UCF vs Temple

Augustus

ESPN is no longer a sports news organization. 

They are now politicians who spend every single college football game trying to convince the public of their narrative. 

Fucking assholes trying to ruin my favorite sport.  Have to listen to the entire fourth quarter on mute.

1 minute ago, Monster said:

ESPN is no longer a sports news organization. 

They are now politicians who spend every single college football game trying to convince the public of their narrative. 

Fucking assholes trying to ruin my favorite sport.  Have to listen to the entire fourth quarter on mute.

hopefully Fox or probably by then a streaming service outbids them next TV contract comes around. 

Seriously, they've spent the last 20 minutes telling us that UCF, and by proxy, every team in that isn't a P5 school, should never be allowed to play in the playoffs.

That's what they're saying.  They're are telling us why 80% of the schools in the top division will never be allowed to play in a playoff game.

Fucking mutiny. 

80% of college football teams, you're being told you will never, ever be allowed to participate in a playoff.    Do something about this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monster said:

Seriously, they've spent the last 20 minutes telling us that UCF, and by proxy, every team in that isn't a P5 school, should never be allowed to play in the playoffs.

That's what they're saying.  They're are telling us why 80% of the schools in the top division will never be allowed to play in a playoff game.

Fucking mutiny. 

80% of college football teams, you're being told you will never, ever be allowed to participate in a playoff.    Do something about this.

The reason I'm rooting for UCF to go undefeated is in the hope that should they get left out, this will lead to anti-trust action and force expansion and G5 inclusion.   

• Like 2

Consider what the payout is for a playoff bowl, compared to the payout in whatever bowl an undefeated UCF (or any undefeated non-P5 team) would be 'rewarded' with....are we talking about a difference in the hundreds of thousands of dollars?  Millions of dollars?   

Would it be that surprising if 80% of college football teams, who are being locked out of the playoffs and playoff money, ended up in court?       

I mean, you've got a 'news organization', ESPN, over here, creating charts and graphs, and using every bit of air time they have to influence and control the narrative...with the very obvious goal of funneling actual, real world money, into the pockets of their business partners (SEC)...

Potentially, we're talking about millions of dollars.   How is this not already in court?  

Edited by Monster

they will go back to the old BCS or pre-BCS system before there is any anti-trust

people want to forget that conferences started these bowl games like the PAC 10 and Big 10 and The Rose Bowl and they have the right to control what they started

the fact that some of those bowls decided to get together and cooperate to make some better games is really not a "trust" or "monopoly" issue mainly because any other conferences are free to get together and start their own bowl games and get an offer for them and keep that money

it is similar to when UGA and OUsucks went to court to break what WAS a monopoly with the CFA and television where schools and conferences were prevented from signing their own deals.....THAT was a monopoly

the fact that some conferences decided to cooperate on bowl games to switch teams around and were GENEROUS enough to include G5 programs that never contributes shit towards starting or building those bowls is not a monopoly situation and if anyone thinks that is is or if the courts were stupid enough to rule that it is the "reward" will be the PAC 12 and Big 10 saying "fuck off" we are going back to PAC 12 and Big 10 in The Rose Bowl and then other conferences doing the same like it used to be and the NC will go back to being the MNC and the G5 conferences will get jack shit unless they can find a sponsor and a stajium willing to have them meet up and get paid

same with TV contracts......the Big 12, SEC SEC SEC, Big 10, PAC 12 and ACC  get paid what they get paid and that does not prevent the MWC, MAC Sunbelt, CUSA, or AAC or anyone else from trying to go get the best TV contract they can get

if they do not like how the BCS works they are free to start their own bowl and invite any teams they wish (but of course all the P5 have obligations for their top non-playoff teams already spoken for and same with playoff teams).....but the AAC and the rest are free to leave that anytime they wish and form their own bowls and try and "plwy with themselves" or even see if P5 teams will "play with them" after their contracts run out

So, instead of expanding college football's playoff system to give all the teams in division I football a chance, you think we should shrink it back to two teams....and the 80% of teams currently locked out of the playoff system should fuck off and play with themselves, because 'they don't contribute anything'.    A bit dystopian, but maybe that's what happens if a bunch of angry old people get to make the decision.

• Like 1

And you talk about the bowl system like its something people like, or want, or value.   

It only exists because 100 years ago, before we had fucking airplanes, a SINGLE regional football contest at the end of the year was logistically, the best we could do.    But guess what, we have airplanes now, and the ability to travel long distances in a day, and its possible to hold multiple contests to prove which of the top 8 or 16 teams is actually the best, on the field. Instead of, you know, through arguments and 'eyeball tests'. 

College football's bowl system is the worst post season system in all of sports.   

Edited by Monster

4 hours ago, markstanco said:

Anti-trust? Are you f'ing serious? Jesus.

What are laughing at? In the 90’s the NCAA was hammered for $54 million on those very grounds when they tried to cap salaries. What, you thought inflation brought about the absurd amount of money a D1 coach can earn? Fuck no, the NCAA didn’t want an arms race.

The NCAA isnt dumb. They knew full well that if you pay a coach $10 million. Someone is going to ask why? And more importantly, how? 

