Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

40 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Read this morning City and United cannot both play at home on the same night or on back-to-back nights. If they both draw at home for their first legs, United will be forced to play their first leg away due to their lower position in the table at the end of the 2018 season. 

That seems pragmatic. Can you imagine hosting 2 CL matches on the same day? The police force would be stretched pretty thin.

If it’s fixed, they did it properly. This draw is a pretty good approximation of what a seeded tourney would look like. Nothing wrong with that.  Better than Man City playing Barcelona in the quarters.

Which is why I’d be fine with them ranking the 16 teams and reranking them at 8 or whatever but how many years are we bitching about the fix...

It’s silly pretending like Barca isn’t gonna get that Uefalona love or “Ajax wouldn’t get fed to Madrid”

Just say we are ranking them and we’ll do it again next round.

Obviously I’m talking out my ass but at least this round looks just about right.
  • Like 1

You can see Chelsea and City just rocket up the chart when their current ownership group buys the clubs. Chelsea makes their first appearance around :55 and by 1:02 is in the top slot. City is on at 1:19 and is in the top 3 ten seconds later, they take the top spot at 1:55.

Speaking of City and Chelsea, we knew that Chelsea was facing a 2 window transfer ban, it looks like City is now also.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/manchester-city-set-to-be-given-two-window-transfer-ban-w5t5qxn99

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 1:02 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

Did lol at Blackburn and Leeds.

How the fuck was Inter spending that much in the late 90s and not winning anything? They were spending twice as much as the next club and didn't win the Serie A until 2006. 

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Kickbacks

#italia #serieA

I just read some about the 2006 scandal - but Inter wasn't one of the teams punished in that. 

Could you expound by what you mean by kickbacks? Or point me towards any good source material. 

I can't believe they were spending that much and not winning anything. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I just read some about the 2006 scandal - but Inter wasn't one of the teams punished in that. 

Could you expound by what you mean by kickbacks? Or point me towards any good source material. 

I can't believe they were spending that much and not winning anything. 

1) I don't have any actual information.

2) It is Italy.

3) Argentina is the Italy of the New World and their football federation was run like a mafia under Don Julio Grondona. (Can't list all of the mob activities, because I don't remember all of them and I didn't know about others, but despite bringing in ridiculous amounts of money and not paying much in wages, they always seemed to be in the red... right.)

4) There is a book about the world of Italian soccer business called "The Miracle of Castel di Sangro" that I only got part of the way through, but it tells the story of a small club that rises through the ranks and then gets tons of money to expand their stadium, yet for some reason that expansion never happens. (Or at least it hadn't by the time I stopped reading the book.) My guess is that it covers the disappearance of league funds that were supposed to go towards building out their stadium to compete in Serie B. (Don't think that they ever made it to Serie A.) 
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-miracle-of-castel-di-sangro-a-tale-of-passion-and-folly-in-the-heart-of-italy_joe-mcginniss/261005/

5) I think that the scandal in the late 2000s was regarding match fixing and ultimately saw Juventus being demoted to Serie B. Don't know about the 2006 scandal, but do know that Italy won the World Cup that year... with an Argentine in the starting lineup.

6) I know that Javier Zanetti went from a club in Argentina in ~1998 to Inter, there are also some all-time greats on the 1998-1999 roster, but if I'm reading Wikipedia correctly...

Inter had four different managers over the course of the 1998-1999 season alone! 
-Luigi Simoni
-Mircea Lucescu
-Luciano Castellini
-Roy Hodgson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998–99_Inter_Milan_season

Something tells me that there might have been a little unrest within the squad and/or the front office.

I was reading up on various mobsters from the 1920s & 1930s last night, so perhaps I'm letting those Italian stories affect my thinking, but any team that spends and spend and spends has some questions to answer. When it is an Italian team, well...

• Like 1

Inter spent a lot of cash in the 90s including buying Ronaldo from Barca and Vieri from Lazio to break the transfer records at the time.  The 90s were pretty impressive in Serie A with Juventus, Milán and Inter all throwing around a lot of cash.  

Back to this year, Dembele will now miss the quarters and Suarez is a question mark.  Coutinho will need to finally get off his ass.

11 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Inter spent a lot of cash in the 90s including buying Ronaldo from Barca and Vieri from Lazio to break the transfer records at the time.  The 90s were pretty impressive in Serie A with Juventus, Milán and Inter all throwing around a lot of cash.  

I know it wasn't the 90's, but when I think about the Milan team Liverpool beat in Istanbul...

That's an all-star roster:

Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Stam, Nesta, Gattuso (Rui Costa 112), Seedorf (Serginho 86), Pirlo, Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo (Tomasson 85).

Yeah,
2004-05 AC Milan has to be one of the top 3 rosters of all time.

I remember watching that with a buddy who was a big LFC fan and I would watch the games with him so Xabi Alonso became my favorite player because of those days.

I was sure that Milan team was going to win with ease. That was seriously a stacked team.

I do remember nearly shitting myself twice in Xabi Alonso’s missed pk/goal... we were pregnant and I had said if it was a boy I’d name him Xabi after that final miracle. We had a girl.

Although Xabi Alonso then went to Madrid my favorite team and in 2011 I stuck to it and named my boy Xabi.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah,

2004-05 AC Milan has to be one of the top 3 rosters of all time.

Cool game. Who are the other two?

98/99 Manchester United? (Gigs, Scholes, Beckham, Keane, Peter Schmeichael)

09/10 Barcelona? (Messi, Zlatan, Iniesta, Henry, Puyol, Xavi)

89/90 Milan? ( Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Maldini)

13 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I remember watching that with a buddy who was a big LFC fan and I would watch the games with him so Xabi Alonso became my favorite player because of those days.

I was sure that Milan team was going to win with ease. That was seriously a stacked team.

I do remember nearly shitting myself twice in Xabi Alonso’s missed pk/goal... we were pregnant and I had said if it was a boy I’d name him Xabi after that final miracle. We had a girl.

Although Xabi Alonso then went to Madrid my favorite team and in 2011 I stuck to it and named my boy Xabi.

LFC turned around and lost to that Milan team in the 07 final 2-1. Kaka had 10 goals in the CL that season. Pretty amazing. 

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Cool game. Who are the other two?

98/99 Manchester United? (Gigs, Scholes, Beckham, Keane, Peter Schmeichael)

09/10 Barcelona? (Messi, Zlatan, Iniesta, Henry, Puyol, Xavi)

89/90 Milan? ( Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Maldini)

07/08 Barcelona might have been even better in terms of "Hall of Fame" talent

Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Messi, Henry, Deco, Yaya

For me as much as I hate it it’s probably that 2009 Barça team...

Real Madrid always had galatico teams but it was always something holding them back.

The 2001-02 champions league team of Hierro, Roberto Carlos, Makelele, Luis Figo, Zizou, Raul, Morientes, with McManaman, Guti and st.iker as either aging or beginning their careers. That team shoulda dominated everything but like the 2017-8 and 15-16 teams it was a wobbly domestic performance followed by a UCL title

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Its almost that time again....hope liverpool jump out big on porto

City and spurs should be fun...
I expect barca to handle manu
Ajax vs juve will probably be most fun out of the 3 outside of LFC matches

Messi is in rare form right now. ManU might be in trouble. 

Interested to see whether Ronaldo plays the first leg or not. Agree that Ajax/Juventus is the tightest of the matchups. 

Pool should handle Porto but their midfield is still a concern. Wouldn't be totally shocked to see an upset there.

Oh and City should kick the shit out of Tottenham. Would be a head scratcher if they didn't tbh.

Edited by ztejas