Program Investment

CastHorn

Maryland has paid analysts on both sides of the ball that assist the main staff with scouting and game planning. Texas does not. A&M has never been about shit and probably never will, but they sure as hell are giving it everything they have literally, to win ball games. When is Texas going to start functioning like they want to be an elite football program? We finally were able to obtain some quality control coaches but that’s after our previous coach was sent packing. The jury is still out on Herman but it’s no secret we settled on him quickly in fear he’d go to LSU and we’d face criticism for another long coaching search. Our OC is mediocre at best, why didn’t we go get the best guy available in the off season? We don’t have the winning attitude. UT is the most profitable program in collegiate sports yet we are outspent by 22 other programs. This isn’t money ball bitch. Can we please withdraw some cash from the burnt orange Vatican to attempt to win championships again? 

• Like 1

if you think money is the issue you have your head in your ass

Texas pays a consulting service to tell the coach when and when not to go for 2 on the PAT.....and the coach has ignored that data in the past

spending more money just makes you a bigger over paid pussy with more cool shit that looks stupid when you get your dick knocked in the dirt two years in a row by a program that probably spends less on football than Texas spends on womens basketball

• Like 2

It’s a cultural virus. Recruits choose Texas for the city and all that comes with it. They want the lifestyle that only Texas can offer. It’s the easy route. The players that will pour out their heart and soul in order to make the league are going elsewhere.

It’s why our players look like they’ve been half assing it in the gym and a school like Maryland with 2 and 3 star recruits is bigger and faster across the board.

The culture is why guys like Gary Patterson tell us to go fly a kite when the job opens up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dixie Normous said:

It’s a cultural virus. Recruits choose Texas for the city and all that comes with it. They want the lifestyle that only Texas can offer. It’s the easy route. The players that will pour out their heart and soul in order to make the league are going elsewhere.

It’s why our players look like they’ve been half assing it in the gym and a school like Maryland with 2 and 3 star recruits is bigger and faster across the board.

The culture is why guys like Gary Patterson tell us to go fly a kite when the job opens up.

Yeah, Austin is the only desirable  college town. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dixie Normous said:

You sound like fucking aggy. "dem lib tard tsip in austin ain't real men" We got our asses kicked because our coaching staff doesn't prepare the team.

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We’ve paid $5 million a year for 9 years of the worst fucking football imaginable in the history of this university.  Texas is more concerned with dildo marches these days than winning motherfucking football games.

maybe tom needs to bring in zach smith as a consultant

he will supply the dildos

You sound like fucking aggy. "dem lib tard tsip in austin ain't real men" We got our asses kicked because our coaching staff doesn't prepare the team.

Our players don’t hold themselves accountable. The coaches can only do so much. Strong and Herman did fine everywhere else they coached. Look at the size and speed of top 15 teams compared to our players. We’re physically outmatched. Anybody with a decent set of eyes can see that. That comes from a lack of effort in the offseason.

There’s no VY on the team forcing guys to work out on their own in the summer.

17 minutes ago, Dixie Normous said:

This is something that has crossed my mind. Either Austin is attracting a less desperate/hungry type of recruit or the perks of the city are distracting the players. It sounds stupid but when multiple coaches fail here you start blaming shit outside of their hands.

This is something that has crossed my mind. Either Austin is attracting a less desperate/hungry type of recruit or the perks of the city are distracting the players. It sounds stupid but when multiple coaches fail here you start blaming shit outside of their hands.

Yeah, I’m done blaming coaches. Unless you’re of the mind that there’s only like 5 good coaches out there in which case we might as well find new shit to do with our time on Saturdays.

OU has been good for decades because they attract guys with a chip on their shoulder. They show up from day 1 and outwork us. There ain’t shit to do in Norman. I’d like to hear what the level headed people around here attribute to their success? A neutral observer would think we have every inherent advantage over them but they’re the far better program this century.

17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Do you think a data analyst could tell Tom not to play Kyle fucking Porter or not to have Sam roll out BY DESIGN and have to throw across his body on 3rd and long? That might help. 

That sounds more like a job for the Madden Xbox Champion assuming he did not get blowed up in Jacksonville last week. 

28 minutes ago, Dixie Normous said:

Yeah, I’m done blaming coaches. Unless you’re of the mind that there’s only like 5 good coaches out there in which case we might as well find new shit to do with our time on Saturdays.

