2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

Played last week before the freeze.  81 in 25 mph wind that could have been a 77.  It’ll be 70 in no time and back in the weekly groove.  Still won’t get below a 7 index.  But I love this game.  

• Hook 'Em 3

This is the year I finally break 80. I had a few rounds in the low 80s last year and felt like I was close, had to take a few weeks off and then didn’t get close the rest of the season. 

The main stat I need to work on, unsurprisingly, is GIR. And in my case that comes down approach accuracy. By far the weakest part of my game. 

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Played last week before the freeze.  81 in 25 mph wind that could have been a 77.  It’ll be 70 in no time and back in the weekly groove.  Still won’t get below a 7 index.  But I love this game.  

7 is stout 

ill be at the golf range. should play more but never do

• Hook 'Em 1

Teaching my daughter the game after getting her first set of sticks for Xmas. 

Working on the fundamentals now, and she’s excited to go to the range and eventually play a round with dad. 

Any tips/drills yall got for helping kiddos (my daughter is 8yo fwiw) learn the game are greatly appreciated 🤘

She was pumped after this swing, and rightfully so. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

7 is stout 

ill be at the golf range. should play more but never do

Funny thing is that I play, on average, once a week and it doesn’t seem to affect my scores.  I played 72 rounds last year-most ever, but I can go a month without playing and it doesn’t seem to matter.  

10 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Working on the fundamentals now, and she’s excited to go to the range and eventually play a round with dad. 

Any tips/drills yall got for helping kiddos (my daughter is 8yo fwiw) learn the game are greatly appreciated 🤘

hands a little in front of the ball, arms away from the body

tell her to swing like a mad man and have fun. end range time with a little chipping or putting contest between you two

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 8:12 PM, heso said:

This is the year I finally break 80. I had a few rounds in the low 80s last year and felt like I was close, had to take a few weeks off and then didn’t get close the rest of the season. 

The main stat I need to work on, unsurprisingly, is GIR. And in my case that comes down approach accuracy. By far the weakest part of my game. 

Oooor, work on chipping/pitching.

At least for me, my irons can come and go - it's the most minute difference in angle of face/path that can make a monumental difference in ball flight and if it's off, it's damn hard to get it back during a round. With my short game now, I'm very confident it's always there to bail me out. Short game is also a lot easier to practice daily.

My mentality is every birdie putt I get is a bonus. I play for the up and downs.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:16 PM, hookemATL said:

IMG_8010.mov

On 1/16/2024 at 8:28 PM, tx 3 putt said:

hands a little in front of the ball, arms away from the body

tell her to swing like a mad man and have fun. end range time with a little chipping or putting contest between you two

And buy her lots of candy and sugary drinks when on the course/range. All the positive reinforcements in the world!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Oooor, work on chipping/pitching.

At least for me, my irons can come and go - it's the most minute difference in angle of face/path that can make a monumental difference in ball flight and if it's off, it's damn hard to get it back during a round. With my short game now, I'm very confident it's always there to bail me out. Short game is also a lot easier to practice daily.

My mentality is every birdie putt I get is a bonus. I play for the up and downs.

Chipping & pitching is my #2 priority heading into this season. I’m losing far fewer shots chipping and pitching than I am with my irons. I’m standing in the fairway or on a par 3 tee box and every possible miss is in play, fat, thin, shank, pull hook, big slice.

I would rather have 230 to the pin hitting 3w off the deck than I would a 9i from 140. Playing out 10 shots from each spot, my scoring average is going to be lower from 230 than 140. 

But also, I “get” chipping and pitching. I understand it and I like working on it. The biggest problem I have with chipping is not having a bump and run. I struggle with long chips, especially up hill, a lot more than I do with having to hoist it high and get it to stop. often times, just off the green with a long uphill chip I end up leaving it way short because the height and upslope killed it or, having to carry it the whole way there, I go way long. So I need to get a low runner into my game this year. Just a matter of practicing it to get the feel for the distance. 

