The Italy Thread

sidis

5 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I was thinking about doing the Aosta Valley but it felt too ambitious.  If it was a three week trip I'd have added that.

Do it in the winter for obvious reasons... also great food in the valley including the best lard you'll ever have.  

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is driving me crazy talking about travel insurance. I didn’t have it when I backpacked Europe 25 years ago. I don’t get it when I got to Brazil (don’t need it). She is confused if it’s obligatory or not and/or it’s worth it.

Suggestions?

Usually when I am in Brazil I just add international plan to my AT&T plan. But we are wondering if it’s cheaper just to get a prepaid plan/sim there. Opinions?

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My wife is driving me crazy talking about travel insurance. I didn’t have it when I backpacked Europe 25 years ago. I don’t get it when I got to Brazil (don’t need it). She is confused if it’s obligatory or not and/or it’s worth it.

Suggestions?

Usually when I am in Brazil I just add international plan to my AT&T plan. But we are wondering if it’s cheaper just to get a prepaid plan/sim there. Opinions?

I've never done it for Italy.  AT&T international plan for phone and Chase Sapphire Reserve covers most everything else.  Is she talking health insurance or what?  If so, I can tell you, I went to the ER twice last time I was in Italy with my MIL, and both visits were totally free.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Suggestions?

We normally don't ever get it. We did when we went to Italy in 21, but only because we had to have a negative covid test to get on the flight home. Didn't want to get stuck for 2 weeks with no money. 

• Like 1

Thanks y’all. Yeah, talking medical. My State Farm policy Will cover things like my camera and lenses. That’s really the only thing I’d value I would be taking. But we have two little girls and I guess she was thinking of them and all the stuff she has been reading about it being obligatory.

I know getting a sim there is likely cheaper, but I might just do international AT&T like I usually do.

42 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Suggestions?

The only time I’ve ever purchased travel insurance was for an Africa trip in case one of us got attacked by a lion and we needed to be evacuated by helicopter an hour from paved roads.   That ride is expensive.  The insurance was something like $50 for both of us for 2 weeks.  Better safe than sorry.  I understand it’s gotten more expensive since Covid.  If I was going to Rome I would pass if that was an option, but I think some places are requiring it now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

The only time I’ve ever purchased travel insurance was for an Africa trip in case one of us got attacked by a lion and we needed to be evacuated by helicopter an hour from paved roads.   That ride is expensive.  The insurance was something like $50 for both of us for 2 weeks.  Better safe than sorry.  I understand it’s gotten more expensive since Covid.  If I was going to Rome I would pass if that was an option, but I think some places are requiring it now. 

Yep.  I'm going on a 5 month wilderness trip and am about to buy insurance for that, but not so much for European travel.  

www.worldnomads.com if it's really something you're worried about, but total overkill, imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  I'm going on a 5 month wilderness trip and am about to buy insurance for that, but not so much for European travel.  

www.worldnomads.com if it's really something you're worried about, but total overkill, imo.

We also did great white shark diving on that trip and some aggressive hiking.  $50 seemed cheap in case something went south in a third world country.  That is who we used.  If we were going to Paris to eat well and go to some vineyards in the surrounding areas I would self-insure.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

We also did great white shark diving on that trip and some aggressive hiking.  $50 seemed cheap in case something went south in a third world country.  That is who we used.  If we were going to Paris to eat well and go to some vineyards in the surrounding areas I would self-insure.

Fuck yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know about travel insurance... been to Italy a dozen times in the past 10 years and never gotten it, not to mention all other international trips we've taken.  I guess it's only bitten me in the ass once (2020) but I'm pretty sure travel insurance doesn't cover loss of $ for ski guides.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I don't know about travel insurance... been to Italy a dozen times in the past 10 years and never gotten it, not to mention all other international trips we've taken.  I guess it's only bitten me in the ass once (2020) but I'm pretty sure travel insurance doesn't cover loss of $ for ski guides.  

It overlaps a lot with what you get through your credit cards, but serious health situations aren’t typically covered by your credit cards.  Like I said, I’ve gotten it once.

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting to think about Italy for Spring Break next year.  Both kids have now taken enough world history in school to be interested in Rome, so that's where they're keen to go.  And Mrs.LL is interested in heading down to the Amalfi Coast.

