Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Posted (edited)

South Carolina just won the women’s college basketball championship

I feel good about our chances this year

Spoiler

Their only other 2 championships were in 2017 and 2022.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Forrest Whitley made his season debut today in Sugar Land. Threw 17 pitches and touched 98.6 mph with his sinker. He gave up a home run to the first batter he faced, but retired the next three.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

G dammit.

pulling the Dusty trope of batting a backup where the regular guy normally bats 

You can’t have abreu or singelton hitting 8 or 9, if yordan is hitting 2nd, imo 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:
13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

You can’t have abreu or singelton hitting 8 or 9, if yordan is hitting 2nd, imo 

Sure you can

You can, but your potential table setting is fucked.  I get wanting a guy to get an extra AB before the shittiest guy gets another, but that's 1 AB, the rest of the ABs I think you want to try and get runners on before the top of the lineup.  Obviously you don't put your next best bats down there, but I've always preferred hiding a guy at 6 or 7 than 9

39 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

G dammit.

pulling the Dusty trope of batting a backup where the regular guy normally bats 

Tuve runs into an out, Bregman pops out,  and Singleton Ks looking. McCormick leads off. Makes perfect sense….CFFD9D56-CF21-4BA5-A3C0-1AD446A652D6.gif.8973135d9b6d22e35d9215419591cf0f.gif

8 and 9 need to be setting the table for altuve and yordan 
Well that will never happen with this roster

I would much rather my 6 hole hitter have the ability to actually drive in people who are on base.

1B can just fuck off in 8th and get their automatic out out of the way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Astros are adding Caleb Nunes, formerly Triple-A Sugar Land's bullpen catcher, as a major-league bullpen catcher starting Monday. Catching coach Michael Collins, who'd been in the bullpen and catching previously, has moved to the dugout to help Yainer Diaz and Victor Caratini

10 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

It’d be nice if Bregman started hitting again.

IMO, he will never be an real offensive threat again. The last few years he's been meh, and I don't see him getting any better.