Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

Bernie using his YUGE list to mobilize support for teachers who are demonstrating.

Republican legislators in West Virginia have called a special legislative session to impose school privatization and to further criminalize striking after educators led successful statewide strikes in 2018 and 2019. Teachers and other school workers are coming from all across the state to make their voices heard at the capitol. Join educators in WV as they fight for their rights — and for the rights of all students to receive quality public education.

The fact that Bernie is constantly mobilizing with strike/protest movements is yet another reason he is best suited to deal with the inevitable gridlock that will greet any Dem who wins in 2020.

- We are not going to bipartisan compromise our way to change.
- We aren't even going to get major change with a Democratic majority alone.

We need the people in motion in the streets.

Bernie has been building coalitions with activists and labor unions, and these are the people who will march in the streets, call Congresspeople, and protest. Politicians will bend to popular pressure and massive public demonstrations even if their corporate overlords (which will be powerful even in a Democratic-majority Congress).

Any candidate who isn't basing their future power on massive public movements is not worth your time.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:00 AM, bad_teammate said:

The fact that Bernie is constantly mobilizing with strike/protest movements is yet another reason he is best suited to deal with the inevitable gridlock that will greet any Dem who wins in 2020.

- We are not going to bipartisan compromise our way to change.
- We aren't even going to get major change with a Democratic majority alone.

We need the people in motion in the streets.

Bernie has been building coalitions with activists and labor unions, and these are the people who will march in the streets, call Congresspeople, and protest. Politicians will bend to popular pressure and massive public demonstrations even if their corporate overlords (which will be powerful even in a Democratic-majority Congress).

Any candidate who isn't basing their future power on massive public movements is not worth your time.

I agree with your general point but as long as he refuses to support eliminating the filibuster I can't see how this is true. If the Dems take the senate and eliminate the filibuster, they can get a lot of shit done. Giving the GOP a veto point for no reason is...not the way to get shit done.

The GOP won't respond to popular will.  They won't be shamed.  They won't have a moment of wisdom where they go "oh, this is monumentally unpopular, so we need to adopt more popular policies."  If they're allowed to maintain enough power, they'll double down on the racism, and the voter suppression, and the election rigging, and they'll become more and more authoritarian.  Winning the presidency and the senate and not eliminating the filibuster is just gifting them a huge amount of power, and that's pure insanity.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I agree with your general point but as long as he refuses to support eliminating the filibuster I can't see how this is true. If the Dems take the senate and eliminate the filibuster, they can get a lot of shit done. Giving the GOP a veto point for no reason is...not the way to get shit done.

He will blow up the filibuster if necessary (it wouldn't technically be up to him as president), he just doesn't want it to come to that. He wants a return to the talking filibuster (instead of the bullshit we have now) and wants a filibuster there to protect the minority, which is something we would have in an ideal system.

If he can get M4A by blowing up the filibuster, that shit is gone. Come on.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

He will blow up the filibuster if necessary (it wouldn't technically be up to him as president), he just doesn't want it to come to that. He wants a return to the talking filibuster (instead of the bullshit we have now) and wants a filibuster there to protect the minority, which is something we would have in an ideal system.

The legislative filibuster needs to be abolished yesterday.

Just now, David Dennison said:

The legislative filibuster needs to be abolished yesterday.

Only if...

- We can't get the necessary majority 
OR
- We can't use mass public movements, protests, and demonstrations to bully the votes (there is zero chance of good will on the part of Republicans, but they do want power)

If we can get one of those, there's no need to abolish the filibuster. Are odds high that we get those? No, but our hopeful vision of the future should be victory, not defeat.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Only if...

- We can't get the necessary majority 
OR
- We can't use mass public movements, protests, and demonstrations to bully the votes (there is zero chance of good will on the part of Republicans, but they do want power)

If we can get one of those, there's no need to abolish the filibuster. Are odds high that we get those? No, but our hopeful vision of the future should be victory, not defeat.