So I'm thinking four days in Rome (leave Thursday, arrive Friday late afternoon, and have Saturday through Tuesday in Rome).  Wednesday for travel/see Pompeii along the way.  And then Thursday through Saturday for the Amalfi Coast.  Does that sound reasonable?

A few things: I have no idea what to do in Amalfi.  Do we just drive around and . . . I don't know--see cliffs?  Maybe rent a boat for a day or two?  And how long do I need down there?

Frankly, if it were up to me, we'd spend the entire goddamned week in Rome.  But shit's no up to me.  I'm just the guy planning, organizing, and paying for the entire goddamned adventure.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Frankly, if it were up to me, we'd spend the entire goddamned week in Rome. 

Saves me from having to post this.  One base, side trips.  But I get it... You will lose that argument.  Otherwise I would tell you to ski all week in the Italian Alps as spring break week is a great time to have 0 - 2 minute lift lines in Italy.

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Saves me from having to post this.  One base, side trips.  But I get it... You will lose that argument.  Otherwise I would tell you to ski all week in the Italian Alps as spring break week is a great time to have 0 - 2 minute lift lines in Italy.

There's no fucking way I'm going to get to go skiing after Mrs.LL blew out her ACL on the mountain at Taos a few years ago.

But yeah.  I'm not going to win this fight.  Mrs.LL wants to go to Amalfi.  So we're going to Amalfi.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's no fucking way I'm going to get to go skiing after Mrs.LL blew out her ACL on the mountain at Taos a few years ago.

But yeah.  I'm not going to win this fight.  Mrs.LL wants to go to Amalfi.  So we're going to Amalfi.

We’re gonna need pics before passing judgement on you.

55 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Starting to think about Italy for Spring Break next year.  Both kids have now taken enough world history in school to be interested in Rome, so that's where they're keen to go.  And Mrs.LL is interested in heading down to the Amalfi Coast.

So I'm thinking four days in Rome (leave Thursday, arrive Friday late afternoon, and have Saturday through Tuesday in Rome).  Wednesday for travel/see Pompeii along the way.  And then Thursday through Saturday for the Amalfi Coast.  Does that sound reasonable?

A few things: I have no idea what to do in Amalfi.  Do we just drive around and . . . I don't know--see cliffs?  Maybe rent a boat for a day or two?  And how long do I need down there?

Frankly, if it were up to me, we'd spend the entire goddamned week in Rome.  But shit's no up to me.  I'm just the guy planning, organizing, and paying for the entire goddamned adventure.

Well, one day you go from Amalfi to Capri. That's a must.  Hell, maybe spend a night there.   Take the ski-lift thing while you're there. 

The rest of the time you go up and down a million stairs.

And driving to Amalfi isn't for pussies.  I was terrified on a fucking bus.  To the extent that I refused to take the bus back, and took a ferry instead.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Gil Bang is right, don’t rent a car. I was OK on the bus but I didn’t want to be there. 

First two days it rained non-stop but today we had sun and clouds and it paid off. Tomorrow Capri. If you’ve got kids (or even not), highly recommend a day trip to Pompeii. You can also go up to Vesuvius’ crater, pretty easy walk from where the bus drops you. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4255ae2cd9a9048389fae8cc9f3fec1f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If you’ve got kids (or even not), highly recommend a day trip to Pompeii.

I loved Pompeii.  It was one of the highlights of my 2004 trip.  We hired a driver to take us there, and on the way back he swung by Ravelo where I had one of the best meals in Italy.  The town is perched up significantly higher off the coast than Amalfi and Positano, so you get some great views.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I loved Pompeii.  It was one of the highlights of my 2004 trip.  We hired a driver to take us there, and on the way back he swung by Ravelo where I had one of the best meals in Italy.  The town is perched up significantly higher off the coast than Amalfi and Positano, so you get some great views.

