Lost Phone Found Phone

I lost my phone Tuesday on a mountain bike trial.  I had a good idea where it was lost, but it was about 1.5 miles and I didn't see it "retracing my steps."

So, I file a lost claim and pay deductible.  Get new phone.  Shortly after receiving new phone, I get a call that someone found my old one, unscathed.

To my surprise, Asurion/Sprint will let me send the new one back and give me a  refund once received.  HOWEVER, they will not reactivate my old phone until it is received, plus a lag time.  So like a week without fone.

I'm thinking maybe I buy a burner phone and forward calls from my number to it until the old phone gets activated.  The deductible is $225.

Anyone see any problems with this plan?

I guess not, but next time:

Android?  If your phone shows location, just put "find my phone" in Google address bar and it'll pop up on a map.  if you have a Google account, which you should if for nothing else this reason.  I've found mine 3 times using it.  Works great.

• Like 1

This was in the woods, it's not that precise and I didn't have another device to go with me in the woods.

I guess what I am wondering is, if there is no phone activated on the line, will I be able to receive forwarded calls?  Cuz I think there will be a period where that is the case.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I dunno, I've used it to find my phone on trails etc.  It's pretty good, probably 50 feet any direction.  Unless you've driven 50 miles to the trail, I've had to go home (up to about 5 miles) and look for it on my device, it was still a lot faster than me hunting/pecking,  Anyway, it works.

As for voice mail, your account isn't inactive, right?  So yeah, you'll get forwarded calls, can probably dial into voice mailbox or use a computer or whatever. I know I can anyway.

Edited by phdhorn

Ah fuck it. I'm keeping the replacement and eating the deductible.  The original phone was "unlocked" and had a bit of weirdness to it as a result.  The replacement has bloatware easily uninstalled and actually more space on it.  The call volume, both in and out, is better on the new one.  Weird.

Sounds like you made the right decision to keep the new phone without the bugs for $225 rather than play grab-ass for a week and deal with the return.

The Find-My-Phone deal makes me laugh - CSB/  Several years ago we were hunting near Willow City on Hwy 16.  Couldn't find my phone and assumed I'd lost it in town.  Search all over the cabin, retraced my steps from that day looking around every blind/feeder I'd been - no luck.  Drove to Cooper, Miillers, and the feed store where I'd also been asking if anything had been turned in.  Nada.

Remembered the phone-find deal, got my laptop and found an open wifi signal at the grocery store.  Logged in and watched as it narrowed down the scope ......to the parking lot where I was.  Damn phone was wedged under my own seat in the truck and had been with me on that whole escapade.  Felt like a dumbass (was a dumbass) but had my phone.

sometimes when a phone is lost, asurion does not flag it as such.

my daughter had her phone stolen on the beach in san diego.  we filed a claim and she was sent a new one when we arrived home in austin.  i kept an eye out on the phone because i was pissed that some asshole would steal a phone from a 12 year old girl from her bag on the beach when she went for a swim in the water.  long story short, 1.5 week later, some dude "found" the phone in a park across from his house when my brother, who lives in san diego, and the park ranger showed up at the dudes house.  dude had stole it from a state beach park, hence the park ranger.

anyway, asurion never flagged the phone as lost.  it was never blacklisted.