sell vehicle to salvage?

I have a 2007 Odyssey that needs probably $6000+ in repairs. 
It's fully driveable, but immediately needs two new tires, new fuel pump (leaking), front brakes and a front bumper replaced. 
That's estimated at about $1600 + whatever the bumper replacement would be. 

And in the near future will need a PS pump (?$) and AC compressor ($18-2500) - both leaking. 
Add to that a scratched up windshield , a non-opening sliding door, and some minor dents. 
It has 150k miles on it. 

A new-used car is not exactly in the budget at the moment, but I don't want to dump a few grand into it and still have a POS that needs to be replaced in a year or two anyway. 

KBB says the trade-in value in Fair (lowest) condition is $1200-2400. 

My options are to: 
1) put about $3k into it now to get it safe - expecting another ~3k in needed repairs in the next year or so. 
2) trade it in (assuming some dealership would take it as a trade-in)
3) sell it to an auto salvage

I assume that IF a dealership took it for trade-in - they'd likely sell it for salvage themselves. 
Which got me thinking I'd like to understand what the salvage value would even be. 
How do I go about determining that?  I mean obvious answer is just to call some places to see, but thought I'd check in if anybody had any experience or other advice.. 

It's never been in a major accident. The body damage is from minor, low speed incidents. I can deal with the cosmetic flaws, but the fuel pump leak promoted me to take it to a shop. They checked it over and gave me the estimates on the immediate, make it safe repairs, and the things on their last leg likely needing to be addressed soon. 

I trust the repair shop, more or less. 

I'm just looking at the repair costs vs even good condition resale and the needed repairs are more than it's worth. The drive train is still solid. If I sink 4 or so grand into it I think it would be a solid/safe vehicle for a couple more years. But it would still have a lot of flaws (that don't affect driveability); and with 150k miles on it not sure if that makes sense.  

Then Rock Auto Parts and You Tube  videos along with a $20 service manual. Even if mechanical skills are lacking those sources can walk you thru the process.

Price out the parts yourself and see how much the labor markup is at the shop. Might make you want to buy a $70 set of tools and learn new skills.

If it runs and drives it's not salvage. Trade it in or sell it on Craigslist. My mom's old Jaguar S-Type crapped out last year. Dead in the garage. I called some dude on Craigslist that buys junk cars. He showed up a few hours later and towed it away after handing me $200. He said they pull the wheels, and cats (maybe s coupe other parts) then send it on to the scrap yard for recycling.

Bernard

16 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

I ran it by Carmax and they appraised/offered $1600. So it's apparently worth something.. 

It's worth more than you think because there are people out there who have the time, tools and expertise needed to get your vehicle up to snuff for a whole lot less than you'd spend doing the same. They'll buy your car and fix it after hours with junkyard parts at the auto shop where they (or their brother, cousin, etc.) already work(s). Then they have a good ride at a sweet price. Win Win.

Bernard 

• 2 weeks later...

Sell it on Craigslist as is.  I sold a 2001 SUV for about $3,500 in less than 3 days.  Transmission was whining, a/c had a leak somewhere, cruise control was nonfunctioning.  Disclosed it all and had someone jump on it fast.  Carmax offered me $700, which prompted the Craigslist listing.

• Like 1