OU has been good for decades because they attract guys with a chip on their shoulder. They show up from day 1 and outwork us. There ain’t shit to do in Norman. I’d like to hear what the level headed people around here attribute to their success? A neutral observer would think we have every inherent advantage over them but they’re the far better program this century.

No, it's the coaches. We've hired the wrong ones. It's as simple as that.

I've honestly been spending a lot of time today trying to figure out what it is, exactly, that has led to the Texas Football Program becoming what it is today. This is a program that is obviously soft, clearly entitled, and frankly, appears to not really give that much of a shit about winning football games. There is a culture around the program of style over substance. And comparing Texas football to OU football is just comically one-sided. We are not in the same stratosphere with what they are doing in Norman.

I don't think it is as simple as "we hired the wrong coaches." There is something else at play here. Is it the city? Is it the school itself? A fan base of asshole whiny bitches who simply expect to be good? Are the recruiting services just overrating Texas talent? High school coaches coddling these athletes? The fucking Longhorn Network? What is it, exactly, that causes a program like Texas to lose games to underdog teams like Maryland? Or Cal? Or BYU? Or Arkansas? UCLA? NC State? Rice? Fucking Kansas?? 

I have had multiple people ask me today, how does this keep happening? I really wish I could point to one thing and say "this is the reason" but I can't. All I know is, it goes deeper than one fucking Head Coach or a shitty OC. Because it keeps happening year after year after shitty, disappointing year.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I've honestly been spending a lot of time today trying to figure out what it is, exactly, that has led to the Texas Football Program becoming what it is today. This is a program that is obviously soft, clearly entitled, and frankly, appears to not really give that much of a shit about winning football games. There is a culture around the program of style over substance. And comparing Texas football to OU football is just comically one-sided. We are not in the same stratosphere with what they are doing in Norman.

I don't think it is as simple as "we hired the wrong coaches." There is something else at play here. Is it the city? Is it the school itself? A fan base of asshole whiny bitches who simply expect to be good? Are the recruiting services just overrating Texas talent? High school coaches coddling these athletes? The fucking Longhorn Network? What is it, exactly, that causes a program like Texas to lose games to underdog teams like Maryland? Or Cal? Or BYU? Or Arkansas? UCLA? NC State? Rice? Fucking Kansas?? 

I have had multiple people ask me today, how does this keep happening? I really wish I could point to one thing and say "this is the reason" but I can't. All I know is, it goes deeper than one fucking Head Coach or a shitty OC. Because it keeps happening year after year after shitty, disappointing year.

I think it's a lot of what you said in the first paragraph. I doubt it's the city, but it could be the school. It's important to have the chancellor, president, AD, and coaching staff on the same page. It's also important to have the big donors on the same page. As of now, I think our roster is one of the 20 best in the nation. I think coaches also tend to fail when they hire a bunch of their underwhelming buddies in the first place. See Charlie, Kliff, Rumlin, (probably) Herman etc.  

2 hours ago, Dixie Normous said:

So we are always going to lose until we physically move the school to a different city? Huh.

Also I question the notion Austin is the only place you can party away your college experience.

5 minutes ago, rantanamo said:

I say all the time, Texas doesn't care about football.  Unless we land another politician of a coach to excite the base, this will be a long haul.  I'm talking forever.

Why does the base need to be excited to win? What does that have to do with anything?

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

It's because of the coaches. We wandered the desert for 20 years before MB came here and changed things, primarily by winning a lot and mainly be ending the drought.  

We have hired 2 mid-major coaches for a job thats over their heads.  They comfort hire then panic when it doesn't work out and that translates to the team.   They don't have the reputation or experience to bring in guys with lots of experience if it means trading job security for more money but a questionable time frame.  

If we wander the desert for 25 more years a guy like Herman might work out because he may get 5-7 years to grow and learn.   Unfortunately we need a guy who gives zero fucks what anyone thinks but has the ability to turn it around quickly or the reputation to get the time they need.  

Edited by Treefidy

I don't buy that there's something structurally wrong other than not having enough good coaches and players. The extended success we saw under Mack is the exception rather than the rule for even the best programs. Winning is hard; the other teams are trying to win as well. Get more good players and get better coaches and the winning will return. That said, part of Saban's success has been using all of his resources.

