welcome to marwen

henrygandorf

• 5 months later...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/welcome-to-marwen-steve-carell-box-office-1203095464/

Estimated to lose $50m at the box office.   

From commercials, this movie looks like it would be a good, low budget movie that should be happy to bank 10m at the box office and perhaps pull in a few award nominations to bump up the total even more.  Or perhaps hope for some buzz that will take it much higher.    Instead it's a major studio movie that might need to earn >60m to just break even.  I guess a studio exec fell in love with a combination of Zemeckis and Carell.  

EDIT:  You know its a bad sign when a movie/tv forum exists on Surly and there is only 1 post about a movie release.  6 months before it was released.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

It’s hard to tell what it is about from the trailers. I like Steve Carrell and looked it up, apparently it is based on a well received doc called Marwencol that is.... only available through the iTunes Store. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t get that more widely distributed in advance of a full length movie being made out of it.

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

It’s hard to tell what it is about from the trailers. I like Steve Carrell and looked it up, apparently it is based on a well received doc called Marwencol that is.... only available through the iTunes Store. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t get that more widely distributed in advance of a full length movie being made out of it.

great point.  If you're the distributors of the movie, you would almost pay to have the documentary available on Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.   

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

though it looked sappy and lame the first time i saw the trailer.  now the reviews are in and it's getting destroyed. 

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/12/27/18156925/welcome-to-marwen-questions

I think the previews look bad. I've seen Carell promoting it on one of late night talk shows. He didn't change my impression. 

I think it looks mildly interesting but couldn’t imagine going to see it in a theater.  

I assume the movie costs were so high due special effects.  And that works for a transformer movie that will attract teenage boys to the theater.  Not so much for this movie for a guy dealing with his demons about getting nearly killed for wearing women’s clothes.

i applaud Hollywood for making unique films but just tell a story with minimal special effects.