Texas State Board of Education (Republicans, again)

Pancho

9 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Let's sort out the illegal kids so we can point at them and blame them for problems

That's a solid reason to believe your school failed you, poor reading comprehension. It's not the children fault,  but illegal aliens use local services of TAX paying citizens and place a strain on those local services in places that often don't have the funds to support students with less teachers and resources.

Larger class sizes in public schools is a by product of that. You do understand the concept that larger class sizes isn't the best environment for learning.

Government has an obligation to it's citizens not illegal citizens. A compromise solution if one is available would be nice, but not if it's too the detriment of legal tax paying citizens.  A strong school system is going to be more and more important as technology takes the forefront of nations economies.

It's not racism to want a secured border, and to know who's in your country, but to hear democrats endlessly go on about it, that's precisely what it is.  Stupidity repeated doesn't make for fact.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Meh.  Illegal immigrants are paying for school at the same percentage of Americans, at the same income level.     Immigrants don’t pay less percentages in taxes than citizens.  

That's just not 100% true enough to say it's not a factor, because lots of illegal immigrants work in a cash only work arena. Census info is used to make all kinds of determinations for allocations of funds at the state, federal ad local (I'm assuming states use that collected census info.)  

Do illegal immigrants show up on cencus' ?  Do illegal immigrants (children) speak English well enough that they don't slow the pace of learning in classrooms ?  Public schools teach to the least common denominator typically.  So kids coming in with poor English or a less educated slow the class pace.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's just not 100% true enough to say it's not a factor, because lots of illegal immigrants work in a cash only work arena. Census info is used to make all kinds of determinations for allocations of funds at the state, federal ad local (I'm assuming states use that collected census info.)  

Do illegal immigrants show up on cencus' ?  Do illegal immigrants (children) speak English well enough that they don't slow the pace of learning in classrooms ?  Public schools teach to the least common denominator typically.  So kids coming in with poor English or a less educated slow the class pace.

What does working for cash have to do with taxes funding schools?  You do know that sales tax and property tax are the main funding sources for Texas schools, right?  And don’t start that illegal immigrants don’t own but rent property.  Renters fund property tax just as much as owners.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What does working for cash have to do with taxes funding schools?  You do know that sales tax and property tax are the main funding sources for Texas schools, right?  And don’t start that illegal immigrants don’t own but rent property.  Renters fund property tax just as much as owners.

Local taxes fund schools across the country that's true, and they get federal funds as well and those are based on census info.  Many illegals live in homes and or apts. with many/ multiple family members, often beyond code allowances. So the rent is covering a single family, when in reality more than one family may be living there. 

Look, you can't say they don't have an impact on the quality of local services. Education is definitely affected by class size, and the general level of eduction to date by the illegals entering those class rooms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If the Democrats loved education as much as is being portrayed (and evil Republicans against), they would be fighting illegal immigration and for border security. 

Education is given by dollars/students. 250k new students (children born to illegal immigrants) and educating all of the illegal children attending schools has a real cost (not just bi-lingual teachers and classes). Each extra student is taking education money directly away from an American student. How to you properly fund education when your resources are maxed by outside forces?  

Every dollar spent on education for these children steals from American children.  You have to be honest with yourself and admit there is a serious cost and address it transparently in the budget and give the voters the real information. Don’t just say “we don’t give enough money” because that ignores the problems and challenges Texas faces in education with a border under siege. It is also telling that California is right by Texas with a terrible public school rating. What is the common denominator? 

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Let's sort out the illegal kids so we can point at them and blame them for problems

And then we can put them in camps.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Local taxes fund schools across the country that's true, and they get federal funds as well and those are based on census info.  Many illegals live in homes and or apts. with many/ multiple family members, often beyond code allowances. So the rent is covering a single family, when in reality more than one family may be living there. 

This is fucking laughable

On 9/22/2018 at 10:26 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Look, you can't say they don't have an impact on the quality of local services. Education is definitely affected by class size, and the general level of eduction to date by the illegals entering those class rooms.

And you know this how?

On 9/22/2018 at 10:26 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's cool guys, he's friends with a Mexican.  

On 9/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think Onboard is a Texan and is obviously unfamiliar with how we fund education.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

I don't think Onboard is a Texan and is obviously unfamiliar with how we fund education.