3 hours ago, Dixie Normous said:

These kids cant even do the basic shit right on offense like lead a receiver with a pass to let the receiver get a running start.....Even a simple dump off pass.  That is coaching.  We need a coach that gets up in their grill for stupid simple shit they cant do right...That's what is missing.....Watch Saban on the sideline, the dudes not happy with screwups even when they are up by 50...The guys that work for him are constantly coaching and correcting the players on the sideline...

8 minutes ago, Ramdiesel said:

These kids cant even do the basic shit right on offense like lead a receiver with a pass to let the receiver get a running start.....Even a simple dump off pass.  That is coaching.  We need a coach that gets up in their grill for stupid simple shit they cant do right...That's what is missing.....Watch Saban on the sideline, the dudes not happy with screwups even when they are up by 50...The guys that work for him are constantly coaching and correcting the players on the sideline...

We make playing football look incredibly hard. 

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Do you think a data analyst could tell Tom not to play Kyle fucking Porter or not to have Sam roll out BY DESIGN and have to throw across his body on 3rd and long? That might help. 

When i saw Porter in at end of game with the game on line, I knew it was over. Why we refuse to put best players on the field is beyond me, and if he is the best we are screwed.

Also what kind of all star TE do you have to have to make that BS formation where the TE is off the line and split wide work? Because it seems never to when we run it.

Yeah, Austin is the only desirable  college town. 

Yeah, no one wants to play for The U in Miami. That place sucks.

I don’t buy this “Austin makes the team soft” bs.
Miami has a ton of distractions, but they always come motivated to push your shit in. It’s coaching—-plain and simple.

8 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I think it is much, much easier to maintain success at a healthy program than it is to pull a broken program out of the ditch.  Rebuilding a depleted offensive line appears to be particularly difficult as doing so requires a lot of time and hitting on large number of recruits, and having a shitty offensive line puts a tremendous strain on every other part of the team.  

Hiring a new head coach is also a crap shoot that is, beyond landing a talented coach, dependent on finding a good fit and having favorable luck while the program is still weak.  It’s just really hard to rebuild a program once things have gone sideways for too long. 

It’s not the players.  It’s the coaches personnel decisions and their game plan.  As soon as we found a recipe for success working in the offense, they go away from it.  What have Tim Beck, Drew Mehringer, Warhime, Meekins accomplished in their careers that suggest they should be coaching here?  We hired a bunch of fucking UH assistant coaches and a retread Shawn Watson redux I’m Tim Beck and we’re surprised that they can’t put together a gameplan that doesn’t fucking feature Kyle porter.  Fuck these coaches and Herman.  Aggy has the balls to go hire a proven coach, we keep hiring unproven idiots from mid level shitty programs.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It’s not the players.  It’s the coaches personnel decisions and their game plan.  As soon as we found a recipe for success working in the offense, they go away from it.  What have Tim Beck, Drew Mehringer, Warhime, Meekins accomplished in their careers that suggest they should be coaching here?  We hired a bunch of fucking UH assistant coaches and a retread Shawn Watson redux I’m Tim Beck and we’re surprised that they can’t put together a gameplan that doesn’t fucking feature Kyle porter.  Fuck these coaches and Herman.  Aggy has the balls to go hire a proven coach, we keep hiring unproven idiots from mid level shitty programs.

There's nothing worse than blaming the players for our continued shittiness.  This is a common tactic of the apologists, who put million dollar coaches on a pedestal  and instead lay blame at the feet of 19 year olds.  These kids have busted their ass for this program.  They've gotten up at 5:00 am for off season workouts for months, stretched their bodies to the absolute physical limits, endured "the pit," and burnt toast, and runs for missing water bottles, and alignment, and wrestling belts, and tons of  other ridiculous sophomoric bullshit, and for what?  For clowns like Watson and Strong and Beck and Herman to tell them they aren't tough enough and that they are too entitled and they need to learn how to be winners?  To be continually put in positions to lose by clowns who have no idea what they are doing?   The smart ones hung up their gear, transferred, or left early when they saw the emperors had no clothes.  I don't really blame them.  If it wasn't for the mad college pussy they are slaying, I would almost feel sorry for them.  

• Like 1