Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

41 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't like it either but the argument would be that the other team has 120 minutes of homefield advantage vs 90.  I still think it should go to kicks though.

I'm fine with overtime, but it should be a neutral site goal in OT.

I think that after 90+ minutes of fighting back and forth, the home field advantage has kind of faded. Especially the familiarity with the size of the pitch, then proximity of things from the touch lines, the weather, the field condition... If you've made it to OT, you're hardly overwhelmed with being on the road and you''re no longer "adjusting" to the stadium & situation.

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

There is nothing gifted about that penalty. His arm wasn't against his body, it was thrown out for size, his back was turned for protection, but he saw the ball get shot. And the range far enough. That's a penalty.

I finally watched the highlights and agree completely.  If you spread your arms out to give yourself more blocking area, you can't cry for ball to arm.

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

I finally watched the highlights and agree completely.  If you spread your arms out to give yourself more blocking area, you can't cry for ball to arm.

ESPNFC guys thought that it was a penalty.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26153582

And the Bleacher Report article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823852-video-watch-marcus-rashfords-penalty-seal-manchester-uniteds-comeback-vs-psg

Edited by Napoleon

7 minutes ago, alincoln said:

United were fortunate to get the penalty but it wasn't an awful call by any means.  Kimpembe knew exactly what he was doing when he swung his arm out.

vv44uqmzqkk21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

100% Agree

If you've ever played the sport, you can spot that immediately. You get away with it in pickup games, you get away with it when you've got one ref and two line judges, but now that VAR has arrived, you won't necessarily get away with it anymore.

Just like when Dí Maria dove after having the ball cleanly stolen from him in the first minute of the match and then rolled around like he had been hacked down so that he would get future calls and perhaps draw a yellow or red card later in the game, this #3 knew exactly what he was doing with he flared out his chicken wing. From the moment he started turning away from the ball, he flared his arm out to make himself bigger, but turned away hoping to get away with "innocently" having his arm away from his body. I just love that PSG got fucked trying to use a little more gamesmanship. Fuck them!

And fuck this whiny bitch who kept complaining via social media.

tenor.gif

My biggest problem with VAR letting the referee know about it was that I don’t see it as a clear and obvious error - which I thought was the point of VAR.  

The shot was a desperation hoof from well outside the box that is sailing well high and wide of the goal.  The defender is a foot inside of the box and jumping across the shot.  Does he let his hand dangle?  Okay, sure.  I don’t think he knew too much about it especially since it was so far off target,  but I was kind of a shit defender anyway.  If the ball went anywhere near the target it would have been scooped up (presumably) by Buffon.  But instead it goes out for a corner - Man U is content and PSG try to get their head out of their ass.

In real time nobody - not fans, not commentators, not coaching staff, not substitutes, not any of the Man U players (although they are appealing for the corner) are going to the ref with any outrage.  Kimpembe even looks genuinely surprised (not some sort of Tim Duncan “who me?” bullshit) when the referee gets called.

If the ref called it immediately or the AR called him over and they called it on the field, I would have thought - that’s really  harsh, but whatever - Fuck PSG.  The fact that nobody knew anything about it suggests  it wasn’t some sort of clear and egregious error by the referee, but instead a game being refereed remotely. I just really don’t want this to turn into an NFL style reviews that just plain suck.  

That being said, at least more Qatari money will go to football instead of terrorism and Neymar will still have only found success as a fucking waiter, so alls well that ends well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

My view on the two penalties today is that they were justified.

1. He saw the kick and his arm was out enough as he turned his body.

2. Don’t pull on a guy’s jersey in the box, in front of the net.

1. I have no problem with the Man U penalty. And if VAR helps get defenders to hold their arms in close to them when they go to block a shot well then I am all for it.

2. I don't have a problem with the pull of the jersey call (for the same reason above, if it keeps defenders from doing it) but there are probably 10-15 more serious, holds, grabs, etc. that happen during almost every game that don't get called, and I don't like them rewarding an offensive player "diving" when they had no chance to come close to making a play on that cross

It's not a perfect system just crazy that both games came down to VAR decisions and hopefully it helps more than it hurts longer term with fewer and fewer issues as it gets used more. 

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What are we thinking today, Surly? 

Schalke seems dead but might tune in a bit to watch McKennie. 

I can see Juve coming up with 2 in regulation but feel they are going to need a clean sheet this afternoon. 

normally, i would say liverpool is toast with bayern being at home and them seemingly exploding every time they are in allianz.  however, this is not your normal bayern team.  they are much, much shittier. 

juve-athletico is going to be one of the more interesting matches in a while in my mind.  athletico traditionally plays the best lockdown defense in the world and with a 2-0 lead, i expect them to try and put up a deflector shield.  juve has a lot of offensive talent though.

just assuming city and barca get it done.  never know though.

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

juve-athletico is going to be one of the more interesting matches in a while in my mind.  athletico traditionally plays the best lockdown defense in the world and with a 2-0 lead, i expect them to try and put up a deflector shield.  juve has a lot of offensive talent though.

I agree and I'm excited to watch. Always hard betting against CR7 in the CL, but we'll see if he can create some magic with a different side. 

Talk about a huge legacy game if he's able to get them into the next round, though. 

On 3/6/2019 at 3:42 PM, MoJames said:

Ajax, Porto, manure, spurs advance

Next Week

Man City vs Schalke (3-2)

Juventus vs Madrid (0-2)

Bayern vs pool (0-0)

Barca vs Lyon (0-0)

My guesses. I doubt we have as much fun as last week with the only game I'd guess to provide excitement being Pool and Bayern.

I think the only Madrid team left in the competition gets a goal away and that one is done and dusted.

I don't know how Lyon or Schalke get past.