I understand his opinion that most illegal immigrants with kids are poor.  Most likely their indirect property tax and sales taxes are not the highest.  But that can be said against poor parents in general.  They are potentially taking more than the give in govt services like education.     And there isn't a rule that our public schools are for citizens only. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I understand his opinion that most illegal immigrants with kids are poor.  Most likely their indirect property tax and sales taxes are not the highest.  But that can be said against poor parents in general.  They are potentially taking more than the give in govt services like education.     And there isn't a rule that our public schools are for citizens only. 

A campaign to prevent children of undocumented from attending school would negatively impact economies much the same way as it has impacted housing construction and seasonal farm labor.

Only an orderly, planned decrease in student population would save taxpayers money. And that’s not what would happen. Schools that see sudden decreases in student population are fucked by funding formulas and politics (i.e. AISD trying to close Zilker and Barton Hills elementary).

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I appreciate that you understand this. Do you also understand that if you make $20k and have two kids, those kids cost $12000 per year to educate. Then you get free medical care at the local hospital. Then you consider any other public assistance they receive, which they're not supposed to but they do, there's no way we are close to breaking even on a cash basis.

I'm for immigration and I'm for welfare. But there are six billion people who would love to live the way we do and can't because their countries are fucked up. We are bankrupting the country, for a variety of reasons, including too much free shit to illegal aliens. We'll be living like the rest of the world before too long.

Primarily I'm for truth and reasoned analysis, which is why I don't like fake news clickbait tweets.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I appreciate that you understand this. Do you also understand that if you make $20k and have two kids, those kids cost $12000 per year to educate. Then you get free medical care at the local hospital. Then you consider any other public assistance they receive, which they're not supposed to but they do, there's no way we are close to breaking even on a cash basis.

I'm for immigration and I'm for welfare. But there are six billion people who would love to live the way we do and can't because their countries are fucked up. We are bankrupting the country, for a variety of reasons, including too much free shit to illegal aliens. We'll be living like the rest of the world before too long.

Primarily I'm for truth and reasoned analysis, which is why I don't like fake news clickbait tweets.

Yes poor people are a drain on the country.  And given that there is zero sign that we will have less poor people in the future (hint: the numbers are set to go up), I don’t know what the right answer is either.   The shrinking middle and upper classes will either have to pay even more or we have to reduce services.  

• Like 1

Yes poor people are a drain on the country.  And given that there is zero sign that we will have less poor people in the future (hint: the numbers are set to go up), I don’t know what the right answer is either.   The shrinking middle and upper classes will either have to pay even more or we have to reduce services.  
Lol @ the idea that this country doesn't have the money

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I know this isn't Texas related, but it is close.  How much longer before we see an article like this about public education in Texas?

Republican Party in an Oklahoma county makes clear its opposition to public education

The Republican Party in Canadian County in Oklahoma has expressed its desire for an end to public funding of education.

The party in Canadian — the fourth-largest county in the state — is sending a letter to the Oklahoma legislature calling for swift cuts in education funding. It says, “If public education shall continue as a state institution, we should move towards reducing its dependence on the tax structure by funding it through such means as sponsorships, advertising, endowments, tuition fees, etc.”

An earlier version of the letter, according to KFOR News 4, was more explicit: “A better pathway would be to abolish public education, which is not a proper role of government, and allow the free market to determine pay and funding, eliminating the annual heartache we experience over this subject.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2018/11/27/republican-party-an-oklahoma-county-makes-clear-its-opposition-public-education/?utm_term=.e3a127b309e0

Maybe vouchers would work in larger markets, but how do you handle the rural kids?   One of the things that I discovered in home schooling my son was that not all these private schools adhere to the same accreditation system as the public schools.   That becomes a problem for universities and other higher education centers when it comes to who and how to accept.  Same for scholarship awards.  These people don't want to pay, but they also refuse to recognize the need for standardization of curriculum and how it is judged. 

Another good report in a different vein was done on ESPN Friday on Gumbel's Real Sports program.   It went into depth on how communities are defunding parks and rec budgets that previously fielded things like soccer, basketball, baseball, etc for youths.    It is a real disadvantage for those who can't afford the fees to join the private leagues.  I see this as a sign of where some people would like public education to go as well.  The rich get richer kind of thing. 

https://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/all-episodes/november-2018

from a quick google search, below is from the OK constitution:  

The Legislature shall establish and maintain a system of free public schools wherein all the children of the State may be educated.

Now the state has the right to change it, but its fairly extreme to argue that govt doesn't have a place in public education when the previously ratified constitution makes it clear that it is.  Now this doesn't mean that the govt can't look for alternative funding options but it doesn't absolve them of the overall responsibility.