Hungary seems like it sucks

Neonmoon

https://apnews.com/article/european-union-hungary-sovereignty-law-democracy-funds-f0024283a6bf6f4bc78b567f59d8e3ee

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union on Wednesday launched legal action against Hungary’s right-wing government over a new law that allows authorities to investigate and prosecute people accused of undermining the country’s sovereignty.

The “ sovereignty protection act " took effect in December. It created a government authority with the power to gather information on any groups or individuals that benefit from foreign funding and influence public debate. Hungary’s secret services can assist in the authority’s investigations.

The law allows prison terms of up to three years for anyone convicted of violating it. Opponents compare the act to Russia’s “foreign agent” law. They say its broad language can be used to arbitrarily target government critics.

The European Commission, which monitors the application of legislation across the 27 EU member countries, said Hungary’s measure “violates several provisions” of the bloc’s law and that it sent a letter of formal notice to Budapest, the first step in legal action.

ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the first step in kicking Hungary to the curb? Since Orban is basically a dictator now

• Hook 'Em 1

It created a government authority with the power to gather information on any groups or individuals that benefit from foreign funding and influence public debate.

Maybe they should start by investigating Orban and the Fidesz Party.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been an busy week in Budapest. Orban ally and president Katalin Novak resigned, along with an MP (former Justice Member) and a reformed bishop over their roles in pardoning a man convicted for abetting sexual abuse. He has covered up a string of incidents that occurred at a state-run orphanage. 

That culminated in protests of over 50K on Friday night (below), calling for the end of Orban.  Today Orban gave a long state of the union speech behind barricades; more protests scheduled for Wednesday.  Orban announced that Sweden’s NATO membership will go forward (read: I have real problems at home and need to unwind some of my foreign fights). 

It always ends up being sexual shit with these assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Orban announced that Sweden’s NATO membership will go forward (read: I have real problems at home and need to unwind some of my foreign fights). 

Yep. When this happened it was quite obvious he was throwing the EU a bone because he knew he was losing ground. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Loved my time in Budapest. One of my favorite Euro cities. Had a few conversations with locals that warned us not to take our freedoms for granted. We reminded them we lived in Texas. 

had a similar interaction in Prague. Didn't make it to Budapest - will add it back to the list when shit straightens out over there (and here).

This is interesting....

BEIJING, Feb 19 (Reuters) - China offered to support long-time strategic partner Hungary on public security issues, going beyond trade and investment relations, during a rare meeting with Prime Minister Viktor Orban, just as NATO struggles to expand its network in Europe.
China hopes to deepen law enforcement and security ties with Hungary as the two mark their 75th year of diplomatic relations, Public Security Minister Wang Xiaohong told Orban last week, the official Xinhua news agency said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/unusual-move-china-offers-back-hungary-security-matters-2024-02-19/

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:44 PM, 4th&Five said:

Loved my time in Budapest. One of my favorite Euro cities. Had a few conversations with locals that warned us not to take our freedoms for granted. We reminded them we lived in Texas. 

Yes, Texas. Where we're rushing as fast as humanly possible to give away our freedoms.