Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

1 minute ago, shnsajax said:

Ajax have been the better team. A 2nd goal would be huge going away next match, but it didn't matter going into Madrid either. Still not a trend I want to have to continue. 

Juve annoys me. They just sit back and wait for Ronaldo to score. Then sit back more.

Yeah, Lingard got screwed there.  

Barca doesn't seem to be clear regarding how they want to attack Man U when Barca has the ball.  I can't pick out any strategy that they have while attacking other than pass it to the first open person you see without any clear strategy for the next pass or further down the line.

It looked pretty evident for the middle part of the game that ManU hadn’t played in 8 days and Barca finished off Atlético on Saturday and had to travel.  I think ManU will come out gang busters again next Tuesday, but after the 10th minute the Barca passes will be pinging sharply.   Their legs will tire quickly and it will look similar to 2009 and 2011.

7 hours ago, Bodowned said:

Frankly, it doesn't matter. My original claim was essentially that Valverde is annoyingly conservative in his tactics & personnel choices with no shortage of talent on his roster and it leads to a lot of "control-based" play where they don't create the thrills we saw under Pep and Enrique. It looks like Man U have lost some of their juice and aren't pressing here post-60th minute mark, so I imagine Barca is going to be able to slide in between the lines and create another goal here before it's over.

Fair enough. But acting like Man U was "dominant" at any point in that game is disingenuous. This is not a dominant performance any way you slice it. (And it's not like Barca played a very good game, either)

Screenshot-20190410-230423-Chrome.jpg

Barca looked collected and in control for mostly the entire match. You can cite shot discrepancy but ManU pissed away basically every chance they had.

And I agree with this take:

"Valverde is annoyingly conservative in his tactics & personnel choices with no shortage of talent on his roster and it leads to a lot of "control-based" play where they don't create the thrills we saw under Pep and Enrique."

There was a little too much drinking and dunking and not enough crosses or through balls. Still, feels like a game that should have ended 2-1 Barca so ManU didn't end up with an awful result all things equal.

Edited by ztejas

I do think Man U dominated the flow of the game in between minutes 15-60 when they were relentless with their high press. Barca were uncharacteristically flustered by it; Busquets was weirdly rattled by pressure and Arthur/Rakitic were largely invisible during that stretch. They managed to hunker down in the box to limit chances, but it was still weird to see. Luckily, Man U didn’t have the legs to keep up that press for 90 minutes.

the xG map just makes it look like an ugly game...which it certainly was. I should have watched Ajax/Juve in hindsight. I imagine Camp Nou will be a different story and will be a 2-0/3-1 type scoreline in Barca’s favor.

There's supposed to a change to the handball rule on June 1.

Previously, the handball law centred around the offence being a deliberate act. While that is still the case, there are now more exact examples of what should and should not be penalised for handball.

The IFAB now states that a handball is awarded if a player makes his body bigger with his arm, and it is automatically an offence if the arm is above shoulder height. It is now also clear that there is no handball offence if the ball deflects onto the arm, or if the ball hits a player who is using his arm for support.

A free kick or penalty will be awarded if:

- the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player's hand/arm
- a player gains control/possession of the ball after it touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
- the ball touches a player's hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
- the ball touches a player's hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

There is no offence if:

- the ball touches a player's hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
- the ball touches a player's hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
- if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
- If the goalkeeper attempts to "clear" (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a teammate but the "clearance" fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Still clear as mud.

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

the ball touches a player's hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near

Yeah. That seems to clear things up.

"Directly" (open to interpretation)

How close/near? (open to interpretation)

Edited by Cheeseweasel