The Italy Thread

sidis

I totally get wanting to see as much as possible when you're there. We had the same frustration when we were planning our trip last September. In the end, we decided to spend the time on some things, and save the others for another trip. Having gone once, I totally get why some go back year after year. Part of me wants to do that, but another wants to see other places. The world is just too damn big, and interesting, for those who love to travel. I just need to win the lottery. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rpspeed said:

ok, bad idea. Should I mention my thought of doing a daytrip to the dolomites on one of the 4 days we'll be in Venice?

Man, just hang out in Venice and explore off-the-beaten path locations.  If you really want to see another location, go to Padova or maybe go as far as Asolo and visit some wineries.  Or find a way to spend more time in the mountains, not a quick jaunt.  

We are going back this summer... we have a "base" for two weeks to mostly spend time at the beach but for the most part, all of our little jaunts and side trips will be within one hour or less.  We'll probably stay at a winery b/w Bologna and Modena for two nights and then our last night will be in Borgo Panigale.  We focus on an area rather than to spread ourselves too thin.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Man, just hang out in Venice and explore off-the-beaten path locations.  If you really want to see another location, go to Padova or maybe go as far as Asolo and visit some wineries.  Or find a way to spend more time in the mountains, not a quick jaunt.  

We are going back this summer... we have a "base" for two weeks to mostly spend time at the beach but for the most part, all of our little jaunts and side trips will be within one hour or less.  We'll probably stay at a winery b/w Bologna and Modena for two nights and then our last night will be in Borgo Panigale.  We focus on an area rather than to spread ourselves too thin.

Wife really wants to do some wineries in/around Venice, any recommendations? . We have 10 days planned in France and added a week in Italy while we were "in the area".  I have a bad habit of trying to squeeze too much in.

Original plan was to take high speed train from Rome to Venice but any thoughts on renting a car one way and stopping in the Tuscany area for a vineyard?

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I totally get wanting to see as much as possible when you're there. We had the same frustration when we were planning our trip last September. In the end, we decided to spend the time on some things, and save the others for another trip. Having gone once, I totally get why some go back year after year. Part of me wants to do that, but another wants to see other places. The world is just too damn big, and interesting, for those who love to travel. I just need to win the lottery. 

Yes, I need to balance seeing as much as I can with enjoying where I go lol.

3 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

Wife really wants to do some wineries in/around Venice, any recommendations? . We have 10 days planned in France and added a week in Italy while we were "in the area".  I have a bad habit of trying to squeeze too much in.

Original plan was to take high speed train from Rome to Venice but any thoughts on renting a car one way and stopping in the Tuscany area for a vineyard?

I will tell you Italy is covered with vineyards... everyone says Tuscany but great wine comes out of every region.  You can see some nice wineries north of Venice easily... that's where Prosecco comes from.  Lots of good ones in Veneto (think Valpolicella, Bardolino, etc.) and you'll go through Emilia Romagna to get to Venice... tons of great wineries.  You know what I do?  I use Google Maps and start poking around... I find all kinds of gems that way.  Don't fall in love with the concept of "Tuscany".  It's like assuming good BBQ only comes from Lockhart.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, rpspeed said:

Yes, I need to balance seeing as much as I can with enjoying where I go lol.

We had 6 full days in Tuscany, and one day we just hung at the place we were staying, did laundry, and just chilled. On one hand it killed me, because I had something I wanted to do and see, and we never got there. On the other hand, we were on vacation and it was nice to just sit and read a book... but still. Finding that balance is so hard when time is limited. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We had 6 full days in Tuscany, and one day we just hung at the place we were staying, did laundry, and just chilled. On one hand it killed me, because I had something I wanted to do and see, and we never got there. On the other hand, we were on vacation and it was nice to just sit and read a book... but still. Finding that balance is so hard when time is limited. 

Funny... I have great memories from relaxing moments like that.  Sitting in an agriturismo across from Gubbio and just hanging out on the lawn and watching rain move in and then watching the cloud clear and the sun come out.   Nothing to do... just chill and enjoy a quiet moment in the Italian countryside.  Millions of people see the sights in ITaly every year.. the same sites... a teeny fraction of them get to enjoy the real moments.

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I will tell you Italy is covered with vineyards... everyone says Tuscany but great wine comes out of every region.  You can see some nice wineries north of Venice easily... that's where Prosecco comes from.  Lots of good ones in Veneto (think Valpolicella, Bardolino, etc.) and you'll go through Emilia Romagna to get to Venice... tons of great wineries.  You know what I do?  I use Google Maps and start poking around... I find all kinds of gems that way.  Don't fall in love with the concept of "Tuscany".  It's like assuming good BBQ only comes from Lockhart.

Piednmonte.  

If you are looking g for day trips around Venice, hop in a boat and walk around Murano for a day. Go watch the glass blowers and just stroll through the town. It’s a nice change of pace from Venice which is much busier.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

If you are looking g for day trips around Venice, hop in a boat and walk around Murano for a day. Go watch the glass blowers and just stroll through the town. It’s a nice change of pace from Venice which is much busier.

Seconded.  I did this when we got to the Venice airport and our rental car wasn't ready yet.  

If you had 2 1/2 days in Rome and had never been would you spend one of them on a day trip to the Amalfi Coast?

Amalfi way too far for a day trip from Rome, as even from Naples it’s pushing it.