Factor in that the most expensive element of any business is it’s workforce. And you get the O’Bannon case. One where a current players likeness shows up on a video game and he doesn’t receive any compensation, but the university does.

Then again in 2013 this very issue again pops up on the hill. And again the Sherman Anti-Trust is waved like a Sabre. Fortunately for the NCAA, it was brought up during a lame duck Congress. A shot over the bow if you will. But don’t think for a second that the new transfer rules were out of the goodness of the NCAA’s heart. It is because they hear the dogs. And they will either eventually reform, of be replaced by a governing body. The money, and how to get a piece of it is what everyone is looking at.

• Like 1

One other thing. The NCAA is a 501(c)(3) organization. Which means they get to seal their books. Imagine what one would find if those ever became public. There are NCAA people from the old SMU days who’s fear was not killing SMU football. It was that the action would give SMU lawyers a toehold at forcing open the NCAA financial records. As at that time there were a number of supposed “loans” that were rumored to have been made. 

It's super important to note that the NCAA doesn't own the College Football Playoff.  The 10 conferences do.

And that you lose money by giving up a NY6 bowl to play in the playoff because the playoff distributes very widely.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

they will go back to the old BCS or pre-BCS system before there is any anti-trust

people want to forget that conferences started these bowl games like the PAC 10 and Big 10 and The Rose Bowl and they have the right to control what they started

the fact that some of those bowls decided to get together and cooperate to make some better games is really not a "trust" or "monopoly" issue mainly because any other conferences are free to get together and start their own bowl games and get an offer for them and keep that money

it is similar to when UGA and OUsucks went to court to break what WAS a monopoly with the CFA and television where schools and conferences were prevented from signing their own deals.....THAT was a monopoly

the fact that some conferences decided to cooperate on bowl games to switch teams around and were GENEROUS enough to include G5 programs that never contributes shit towards starting or building those bowls is not a monopoly situation and if anyone thinks that is is or if the courts were stupid enough to rule that it is the "reward" will be the PAC 12 and Big 10 saying "fuck off" we are going back to PAC 12 and Big 10 in The Rose Bowl and then other conferences doing the same like it used to be and the NC will go back to being the MNC and the G5 conferences will get jack shit unless they can find a sponsor and a stajium willing to have them meet up and get paid

same with TV contracts......the Big 12, SEC SEC SEC, Big 10, PAC 12 and ACC  get paid what they get paid and that does not prevent the MWC, MAC Sunbelt, CUSA, or AAC or anyone else from trying to go get the best TV contract they can get

if they do not like how the BCS works they are free to start their own bowl and invite any teams they wish (but of course all the P5 have obligations for their top non-playoff teams already spoken for and same with playoff teams).....but the AAC and the rest are free to leave that anytime they wish and form their own bowls and try and "plwy with themselves" or even see if P5 teams will "play with them" after their contracts run out

Thank you for the bullshit business lesson. I guess I prefer sports where champions are decided on the field of play and not board rooms and by players and not suits.

You clearly feel differently. Hey there is an entire corporate world out there for you enjoy board rooms and revenue streams and branding deals and all that great stuff you prefer. You can watch all that stuff and talk about which CEO gets invited to which party and what kind of tie they should wear and all that stuff. I want to enjoy sports. So fuck this.

And this is not about Bowl Games this is about deciding who gets to be the champion. A minority of the teams in the league have no right to exclude their competition because that competition beating them would be bad for their fucking business interests and hurt their branding. Why that is something you prefer is...well as I said plenty of places in our society you can enjoy business interests.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Thank you for the bullshit business lesson. I guess I prefer sports where champions are decided on the field of play and not board rooms and by players and not suits.

You clearly feel differently. Hey there is an entire corporate world out there for you enjoy board rooms and revenue streams and branding deals and all that great stuff you prefer. You can watch all that stuff and talk about which CEO gets invited to which party and what kind of tie they should wear and all that stuff. I want to enjoy sports. So fuck this.

And this is not about Bowl Games this is about deciding who gets to be the champion. A minority of the teams in the league have no right to exclude their competition because that competition beating them would be bad for their fucking business interests and hurt their branding. Why that is something you prefer is...well as I said plenty of places in our society you can enjoy business interests.

I don't recall him saying that it was his preference.

I took his post as a reason why things will not change.

2 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

no, its being run like a corporation

A corporation who's hijacked an industry and is running a monopoly to try and eliminate its competition.   They've rigged it as if they are running things like a cartel.   You don't think there would be more equity and competitiveness between the P5 and G5 if that weren't the case?

Edited by 903Cougar

Just now, Mileslong said:

and what competition are they trying to eliminate exactly?

They are trying to eliminate the schools not in the P5 conferences(aka "the Cartel") from competing for a share of the pie ($$$ and access).   You allow them to compete the last and have access and a share of the pie the past 2 decades and there wouldn't be this disparity.  It's completely artificial.   How is this not clear as day to you?

• Like 1

Just now, 903Cougar said:

They are trying to eliminate the schools not in the P5 conferences(aka "the Cartel") from competing for a share of the pie ($$$ and access).   You allow them to compete the last and have access and a share of the pie the past 2 decades and there wouldn't be this disparity.  It's completely artificial.   How is this not clear as day to you?

