Bojack, Season 5 drops September 14th

Bojack

bump for new season dropping tomorrow.

also wanted to share this new yorker article on the origin of the show.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-origin-story-of-the-depressingly-good-bojack-horseman

i mentioned it on shaggy, but about 7-8 years ago, during the long stretch when i lived in a house in the hills (you've seen pictures) with a few other guys, one of our roommates sublet his room (actually the office attached to his room) for the summer to a buddy we didn't know.  that buddy was raphael.

from the article:

“I would say the beginnings of ‘BoJack’ actually came from when I first moved to L.A. and I was staying in a house that was, like, a friend of a friend’s, up in the Hollywood Hills,” he says. He rented the smallest room. “It was, like, four hundred dollars for this tiny tiny room in this beautiful house that actually looked a lot like BoJack’s does. And I remember looking out over the city and feeling simultaneously on top of the world and also never more isolated or alone.” Bob-Waksberg’s first experience of L.A.’s unforgiving desert of the surreal was the genesis of the BoJack character, whom he describes as “somebody who’s had every opportunity for success but still can’t find a way to be happy.”

• Like 2

The 2nd is a really nice Diane episode dealing with her life after the breakup.  3rd episode was mostly about Todd and a little disappointing.  4,5, and 6 are vintage Bojack.  5th is a flashback episode to Princess Carolyn's youth.  I'm loving this season so far. 

Could be the darkest season yet, and that’s saying something. What is Bojack supposedly to happily develop into? He was neglected and emotionally abused and  has transferred that to his adult life. 

He has flashes here and there. He represents the depression in all of us, really. It’s really a brilliant show. 

On 9/17/2018 at 6:07 AM, Tom said:

The eulogy scene is epic.  People will talk about that one like they do the acid trip from season 1 and the underwater one.

Or Times Arrow, but I think it wasn't as good as season 4, but it didn't have anything like the gun episode, so there's that.

Edited by workswithseed

15 hours ago, achooloco said:

Really dark, hard to watch parts of this season. Had to rewatch latter half of 4 before running through all of five today. Lots to think about but will rewatch last two episodes again. 

The last two really hit hard. I didn't expect the second to last episode. A cartoon horse really had me feeling tense as shit watching him go through his choking thing on set, that's how I know it's great writing. I honestly didn't know whether I should be feeling bad for him at that moment but I did, bc he was f'ing everything up finally.

I liked how they wrapped everything up this season. Not everybody got a nice little bow on their story (i.e. Mr PB), but everybody did get themselves into something or out of something to finish the season.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...