Road trip recs Nashville to NC, SC, Georgia

Orale

I have a couple weeks to kill and booked an 11 day trip arriving in Nashville May 20th and returning from Atlanta the 31st. Other than visits to Nashville and a SC beach town years ago, I haven't spent any time in this part of the country, so I'd appreciate any recommendations. I created a basic itinerary below, but my route is very flexible. 

I enjoy scenic drives, historic sites, and interesting places like the big universities, Augusta golf course, cool museums, etc... I'm for sure driving through the mountains a couple days, the triangle towns, Charleston, and Savannah. I'm big into hiking, but I'm going to save anything more than a couple day hikes for a future visit. I've done Nashville, so it's just a convenient starting point for an evening flight and morning drive to Knoxville which is supposed to be scenic. I put the route from Raleigh to Charleston along the coast as a placeholder, but I don't mind skipping the coast for an inland route if it has scenic or other appeal.

I know 11 days isn't much time to see all of these places. But I'm fine with brief stops so that I can cover as much territory as possible and see what's worth a longer future visit. Gracias.

Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 6.54.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 7.10.26 AM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Little detour to visit Chimney Rock and Lake Lure in NC is recommended.  I have found nothing of interest in Greensboro.  Charleston is worthy of a 2 to 3 day stay.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

This is a good road trip.  A lot of my favorite American cities, Savannah and Charleston especially. Athens is a lot of fun too.  If it was me I'd head from Knoxville to Asheville.  It doesn't take you too far off your route and I think it's worth it.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1

Savannah is very pretty and historic.

Augusta is a dump.

Athens is a fairly cookie cutter college town. Unfortunately UGA is there.

Atlanta is like a greener, prettier Dallas. Very spread out.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Atlanta is like a greener, prettier Dallas. Very spread out.

Pretty much this.  And a larger Black population.  I've only been to Atlanta once, but remember looking around in restaurants and bars and realizing how white places like Dallas and Austin are.

I have fond memories of the North Carolina coast, having lived there about half of my childhood.  Jacksonville, outside the Marine Corps base where I lived, is a shithole.  But I always remember Wilmington being a cool beach town and think it would be worth checking out.

Spent a couple of weeks in Cashiers, NC during peak COVID.  I’m not a big hiker, but if you are that would probably be right up your alley.  3 days in Charleston.  Eat yourself to death and walk off the calories South of Broad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You are skipping the best part of NC to stay in Greensboro? Wtf

I've only been to Greensboro once, and it was in 1994 when I lived in Raleigh.  Maybe a lot has changed since then, but it didn't seem to me as a place worthy of a road trip stop outside of a restroom break and a quick lunch.