Jerry Jones Wants Jeff Bezos to Buy the Seattle Seahawks

Vic Mackey

1ded33e1e2438aca4f7e3533b36a8747.jpg

The Seattle Seahawks ownership situation is up in the air after Paul Allen’s death, but it’s clear who Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to buy the team.

A story by Jenny Vrentas of SI.com explores the Seahawks ownership issue, and the most illuminating, and at times entertaining, quotes in the piece are from Jones about Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.

“Someone like that,” Jones told SI.com, “I’d carry him piggyback to get him to the NFL.”

Well then. There have been no reports that Bezos is interested in buying the Seahawks, but there are many reasons his name will be connected to the sale. He lives in the Seattle area, recently giving $2 billion to start a charitable fund for homeless families and to address early childhood education. Bezos is also in the NFL business already, as Amazon Prime Video bought rights to stream Thursday night NFL games.

Bezos also can afford the Seahawks, to say the least. Earlier this month Forbes said Bezos is the richest person in the world, worth about $160 billion. There aren’t many men who should pick up the check when having dinner with Jones, but Bezos is one of them.

Jeff Bezos would have no problem paying for Seahawks

NFL business is doing pretty well. The last team to sell was the Carolina Panthers, who were sold to David Tepper earlier this year for about $2.3 billion. The Panthers had the Jerry Richardson situation hanging over them so there was presumably pressure to sell fast, and they have an older stadium that probably needs work. The Seahawks have one of the best stadiums in the NFL, a great fan base and a lot of recent success. Presumably, the Seahawks could fetch more than $2.3 billion.

Bezos, obviously, wouldn’t even blink at that price. Also, the SI.com story pointed out that the asking price might be less because Allen was tremendously wealthy, with no wife or children, and the money raised in the Seahawks sale could go to charitable causes that Allen supported.

Jones, who has never been understated about anything, told SI.com that Bezos was a “tremendous, tremendous American.”

“If you are in my shoes, and you have the background that I have, Jeff Bezos is one of the top guys in the country,” Jones told SI.com. “When someone of that kind of stature, Paul’s stature, decides to become involved in the NFL through ownership, I throw a party, because I have such respect for them, and I know they are going to make a serious contribution to our sport and the NFL.”

If Bezos wants to buy the Seahawks, we know how the Cowboys would be voting in the approval process.

Jerry Jones leading the charge for Bezos

Presumably, even if Bezos isn’t interested the NFL could find someone willing to buy the team and keep it in Seattle, which seems to be the desired outcome for everyone. Among the more interesting names SI.com floated aside from Bezos were Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer and Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob.

Still, it’s clear why Jones is being so outspoken about getting Bezos involved with NFL ownership. Bezos is clearly a smart businessman, he would keep the Seahawks franchise in a stable situation, he has already done great work in Seattle, and it would be another big name for the owners to add to their group.

There aren’t many NFL owners who more famous than Jones, but he would be fine with adding one.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/jerry-jones-really-really-wants-amazon-ceo-jeff-bezos-buy-seahawks-171539262.html

27 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I want Jeff Bezos to buy the Dallas Cowboys. 

Is there even a price that would entice Jerry to sell? Bezos could offer triple what they are worth and not even blink an eye. But Jerry is old and I don't think no amount of money would prey the Cowboys away from him sadly. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Bezos is worth $150billion. I can't even wrap my brain around how much money that actually is, especially with it being the net worth of one human being. 

We know. We have seen pics of the creatures you mount. 

Does Jerry want Bezos to buy the franchise so as to lend more financial credibility to other NFL franchise owners?  I think Jones believes that having Bezos in his industry will make Jerry seem more legitimate as opposed to the two-bit false-flag overrated owner he is, kinda like the Trump of the NFL.  Both Jones and Trump prey upon a similar demographic.  

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

At an annual return of 7%, he's only making $28.7M per day. 

It's not like he has this cash invested in a fund drawing 7% annually.

I wonder how much liquid he has AND whether he actually ever spends any of "his own money" or if Amazon pays for everything. I'm sure that there are a few lawyers, accountants, and financial managers giving him advice on which loopholes to employ.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It's not like he has this cash invested in a fund drawing 7% annually.

I wonder how much liquid he has AND whether he actually ever spends any of "his own money" or if Amazon pays for everything. I'm sure that there are a few lawyers, accountants, and financial managers giving him advice on which loopholes to employ.

Of course but regardless, I'd bet his wealth increases at a greater rate than 7% per year.

PA was the best owner a fan could hope for. Throw money at the team and let football people do football things.  Not many billionaires that I can think of will do that.  Bezos would let football people run the team, but he’s a cheap bastard.