40 minutes ago, heso said:

But also, I “get” chipping and pitching. I understand it and I like working on it. The biggest problem I have with chipping is not having a bump and run. I struggle with long chips, especially up hill, a lot more than I do with having to hoist it high and get it to stop. often times, just off the green with a long uphill chip I end up leaving it way short because the height and upslope killed it or, having to carry it the whole way there, I go way long. So I need to get a low runner into my game this year. Just a matter of practicing it to get the feel for the distance. 

I just change my club from a 60 to a GW (49 degree I think), choke down a little and alter my landing target to be considerably closer to me (so like 25% of the way to the hole instead of 75% of the way) but otherwise use the exact same stance, motion, swing thought as I do with my 60. GW will roll a ton more than a 60. Takes time to get the feel for it but I like the consistency between the two and use both equally.

34 minutes ago, heso said:

The biggest problem I have with chipping is not having a bump and run.

What club do you typically use for this?  I love using a less lofted club right off the green if necessay and have had solid results using an 8i to chip with.  I also occasionally use the hybrid/3 wood if its more "puttery" looking and im not feeling the chip at that moment.  

**I also flub/skull the bump and run.**

7 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

What club do you typically use for this?  I love using a less lofted club right off the green if necessay and have had solid results using an 8i to chip with.  I also occasionally use the hybrid/3 wood if its more "puttery" looking and im not feeling the chip at that moment.  

**I also flub/skull the bump and run.**

I usually use a 3 clubs (pitching, sand, and lob) to bump and run, depending on uphill, downhill, and how much green I have to work with. If possible, I like to have the same length take away and follow through letting the club loft dictate how far the ball goes. Uphill, I club up (lower loft). Downhill I club down (higher loft). Short sided, I club down.

For me, chipping is all about tempo. If I try to rush the swing, I blade it. If I try to slow down, I chunk it. I usually hold hands and forearms lose, ball way back in stance, and let the clubface "fall" onto the back of the ball, remembering to rotate hips through contact. Sometimes when I'm rushing my tempo and blading it, I'll make a mental note to pause at the top of the short backswing. That helps quiets my torso and hips to not rush the swing.

But it's golf so often times, it all goes to shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Why does he want to make golf even harder?

Only weird dude I've ever got randomly paired with is a dude who had a right handed and left handed putter in his 14 club bag. Inside 10 feet, he putts with whatever handed club allows the ball to break away from him. Inside 10, if it's left to right break, he'll putt right handed. Inside 10, if it's right to left, he putts left landed. He claims that he sees the line better with it breaking away from him. Anything over 10 and straight line putts inside 10, and he is a right handed putter.

I don't think he made any 6-10' putts so I'm not sure it was working out all that well for him.

Golf is all between the ears.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bought the costco golf gloves to use for practice. 4 gloves for $22. Feels just like a foot joy

Friend gave me one. Solid glove don’t care if it only lasts 3-4 rounds at that price. I’ll be buying more. 

Costco gloves last more than 3 or 4 rounds—at least for me.  My only issue is that I’m between a small and medium.  And some of the mediums fit ok and some are too large.  And same for the smalls.  Seems like there’s a QC issue.  

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Costco gloves last more than 3 or 4 rounds—at least for me.  My only issue is that I’m between a small and medium.  And some of the mediums fit ok and some are too large.  And same for the smalls.  Seems like there’s a QC issue.  

I noticed this with the last "discount" golf glove I tried - one fit fine, the other way too snug despite both being a L. Foot Joys have always been consistent. 

Regardless of glove brand, even playing weekly (at least), my gloves last a while. A 4 pack is probably enough to get me through most of the year.

40 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I noticed this with the last "discount" golf glove I tried - one fit fine, the other way too snug despite both being a L. Foot Joys have always been consistent. 

Regardless of glove brand, even playing weekly (at least), my gloves last a while. A 4 pack is probably enough to get me through most of the year.

