1   Do you know what Mike is referring to concerning "new formula" ?   Perhaps you have mentioned and I may have missed.   And Mike is making comments to get team to focus.  (I realize you have presented stats that strongly favor Texas as #1 seed,  just curious about his comments)

“That's a really hard thing to say,” White said when asked whether the Big 12 champion seems like a lock for the top overall NCAA seed. “I mean, there's a new formula coming in, and I'm not sure how all that is going to figure it out, and there’s always the human factor in there as well. So we’ll just have to wait and see; all we can do is control what we control on the field and just play good softball.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/softball/2024/05/08/will-the-big-12-tournament-champion-earn-the-no-1-overall-ncaa-softball-seed-texas-says-yes/73568174007/

I think he's talking about KPI, which is a tool the committee uses, but not the tool, but it is a new tool the committee is incorporating into their criteria.  Typically the committee looks at:

• RPI
  • SOS
  • Top 10 wins
  • Top 25 wins
  • And now KPI

Mike is hedging, because Texas is #1 in RPI, #1 in KPI, #7 SOS, 7 top 10 wins, 15 top 25 wins.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just like the conference tourney, I don’t know that there’s much difference between being overall 1 or 2 in the ncaa.  I doubt the quality of opponent is much different, and you are on the opposite side of the bracket from the other in either case, playing at home for regional and super and then in okc. 

There's not that much difference, but we need to see the top 8 seeds first to gauge who #1 Texas would face in their side of the WCWS bracket with if we made it.  They'd open with #8 and face the winner of #4/5. 

#4 could be OU or OKST.  Will likely be whoever loses Bedlam part 4 on Friday (if they both win today).  

OKST has a bit of a resume problem: #8 RPI, #5 KPI, SOS #31, only 9 top 25 wins and a bad series loss to ISU (plus losses to BYU, Tulsa and Baylor), but they do have series wins over Texas and OU
OU is still #2 in RPI and KPI, #22 SOS, also only 9 top 25 wins (and only 3 top 10 wins I believe)

I honestly have no idea what the committee is going to do.  LSU has a super high RPI, but they shouldn't be a top 8 seed with 14 losses.  Duke has a super high RPI, but they have no top 10 wins.  OKST has a meh SOS and the 2 best series wins in the country (Texas and OKST), but that ISU series loss is so so bad.  UCLA is RPI #10 and won the Pac 12, so I can't see them being left out of the top 8. 

Texas at #1 and Tennessee at #2 are the only thing I'm comfortable saying will happen. 

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

To this day, Natasha Watley is the best women's softball player I have ever seen. Go search her highlights on youtube and prepare to be amazed at how fast she played the game.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I hope we don't come out this flat.

I think OKST has/had a serious OU hangover and was too keyed up about another chance at OU tomorrow. 

Weather in Auburn does not look good.  I dont think they can get in 4 games today

Goodness, that should have been an out at home.  Catcher dropped another one

6-0 BYU

I missed out on the returning players discussion earlier, but just read it all .  Good stuff in there.  Thank yall for the insight.  One more thing and I'll move into the game watching mode.   I didn't see any 2nd and shortstop conversation.   Is that pretty much going to be ViVi and Goode right now or does the Captain have a Covid year (that may be used up already)?   Or somebody else on the roster I haven't seen?

Just now, HuntinHorn said:

I missed out on the returning players discussion earlier, but just read it all .  Good stuff in there.  Thank yall for the insight.  One more thing and I'll move into the game watching mode.   I didn't see any 2nd and shortstop conversation.   Is that pretty much going to be ViVi and Goode right now or does the Captain have a Covid year (that may be used up already)?   Or somebody else on the roster I haven't seen?

Goode at 2B and Vivi at short, assuming both return.  This is the era of hoping players don't leave

Cap is done done.  She, Bella, Whitaker and Czech had their senior games/day.  Joley is the only senior eligible to return because she started her career at Notre Dame in 2020. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HuntinHorn said:

Cap is gone.  I think it's ViVi and Goode next year.  Hunter did play SS in high school, but I don't think she has the range for that in D1.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Cap is gone.  I think it's ViVi and Goode next year.  Hunter did play SS in high school, but I don't think she has the range for that in D1.  

Vivi, minus some early season struggles, has been pretty lights out at short.  She has an elite defensive range. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Goode at 2B and Vivi at short, assuming both return.  This is the era of hoping players don't leave

Cap is done done.  She, Bella, Whitaker and Czech had their senior games/day.  Joley is the only senior eligible to return because she started her career at Notre Dame in 2020. 

Thank you js1 and bschoolprof....   Hopefully they do stay.   You'd think being the penciled in starters, they'd both return.  I guess we'll see. 

Just now, HuntinHorn said:

Thank you js1 and bschoolprof....   Hopefully they do stay.   You'd think being the penciled in starters, they'd both return.  I guess we'll see. 

We've speculated on who would leave (Simpsons, Ryan Brown, Katie C.) but I'm pretty much assuming every starter is staying around.  Texas should be preseason #1. 

White has been pretty good at keeping players who are season-long starters or get significant time.  There's been some attrition over the years (Ryleigh White, Bri Cantu, Camille Corona, Taylor Ellsworth, JJ Smith) and a couple really weird ones (Elish obviously, but also Popelka and Day who ended up not playing this season at the schools they committed to) but no one that made everyone go "oh fuck, are you kidding me?" 

LSU/Tenn pushed to 4pm and will maybe get one more game (Arky/Mizzou) in today.  Other 2 games are being pushed to tomorrow morning, with the SEC Semifinals in the evening. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vivi, minus some early season struggles, has been pretty lights out at short.  She has an elite defensive range. 

def agree.  Goode is actually an excellent defensive 2B as well - very smooth.  I worry more about her bat against good (ha!) pitching.  She has/had a draggy swing with lots of wrist roll/poor extension that causes her to roll over too many balls she should square up.  Maybe Singleton can get that cleaned up.