Password manager

Did a search and didn't find this topic. What is the best password manager out there for just a regular user? Trying to remember everything is crazy and now some sites want you to change passwords on a regular basis. I'm ready to just use a program to handle them all. The two I see recommended most often is 1password, which has a small fee, and Bitwarden, which is free for an individual. It's Mrs. Mo and I, so we might need to go with a family one, or can we each just get our own even though we have many accounts/sites in common? Thanks in advance. 

I use the paid $10 a year Bitwarden and it works across computer, phone, and other devices. Pretty intuitive and easy to use imo. I don't recall all the benefits of the paid version but I think it monitors your info for fraud and what not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Obviously I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this, so dumb question amnesty please. On Bitwarden when it says I can share my vault with one other person does that mean that I can share it with Mrs. Mo and we both can use the free account, or does she need to have her own account? 

Posted (edited)

Bitwarden seems to be the go-to right now for most people I know that use one. I've heard good things about Nordpass as well, though as far as the free versions go Bitwarden is more robust on features.

Edited by NCMountaineer

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Obviously I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this, so dumb question amnesty please. On Bitwarden when it says I can share my vault with one other person does that mean that I can share it with Mrs. Mo and we both can use the free account, or does she need to have her own account? 

Just give her your login.  That's what we do.  I think they mean if you are going to share it with a child.  So they'll have their own acct.  Could be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

You can share it. My brother and I who run our family business use it so we can share access to various online banking and business accounts. As someone downthread mentioned, you can also just share a login which might be simpler if you're starting from scratch. My brother and I had separate accounts that we had to merge which I recall wasn't the most intuitive process. So just sharing a login might be the easiest approach. That assumes of course you don't mind her having full access to any account you add to Bitwarden and vice versa. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:52 AM, Mo Horn said:

IMO it's best to each have an account. One creates the organization and the invites the other account to join. Make then a super admin. You then can have personal as well as shared items. You also each get 2FA ability individually.

For future estate planning it makes much easier to eventually add another user, say kid or someone. With everyone having electronic account with banks, investments etc it's a huge saver in case tragedy strikes that the estate has easier access to where everything is. They just need way to access your BitWarden.

• Hook 'Em 2

We use 1Password.  Has worked well for us for three years or so. 

App for the mobile devices and plug-in for browser.  Easy to share specific logins with other family members.  Can auto populate credit card numbers in a couple clicks of the mouse. 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:06 PM, blacklab said:

We use keepersecurity at work and I really like it.

DO NOT USE LASTPASS. They had a breach and lied their asses off about it and tried to cover it up.

Ha I was wondering why my company just switched from Lastpass to Keeper 

Posted (edited)

On Bitwarden, I probably should have stated up front that I only have an android phone and tablet. I do not have a laptop. Only a work one that I cannot add programs or extensions to. It looks like it's not possible to use just the mobile app and you have to have the browser extension to make it work. It won't let me download that on my android. Am I missing something? Or maybe I just need to use a different web browser. Suggestions?

Edited by Mo Horn

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

On Bitwarden, I probably should have stated up front that I only have an android phone and tablet. I do not have a laptop. Only a work one that I cannot add programs or extensions to. It looks like it's not possible to use just the mobile app and you have to have the browser extension to make it work. It won't let me download that on my android. Am I missing something? Or maybe I just need to use a different web browser. Suggestions?

Tell you what... one of the things I love about Firefox is that the extensions you install on your PC are the same ones you get on mobile. Bitwarden, ublock origin, etc

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:17 PM, Post Oak said:

I like 1password.  So far so good . 

So after playing around with Bitwarden I don't think it's going to work with me because of the need to do an extension in Chrome, and the fact that I only have android devices and switching to another browser causes other issues. So I'm going to look at 1password. Do you use the app on an android or apple? If so, any issues or things I need to be aware of? 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm an Android user with Bitwarden, it's works for me. Just have the Bitwarden app installed. Check under settings that AutoFill is on.

When Im using chrome and pull up site looking for credentials, above keyboard I'll get Bitwarden log to fill or click if vault is locked. I use fingerprint to unlock and select item to fill.

Link for info: https://bitwarden.com/help/auto-fill-android/

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1