I've been to Pompeii, but Mrs.LL and the kids haven't.  Now, I'm a Roman history geek, so of course I loved it.  But I think everyone will get a kick out of it, even if they spend less time there than I would if it were just me.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:45 AM, Ghost of LL said:

Three days in Amalfi sounds about right, you could do longer.  There are plenty of villages to stay. One day for Capri and the Blue Grotto. One day for poking around your village, eating great food. Third day for taking a ferry to another one of the villages and poking around there and having great food. I think I’d skip renting a boat, it’s not really warm enough to swim in spring so you’d just be using it to get from town to town— kind of an expensive way to do it. 

I don’t know how early your Spring Break is but be warned that the weather can be hit and miss even down here. I’m in Amalfi right now. It rained all day yesterday, cats and dogs. Today a short shower, but never warm enough to take off jackets. 

That said, I’m a Rome fanatic and I still would have no qualms about leaving Rome for a few days to get down here, it’s incredible.  

Beach + Italy over spring break is a very very iffy proposition.  I've been on some trips in March where the weather was nice and comfortable adn then others when I froze my ass off.  Took one trip to visit family in May one year and it was cold on the beach.  Just saying... if you want it to be beachy, it is risky... if you want it to be beautiful but maybe not beach behavior (swimming, hanging out on the sand, etc) you're probably fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife and I did Amalfi Coast in mid September back in 2019.

I think we had 4 full days.  Departed Rome and arrived in afternoon.  Don't remember what we did for the afternoon.

Drove to Pompeii for one day.

Capri for a day, then farted around the town of Amalfi for a couple of hours upon return.

Hiked Path of the Gods one day with a late lunch close to Positano, then hiked back.

Walked around one day exploring.  Found a cool place for lunch.  Hung out on beach.

Then 5th day we drove to Rome and had a full 1/2 day in Rome before departing.  Fun little trip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:15 PM, texasdago said:

Beach + Italy over spring break is a very very iffy proposition.  I've been on some trips in March where the weather was nice and comfortable adn then others when I froze my ass off.  Took one trip to visit family in May one year and it was cold on the beach.  Just saying... if you want it to be beachy, it is risky... if you want it to be beautiful but maybe not beach behavior (swimming, hanging out on the sand, etc) you're probably fine.

That's valuable information.  Perhaps I can leverage that into getting out of Amalfi.  As I said, I'd be very happy just staying in Rome the entire week.  But if I have to leave Rome, I'd rather take the train up to Bologna for a couple days.

13 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's valuable information.  Perhaps I can leverage that into getting out of Amalfi.  As I said, I'd be very happy just staying in Rome the entire week.  But if I have to leave Rome, I'd rather take the train up to Bologna for a couple days.

I can certainly point you to nice places up there.  March is just going to be touch and go so I would stay Rome and further south.  Amalfi might be fine... just don't count it being beachy.  The best forecast I can give you:

I am just wrapping up 5 days on the Amalfi coast, it was a fantastic trip and I’d for sure recommend even if it’s not beach weather. We stayed in Amalfi as the base. This was the right amount of time, although I wish I had one day back, and if it had been warm and summery, I’d have used it for beach day. 

Day 1: Rain, mostly light. Visited Amalfi cathedral, poked around some of the streets and alleys, ate well.

Day 2: POURED. This is the day I wish I had back. We made it to the paper museum in Amalfi and that was good for maybe two hours.  

Day 3: Side trip to Pompeii and Vesuvius. For sure a highlight of the trip. I’d recommend getting a guide for Pompeii, otherwise you’re wandering around trying to figure out what everything is. The walk up to Vesuvius’ crater is fun, moderate, and great views. 

Day 4: Ferry to Capri. Boat trip around the island and the Blue Grotto. Cable car up to the center of town, poke around, hike down. Got back to Amalfi around 6 pm and grabbed fantastic panini for supper. 

Day 5: We wanted to hit another town by ferry and decided on Cetara over the more famous Positano. And super glad we did, this was our best day. Cetara is much quieter and has an active fishing industry— far fewer tourists.  I had the best meal of the trip there— ravioli with ricotta, yellow tomatoes, and splashes of colatura di alici (anchovy extract, basically the same thing as Roman garum.) Then just vibe and look around and hang out by the beach.  Highly recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Day 5: We wanted to hit another town by ferry and decided on Cetara over the more famous Positano. And super glad we did, this was our best day. Cetara is much quieter and has an active fishing industry— far fewer tourists.  I had the best meal of the trip there— ravioli with ricotta, yellow tomatoes, and splashes of colatura di alici (anchovy extract, basically the same thing as Roman garum.) Then just vibe and look around and hang out by the beach.  Highly recommend. 