It needs to go no matter what. Period.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

From your link: 

On Wednesday, Sanders squared the circle. He’s not going to change the rules so much as command his vice president, who will be the presiding officer of the Senate, to ignore them. In a statement, Sanders said:

I would remind everyone that the budget reconciliation process, with 51 votes, has been used time and time again to pass major pieces of legislation and that under our Constitution and the rules of the Senate, it is the vice president who determines what is and is not permissible under budget reconciliation. I can tell you that a vice president in a Bernie Sanders administration will determine that Medicare for All can pass through the Senate under reconciliation and is not in violation of the rules.

This is a quite radical maneuver — arguably more radical than simply abolishing the filibuster — and thus bears some explaining.

What Sanders is saying is that he will command his vice president to ignore the parliamentarian’s advice and simply rule that anything he wants to do is permissible under reconciliation. This strategy has been floated before — Ted Cruz and Rand Paul proposed that Republicans use it during the debate over Obamacare repeal — but never actually used, because it is, if anything, more consequential than simply destroying the filibuster, as it could be applied to all sorts of other Senate procedures as well.

“It would mean that henceforth, all ‘rules’ in the Senate are subject to the blatantly partisan interpretation of the VP, who is following the dictates of the president,” says Gregory Koger, a political scientist at the University of Miami and the author of the book Filibustering.

Koger’s objection, which lots of Senate rules wonks share, is that at least when you change the rules, you change them for everyone. Simply commanding the vice president to stop enforcing them creates a Senate where anything goes. “This would represent a tremendous escalation of partisanship in the Senate, and of presidential control over the Senate,” Koger says.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Remember when someone asked Bernie what his favorite book was and he said it was a book about to come about written by Bernie Sanders. 

Good stuff. 

I like you, but if your only intent is to come in here and shit on Bernie - especially with remarkably weak shit like that - it probably won't end well for you. Focus your vitriol on Trump. Bernie can't hurt you.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Does Bernie not understand the difference between revenue and profit?

Oh shit. You fucking nailed him. I heard a bunch of these video game people tried to unionize but then Blizzard or whoever was like "do you even understand the difference between revenue and profit?" and of course they didn't and then there was no union because they don't understand these high minded financial concepts like we do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I like you, but if your only intent is to come in here and shit on Bernie - especially with remarkably weak shit like that - it probably won't end well for you. Focus your vitriol on Trump. Bernie can't hurt you.

Oh come on, that's a funny story.  There was nothing vitriolic about my post.  

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

If?

lol

He pulled that meme from FOXNews.com

23 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Oh shit. You fucking nailed him. I heard a bunch of these video game people tried to unionize but then Blizzard or whoever was like "do you even understand the difference between revenue and profit?" and of course they didn't and then there was no union because they don't understand these high minded financial concepts like we do. 

I guess I'm not understanding what the point of including the "43 billion dollars" is.   

Disclaimer: I worked for Origin Systems for three years in the 90s, so I might not without prejudices here. 

39 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Oh come on, that's a funny story.  There was nothing vitriolic about my post.  

I get it, but stepping away from the computer and realizing the real threat we are facing right now, I don't really have much patience for shit that continues to divide us. We need someone - almost anyone - to beat Trump and try to save this country from almost certain ruin. I want to see shit like b_t posts that actually help grow Bernie's image and make him more approachable and electable. The anecdote you provided just gives more fodder for trolls.

i have a great sense of humor, darker than fuck, but even that stops with the bullshit the Republicans and their orange god are dishing out on a daily basis.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I guess I'm not understanding what the point of including the "43 billion dollars" is.   

Disclaimer: I worked for Origin Systems for three years in the 90s, so I might not without prejudices here. 

It's either a disingenuous Tweet or a stupid Tweet. Either they tried to conflate the two (revenue and profit) or they don't know the difference. It was probably a staffer, so it's not really a big deal, but they should either correct it or take it down (narrator: they won't). It shows the same grasp of finance and accounting that Bernie's plan to pay for M4A does, where it actually puts more money in the hands of corporations than the people it purports to help.

Edited by BradInATX

She wasn't even asking a  question, she was just making statements as an undisclosed Biden surrogate. The guy asked him a question about 2 seconds later, so that's not exactly "shutting down follow up questions from the media".

What a shock that Hugo would be a disingenuous concern troll about this.