Thats not how the Football Playoff works. You are thinking of the BCS or the basketball tourney.  Disbursements are set independent of who makes the tournament.

2 minutes ago, 903Cougar said:

the percentage of non P5 schools that have a legitimate shot at winning a national championship is so minuscule that there is no reason to try and say "every single school that fields a football team should have a shot damnit!!!"

the nature of the sport itself precludes you from having some sort of 64 team playoff.  as i have pointed out on here before, even in the basketball tourney no team seeded higher than 8 has ever won it, the only 8th seed was villanova in like 1985.  i dont know what the perfect bracket would look like, 8 teams maybe?  but if your'e trying to make the case that UCF deserves to be in the top 4 then that's an idiots argument.  they play no one in a terrible conference.  at the end of the day you want the best teams playing for the championship regardless of record.  it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that UCF doesn't deserve to be in the four team playoff...

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Thats not how the Football Playoff works. You are thinking of the BCS or the basketball tourney.  Disbursements are set independent of who makes the tournament.

This is no different than the BCS.   This system only reinforced that wall to keep out and prevent the G5's  from crashing the party.    And don't think for a second that the G5 conferences had much of a choice but to agree to that arrangement.  

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

the percentage of non P5 schools that have a legitimate shot at winning a national championship is so minuscule that there is no reason to try and say "every single school that fields a football team should have a shot damnit!!!"

the nature of the sport itself precludes you from having some sort of 64 team playoff.  as i have pointed out on here before, even in the basketball tourney no team seeded higher than 8 has ever won it, the only 8th seed was villanova in like 1985.  i dont know what the perfect bracket would look like, 8 teams maybe?  but if your'e trying to make the case that UCF deserves to be in the top 4 then that's an idiots argument.  they play no one in a terrible conference.  at the end of the day you want the best teams playing for the championship regardless of record.  it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that UCF doesn't deserve to be in the four team playoff...

If you want a real, legitimate championship than you have all the teams play on a level, non-rigged playing field, and you don't set up artificial barriers and glass ceilings to prevent them from recruiting on the same level.  I'm not even calling for a big playoff, just a playoff system that allows all 129 teams to control their own destiny on the field of play and eliminate the artificial disadvantages that keep them from building up their programs and recruiting on the same level.  This is the biggest detriment to this sport.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 903Cougar said:

This is no different than the BCS.   This system only reinforced that wall to keep out and prevent the G5's  from crashing the party.    And don't think for a second that the G5 conferences had much of a choice but to agree to that arrangement.

Every conference has one seat at the board of directors.  They had a choice, and they went with what was best for them - siphoning as much money out of the P5 as possible.  They aren't the victim here, they are a co-conspirator at best and a leech at worst.

Like was already pointed out, they could have arranged their own post-season if they wanted to, like FCS did.

51 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Every conference has one seat at the board of directors.  They had a choice, and they went with what was best for them - siphoning as much money out of the P5 as possible.  They aren't the victim here, they are a co-conspirator at best and a leech at worst.

Like was already pointed out, they could have arranged their own post-season if they wanted to, like FCS did.

Was the FCS offered access to the playoff?

UCF looked bad to me and this is not the year we'll need to worry about a G5 team being one of the 4 best teams at the end of the season.

Still think we need 8, but not a system where one of the 8 spots is slotted to the best G5 team.  I'd go 8 and just go back to the BCS formula to pick those 8.

The committee seems too easily biased/swayed by a single voice.  As an example the first rankings have middling ACC teams stuffing the bottom of the rankings...why?  I mean it doesn't much matter but its troubling there are so many of them clustered together like that.  Also, I think its pretty clear they have SEC weighted too high.  LSU does not look better than Michigan or ND to me.  I realize this problem corrects itself Saturday, but still.  Lastly...Kentucky at 9?  Are you fucking kidding me?  For a group who is supposed to 'watch the games' they clearly have not been.

23 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I would vehemently oppose going back to AP and Coaches Polls over the Committee.  That shit was bad.  Commitee hasn't proven itself to be that bad yet.

It would be fine for setting a field of say 8 teams. Mormon boy wants some sort of government supervised. Single Payer socialized football tournament.

can't UCF schedule some P5 schools for their OOC games? they are clearly dominating their current competition. if they really want to prove themselves, get some big boys on the schedule. they deserve a shot to show what they can/cannot do.

of course, i guess there's not a lot of benefit in scheduling them...if you win,  you're supposed to, and if you lose you're gonna get embarrassed.

23 minutes ago, mchookem said:

can't UCF schedule some P5 schools for their OOC games? they are clearly dominating their current competition. if they really want to prove themselves, get some big boys on the schedule. they deserve a shot to show what they can/cannot do.

of course, i guess there's not a lot of benefit in scheduling them...if you win,  you're supposed to, and if you lose you're gonna get embarrassed.

They did, but hurricanes canceled their games with Ga Tech (2017) and North Carolina (2018) but atleast they are playing P6 teams in conference.....

Edited by 903Cougar