Same here.  Maybe I need 5 gloves for the year.  I average around 65 rounds a year and much of that is in the Houston heat and humidity.  

If you take care of a glove and store it properly(not stuffing it into a side pocket of your golf bag after sweating into it for the better part of 4 1/2 hours) it should definitely last you a good while. For those ultra humid rounds during the summer i always have a couple though, and will rotate them every few holes.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, crash_davis said:

Why does he want to make golf even harder?

Only weird dude I've ever got randomly paired with is a dude who had a right handed and left handed putter in his 14 club bag. Inside 10 feet, he putts with whatever handed club allows the ball to break away from him. Inside 10, if it's left to right break, he'll putt right handed. Inside 10, if it's right to left, he putts left landed. He claims that he sees the line better with it breaking away from him. Anything over 10 and straight line putts inside 10, and he is a right handed putter.

I don't think he made any 6-10' putts so I'm not sure it was working out all that well for him.

Golf is all between the ears.

That Teebox looks Three Jack National with Miquel on tequila bender

14 hours ago, deadshank said:

Where are you in the Burgh?

About 15-20 mins north of downtown. Between mccandless and Glenshaw if you’re familiar with the area. A bit south of wildwood country club if we’re keeping it golf related. 

You spend time in Pittsburgh? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, heso said:

About 15-20 mins north of downtown. Between mccandless and Glenshaw if you’re familiar with the area. A bit south of wildwood country club if we’re keeping it golf related. 

You spend time in Pittsburgh? 

I have in-laws that live in Upper St. Claire.  He lives on some golf course there.  Great area.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I have in-laws that live in Upper St. Claire.  He lives on some golf course there.  Great area.

St Claire country club? That’s a great course. Somewhere in the 3-6 range of the best courses in Pittsburgh.

Oakmont is obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.

Fox Chapel is 2nd, designed by Seth Reynor, a lot of classic CB Macdonald template holes. Hosts women’s and senior events, doesn’t really have the length for the modern men’s pro game. 

The next tier has St Claire, Longue Vue, Pittsburgh Field club, probably a few others could claim to be in that tier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, heso said:

St Claire country club? That’s a great course. Somewhere in the 3-6 range of the best courses in Pittsburgh.

Oakmont is obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.

Fox Chapel is 2nd, designed by Seth Reynor, a lot of classic CB Macdonald template holes. Hosts women’s and senior events, doesn’t really have the length for the modern men’s pro game. 

The next tier has St Claire, Longue Vue, Pittsburgh Field club, probably a few others could claim to be in that tier. 

That’s the course his house abuts.   Nice looking joint.    

1 hour ago, heso said:

Is he a member? Also does he like playing golf with strangers from the internet?

Nah.  He was a member at another club in Peters Township but he's not real interested in a golf club anymore.  

So.....give him two a side and let him play from the women's tees.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Nah.  He was a member at another club in Peters Township but he's not real interested in a golf club anymore.  

So.....give him two a side and let him play from the women's tees.

In Peters township that probably would have been valley brook. My uncle is a member there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 4:12 PM, Pam Cummings said:

If you take care of a glove and store it properly(not stuffing it into a side pocket of your golf bag after sweating into it for the better part of 4 1/2 hours) it should definitely last you a good while. For those ultra humid rounds during the summer i always have a couple though, and will rotate them every few holes.

I got one of these as a thank you gift for subscribing to The Golfer’s Journal. 

Game changer. Rotate the gloves and they’ll last much longer. 

IMG_0879.png

On 2/2/2024 at 3:57 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

About a month ago I threw my driver in the closet and have been hitting the 4iron off the box.  Score has dropped 3 strokes because I’m not in the fucking woods anymore 

tee it up a little higher

buy a driver that looks best to you 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2024 at 3:57 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

About a month ago I threw my driver in the closet and have been hitting the 4iron off the box.  Score has dropped 3 strokes because I’m not in the fucking woods anymore 

When else are you supposed to take a piss? 

• Haha 1