2024 NASCAR thread

Scraps

Good video, esp from about 28 min to 42 min. Seems to align a lot with what I posted above. Especially striking to me is where he talks about the cars being able to run 195-200 but are running as slowly as 175 in those big packs, because everyone just keeps going slower and slower, happy to save fuel and afraid to get out of line.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 8:55 AM, Scraps said:

Denny said on his podcast they need to alter the spoilers on these new cars because of the drag.  He talked about the cars and style in depth in this weeks podcast, so even if you hate him it is worth a listen just to hear his thoughts on it.  

Need to get Denny to watch this and give his thoughts

Posted (edited)

I've been working on a project for a friend that has a big-chunk of NASCAR-related stuff in it, mostly covering the early 80s through around 2010, and holy shit, until NASCAR got serious about electronic timing in 1993, there's a lot of missing info about races (lead changes, positions outside of the top 20, etc.).  They relied on the teams themselves appointing somebody to tally laps and/or how the drivers were doing, which means a lot of older data is missing (or rather misplaced) for one reason or another.  It's out there though, and I've noticed over time they put more and more online (or indivdiausl do).  if you could get access to the original camera feeds of a race (not what we saw on TV), you could put a lot of the info together.

And a whole lot of people who were recording races on their VCRs in the 80s and 90s have uploaded hundreds of races to YouTube which is awesome and has helped me out with some stuff (I have several dozen races on VHS myself, but not nearly as good of a quality as some folks).  What's really awesome is the kids whose parents had satellite dishes and who have uploaded the raw satellite feeds to YouTube - hearing (and seeing) Chris Economaki, Ken Squier, Neil Bennett, Bob Jenkins, Jerry Punch, etc. farting around before the race and doing microphone checks with drivers in the cars, or rehearsing how they were going to start a segment off, etc., can be amusing.

I setup a couple of saved video lists on YouTube, and my son noticed the Davey Allison one, and saw some Alan Kulwiki stuff in there, and made the connection to my large collection of Allison and Kulwiki die cast cars, programs, posters, photos, and a few personal autographs and a bunch of other racing-related stuff as well (and later Havoline racing drivers gear/memorabilia along with Indy/CART/F1/touring car/etc.).

He saw some of the video names mentioned memorials to Davey and Alan and asked me if they were dead and commented that I must have liked them a lot to have all of that stuff.  We watched a few race highlights, and then watched Slapshoes's 1992 Atlanta tribute and he told me he that they were pretty cool.

Me, I was just...

Sad Vince Mcmahon GIF by namslam

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I’m pretty biased right now because over the past few months I was party bedridden, and like I said, I’m working on a project for a friend, and so I’ve watched dozens of races from the 80s and early/mid 90s.

Kenny is talking about fans of the 90s drifting away from NASCAR, and that it’s about the drivers/personalities. He’s got some good points, and it’s a good point about Chase Elliott as the last of the bloodlines (that’s successful) but NASCAR shares some blame (it’s been rehashed on Surly and even back on Shaggy).  Kenny is glossing over the Car of Tomorrow, the championship changes, NASCAR letting the development pipeline get turbofucked for several years by the Kevin Harvicks and others who were racing Cup full time while dipping down and racing the lower levels and crowding out drivers who should have working their way up towards the Cup series, etc. and he’s ignoring things like Formula 1 being on the rise in the US (thanks to Netflix).

I think his comments are tainted by him about to interview Kyle Busch as well (who said the fans left because the old school drivers are gone).

70F too warm? Maybe Saturday attendance just isn't a big thing for NASCAR the way it is in sportscar and other racing. This is nuts. There might be 5K people out there if they're lucky. Brutal for NASCAR and ISC.

And yeah, definitely. Go SVG!!

70 deg f is great weather. Just don't think Austin is a area full of nascar fans. It's a bad showing for nascar. I've never thought California, Austin and Iowa are hot beds for auto racing. Think nascar needs to scale back number of races

4 hours ago, wood said:

70F too warm? Maybe Saturday attendance just isn't a big thing for NASCAR the way it is in sportscar and other racing. This is nuts. There might be 5K people out there if they're lucky. Brutal for NASCAR and ISC.