Enjoy Roma and what it has to offer, plenty there for that short a time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

...and if you want to mix it up from Rome but pretty much stay in Rome, go to Ostia Antica, the old Roman seaport.  Usually very quiet and gobs of very cool Roman ruins.

On a side note, just booked two nights at a Ferrari-themed hotel in Maranello since I think the kids will get a kick out of it.  We'll be near Maranello, Modena and the wineries outside of Modena where you can eat like a king at local trattorie.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

My best advice for Italy is just go and explore. I’ve been 6 times and I am about to go on my 7th trip. Just go. You will experience something new every time and want to go back again. 

Yep. I’m going in June for my 3rd time in 4 years. It’s just incredible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Skipping Italy this year, but went last.  In 2023, definitely doing a week in Capri.  I loved it so much last time, but 2.5 days wasn’t enough IMO, but that is because I like beach and boat days interspersed with sightseeing.  Tentative plan is 8 nights in September 2023.

That leaves me with a May 2023 trip.  Have been thinking Venice, but also looking further afield as well.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Skipping Italy this year, but went last.  In 2023, definitely doing a week in Capri.  I loved it so much last time, but 2.5 days wasn’t enough IMO, but that is because I like beach and boat days interspersed with sightseeing.  Tentative plan is 8 nights in September 2023.

That leaves me with a May 2023 trip.  Have been thinking Venice, but also looking further afield as well.

Why not try the less obvious Ischia instead of Capri?  More Italians, less Americans.  More authentic, less expensive.

34 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Why not try the less obvious Ischia instead of Capri?  More Italians, less Americans.  More authentic, less expensive.

So, in September 2021, I was in Naples, Capri (only two days) and Ischia.  I like Ischia, but there is just something about Capri that I absolutely adore (which is shocking since I hated it after a day visit while on the Amalfi Coast back in 2018).  When we were there this past September, there were Americans, but a lot more Italians than I was expecting.  

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

but there is just something about Capri that I absolutely adore

It's Rodeo Drive on steroids and at 5 PM the beautiful people gather in the main piazza for cocktails before dinner.  What's not to like other than the fact that it is $$$$$.

59 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, in September 2021, I was in Naples, Capri (only two days) and Ischia.  I like Ischia, but there is just something about Capri that I absolutely adore (which is shocking since I hated it after a day visit while on the Amalfi Coast back in 2018).  When we were there this past September, there were Americans, but a lot more Italians than I was expecting.  

From what I know, Italians took advantage of fewer American tourists to visit places that tend to be frequented by Americans.  That will change next year so it may not be the same experience.  Prices will probably change to accommodate for the shift back to foreign $.  

Assuming Europe isn't blanketed in radiation.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Unrelated - car rental prices are still through the roof.  Sucks.

Saw my cancelled reservation from a ski trip in March 2020... it was under 270 Euro for 8 days for a wagon.

Yep, We've decided just to do private drivers between a couple of cities in Spain.  It's not much worse than renting a car without any of the  hassle.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It's Rodeo Drive on steroids and at 5 PM the beautiful people gather in the main piazza for cocktails before dinner.  What's not to like other than the fact that it is $$$$$.

Still cheaper than NYC...at least to eat and drink it is.  Shopping is the same.  Yeah, the hotels are $$$, but that is what AMEX points are for.

9 hours ago, texasdago said:

From what I know, Italians took advantage of fewer American tourists to visit places that tend to be frequented by Americans.  That will change next year so it may not be the same experience.  Prices will probably change to accommodate for the shift back to foreign $.  

Assuming Europe isn't blanketed in radiation.

The very nice thing about Early September is that Americans are back in school...everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2022 at 3:45 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The very nice thing about Early September is that Americans are back in school...everywhere.

Tourists are definitely out in early April but it’s no overwhelming. I am hearing a lot more English then I am used to. I think Americans are making up a larger % of tourists right now. Not very many people from Asian countries or other European countries it seems. 

The service employees seem to be pleased since traffic is up and they probably aren’t annoyed yet with dumb travelers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from two weeks in Venice, Florence, Tuscany and Rome. We had a fabulous time and Michelangelo's David is the most magnificent sculpture I've ever seen. Food was great, wine was great--never more than 5 euros a glass, vistas were beautiful and the people were friendly. The shopkeepers were glad to see Americans come back and we had an incredible time.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, msbesq said:

Michelangelo's David is the most magnificent sculpture I've ever seen.

I am nowhere close to being an art aficionado, and have zero art training. I've seen quite a bit of the world's great art, but there are tons more I haven't seen. But, I was totally mesmerized by it. There are no words to describe it, and no photo can do it justice. It has to be seen, and I love that you can get really close to it, and see it from every angle. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the 2nd episode of the latest Stanley Tucci series on CNN. They make me so schizophrenic. I drool over everything he eats, and yet it's pure torture because I want to go to every place he goes. Damn, why am I not independently wealthy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Watched the 2nd episode of the latest Stanley Tucci series on CNN. They make me so schizophrenic. I drool over everything he eats, and yet it's pure torture because I want to go to every place he goes. Damn, why am I not independently wealthy. 

I love that show. When I head back to Capri next year, I am going to try and take a day and hit the place with the zucchini pasta (Lo Scoglio).  It is on the mainland, but I think I can swing it.  Can ferry back to Naples or Sorrento and get these relatively easily.  Stay on the beach for the day and eat at the restaurant.  The other thing I could do is go there for a day or two and then spend the week in Capri.  Oh well, have until September 2023 to figure all that out.