Glass - Unbreakable/Split sequel

Red Five

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think you, and many others on this thread, are people that enjoy a slow psychological thriller, especially in the classic Hitchcock sense. It’s not for everyone. I get it.

Uh, no. I love a good psychological thriller.  This movie was not that.

Critics also love “slow psychological thrillers in the Hitchcock sense”, and given the 42 aggregate score it currently has on Metacritic, it’s pretty evidently not that.  

This movie doesn’t even come close to sniffing Hitchcock’s jock.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, Neonmoon said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I could watch McAvoy play the Horde all day long. He should get an Oscar nomination for how exhausting this role must be. 

It is not a action movie whatsoever, but the movie is really well done. It is a great entry into this Universe. 

If he doesn't even get a Golden Globe mention next year it'll be travesty.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

I enjoyed it as well.  They're so much subtle stuff Night is doing with colors and blocking and camera to make it looks a lot like an ole fashioned comic book tale.  Would have enjoyed a bit more fighting in the end but who knows if ole man Willis could have kept it up.  McAvoy again steals the movie, but I liked all the plot line progressing and resolving into one.  It's not a Sixth Sense sort of "twist".  You can pretty much see it a thousand yards away but it doesn't make it any less interesting to see it go down.  Not as good as the first two, but pretty close.

I felt like there were 2 twists...the first one wasn't great and you saw it coming, obviously...and if it ended there I wouldn't have liked it as much as I did.  The final "twist", if you could call it that, actually helped me enjoy it more.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, XYZ said:

I liked it OK. Paulson was annoying. 

I just don't get her.  Some people talk about her being so great, and I think she's okay at acting...but her mouth and lisp thing is just annoying as hell.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, seven said:

I have been a huge McAvoy fan since atonement 

Same.  Actually I even liked him the first time I saw him in that SyFy treatment of Children of Dune.  And in Chronicles of Narnia.

23 hours ago, DougO said:

I never even knew there was a middle one until a week or two ago. Did it suck?

No it was really good.  Some would even say the best of the trilogy.  McAvoy was fucking great in it too.

I didn't like it.  And that's coming from someone who has liked all of his movies - even Signs, and The Happening.  There.  I said it.

I liked Signs because of the score and the similarities to early Twilight Zone episodes.  Pretty much every Twilight Zone episode could be picked apart per the plot, so that aspect didn't bother me as much as most of y'all.  

The Happening was stupid as hell but, A) I thought the suicides were cool and B) It did have a couple of genuinely spooky scenes (between the laughs).

I didn't understand what was going on in some of the scenes which distracted me.  For example, did Casey have a power or not?  What kind of stupid ass sense does it make to convince a person with superhuman powers that he/she doesn't have superhuman powers?  And Mr. Glass - the smartest person in the world - comes up with a plan in which they all die?  Really?  The only way to get word out that there are super heroes among us is to set up an elaborate hoax using a bunch of security cameras and a computer program?  

I just thought the plot could have been much cleaner and made a little more sense.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

46 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

And Mr. Glass - the smartest person in the world - comes up with a plan in which they all die?  Really?  The only way to get word out that there are super heroes among us is to set up an elaborate hoax using a bunch of security cameras and a computer program?  

That’s probably what somebody upthread referred to as getting “Shyamalan’ed”

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I didn't like it.  And that's coming from someone who has liked all of his movies - even Signs, and The Happening.  There.  I said it.

I liked Signs because of the score and the similarities to early Twilight Zone episodes.  Pretty much every Twilight Zone episode could be picked apart per the plot, so that aspect didn't bother me as much as most of y'all.  

The Happening was stupid as hell but, A) I thought the suicides were cool and B) It did have a couple of genuinely spooky scenes (between the laughs).

I didn't understand what was going on in some of the scenes which distracted me.  For example, did Casey have a power or not?  What kind of stupid ass sense does it make to convince a person with superhuman powers that he/she doesn't have superhuman powers?  And Mr. Glass - the smartest person in the world - comes up with a plan in which they all die?  Really?  The only way to get word out that there are super heroes among us is to set up an elaborate hoax using a bunch of security cameras and a computer program?  

I just thought the plot could have been much cleaner and made a little more sense.

Spoiler

Casey has no special powers other than she's incredibly empathetic and brave and her experience in Split has empowered her.  She figures out KWC comes from a shitty upbringing and has seen only pain and ugliness after his father's death.  She gives KWC genuine friendship and kindness which empowers him to stay in the light.

Dr. Staple is part of a secret society (marks of a shamrock) who prefers to keep mankind in the dark of the extraordinary which may live inside some of them because they feel it actually damages society leaving a huge ripple of effect of destruction as there is always a counter balance (a light and a dark).  Thus, they come to the conclusion the best alternative is simply not to have humans access or be aware of their special or extraordinary powers and therefore not risk the rise of supervillains and superheroes (Think about the cinematic Joker made the Batman and vice versa).  This is a theme which inherent in many comic book tales -- secret societies, battle of good vs evil, balancing effects of the creation of one (hero) gives rise to the other (villain) or vice versa, trying to control or stamp out people with superpowers (It's the entire undercurrent in X-men), etc, etc.

That's not Glass' primary goal.  His primary goal is to allow society to realize that superhumans walk among them.  It's core to his personality.  The entire plot to Unbreakable centers around justifying his place in the world and therefore finding a "superhero", if you will, so he can contextualize his place and actions.  The next logical step is to try and illuminate society about his powers and others like him.  His true plan is to release the Beast vs David in the opening of the building as a coming out party of super people.  However, he is legitimately thwarted by David's son and Dr. Staple and the battle happens on the grounds of the psych hospital.  Like any true mastermind, he has a backup plan if he were to be killed or stopped and that's to download all the footage and release it to the public which the 3 loved ones do at the end of the movie.  Mr. Glass wins, even in death, as he accomplishes his goal with a solid plan B.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:04 AM, Captain Ron said:

So in. Loved Unbreakable. MKS found his magic again with Split.

Split is worth it for McAvoy alone. The guy is freaking amazing in that film.

Saw Glass this past weekend.  Not a bad movie, but didn't bowl me over.

Now that McAvoy dude?  Yeah, that's some Heath Ledger/Joker level acting.

Holy fuck the dude is talented.

• 3 months later...