And yeah, definitely. Go SVG!!

Wanted to take my oldest kid, but we could have only made the truck race and I wasn’t paying $150 for that when he’s not that interested (and I’m definitely not that interested).  I was shocked at the number of seats available.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 9:05 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Wanted to take my oldest kid, but we could have only made the truck race and I wasn’t paying $150 for that when he’s not that interested (and I’m definitely not that interested).  I was shocked at the number of seats available.  

Got free tickets from a friend who also got them for free and decided not to go. NASCAR provided free parking in lots F and H. Everyone was waiting in line for lot F and we just cruised right passed 'em and rolled right into lot H all alone. So that was cool. Race was pretty unremarkable. The stages really kill much chance for strategy to have any effect on the order at a road circuit (and maybe anywhere, I guess). We left with 20 to go and were ordering burgers near the house by the time the race ended. And yeah, Pretty small crowd. Maybe 25K ish, despite NASCAR doing a good job running the show (and about 2000 of those people entered with tickets donated to Del Valle school district employees). I'm not sure the NASCAR crowd and Austin are a good fit. I'm one of the people who said NASCAR would be great racing at COTA. I gotta say I swung and missed on that call. It's not great, for some reason.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wood said:

Got free tickets from a friend who also got them for free and decided not to go. NASCAR provided free parking in lots F and H. Everyone was waiting in line for lot F and we just cruised right passed 'em and rolled right into lot H all alone. So that was cool. Race was pretty unremarkable. The stages really kill much chance for strategy to have any effect on the order at a road circuit (and maybe anywhere, I guess). We left with 20 to go and were ordering burgers near the house by the time the race ended. And yeah, Pretty small crowd. Maybe 25K ish, despite NASCAR doing a good job running the show (and about 2000 of those people entered with tickets donated to Del Valle school district employees). I'm not sure the NASCAR crowd and Austin are a good fit. I'm one of the people who said NASCAR would be great racing at COTA. I gotta say I swung and missed on that call. It's not great, for some reason.

I went the first year and it was very crowded.  Not as big as an F1 weekend but still quite busy.  The rain all weekend was a drag but folks hung in pretty well.  I talked to a lot of NASCAR die-hards that seemed to enjoy the weekend.  As you say, it's a well-run event from the NASCAR side, so I guess I'm surprised that the attendance/interest fell off so fast.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I went the first year and it was very crowded.  Not as big as an F1 weekend but still quite busy.  The rain all weekend was a drag but folks hung in pretty well.  I talked to a lot of NASCAR die-hards that seemed to enjoy the weekend.  As you say, it's a well-run event from the NASCAR side, so I guess I'm surprised that the attendance/interest fell off so fast.   

Yeah I was out there for that one too. It's crazy how the crowd has dropped off year by year after that.

Posted (edited)

I turned it on to find that it had already ended yesterday, does that count?

I think tickets were something like $10 for kids, but $79 for adults for Sunday. I knew about free parking, but I don't want to drop $100 on something I don't really care about just to go experience it. A free ticket or $20? Yeah, would have checked it out.

I did watch either last year or the year before on TV and it was just bad racing. After watching F1 cars on the track, Nascar looks like driving school busses. I also loathe the stage racing. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve been listening to Dale Jr’s podcast after coming across some interviews relevant to my interests, and finished one and it rolled into the Jeremy Mayfield interview.

I was vaguely aware of it when all of the shit went down, but hearing that the main charges were dropped, that cops were trying to plant meth in his house, and that a nationally known lab drug tested Mayfield immediately after the NASCAR test he failed and he was negative, and that the combination of medications he was taking could produce a 15% false positive and everything else, holy shit. I never cared about him but NASCAR seems to have had it in for him.

I found it interesting that NASCAR eventually dropped the guy whose company kept saying Mayfield was testing positive for meth (especially in amounts that would kill a person) and got another drug testing lab.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1