This is the way

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Our youngest son is flying to Italy today. So envious.  We spent 2 weeks there a couple of years ago and barely scratched the surface of the country. I totally get why people go back year after year. Every time I see this thread bumped I think, who am I going to hate today because they're in Italy. 😆 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am just wrapping up 5 days on the Amalfi coast, it was a fantastic trip and I’d for sure recommend even if it’s not beach weather. We stayed in Amalfi as the base. This was the right amount of time, although I wish I had one day back, and if it had been warm and summery, I’d have used it for beach day. 

Day 1: Rain, mostly light. Visited Amalfi cathedral, poked around some of the streets and alleys, ate well.

Day 2: POURED. This is the day I wish I had back. We made it to the paper museum in Amalfi and that was good for maybe two hours.  

Day 3: Side trip to Pompeii and Vesuvius. For sure a highlight of the trip. I’d recommend getting a guide for Pompeii, otherwise you’re wandering around trying to figure out what everything is. The walk up to Vesuvius’ crater is fun, moderate, and great views. 

Day 4: Ferry to Capri. Boat trip around the island and the Blue Grotto. Cable car up to the center of town, poke around, hike down. Got back to Amalfi around 6 pm and grabbed fantastic panini for supper. 

Last time I went to Capri the cable car was not operating and we hiked all the way to Tiberius' Villa. I thought I was going to die. But this area is excellent. 

Let me ask you this: I heard that they moved most of the significant Pompeiian art and archaeological artifacts to the Museo Nazionale in Naples. So, to get the full effect, you had to hit that museum and the ruins. Is that still the case? How was Pompeii? 

59 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Last time I went to Capri the cable car was not operating and we hiked all the way to Tiberius' Villa. I thought I was going to die. But this area is excellent. 

Let me ask you this: I heard that they moved most of the significant Pompeiian art and archaeological artifacts to the Museo Nazionale in Naples. So, to get the full effect, you had to hit that museum and the ruins. Is that still the case? How was Pompeii? 

I haven’t been before so I don’t have a good reference. I specifically wanted to stay out of museums this trip, as it’s been a long winter with lots of them. Pompeii was my second favorite part of the trip and if we hadn’t found Cetara it would have been my favorite. I was given to understand some of the plaster casts of victims and pots and things had gone to Naples for preservation, but the mosaics and frescoes and a few of those things are all in place and enough left to get the idea. I didn’t feel a need to see more bodies. 

It gets crowded AF. Go early, and give your guide a list of the things you most want to see and try to go straight there.  The brothel and its dirty frescoes see lines build up early.  My favorite site was the Villa of the Mysteries outside of the walls which our small group had to ourselves in quiet and which had the coolest frescoes with bright red and dark blues and greens. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I haven’t been before so I don’t have a good reference. I specifically wanted to stay out of museums this trip, as it’s been a long winter with lots of them. Pompeii was my second favorite part of the trip and if we hadn’t found Cetara it would have been my favorite. I was given to understand some of the plaster casts of victims and pots and things had gone to Naples for preservation, but the mosaics and frescoes and a few of those things are all in place and enough left to get the idea. I didn’t feel a need to see more bodies. 

It gets crowded AF. Go early, and give your guide a list of the things you most want to see and try to go straight there.  The brothel and its dirty frescoes see lines build up early.  My favorite site was the Villa of the Mysteries outside of the walls which our small group had to ourselves in quiet and which had the coolest frescoes with bright red and dark blues and greens. 

My three favorite places are the Villa of the Mysteries, the Odeon, and the Forum. Thanks for the info.

I spent every day for a week in Pompeii when I was in college. If people ever have the time I recommend Herculaneum as well. 

On 4/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, texasdago said:

This.  In March, you are going to be SOL as a lot of stuff is still shuttered.  April, things are starting to open, but it won't be as good as if you went shoulder months like June or September.

• Hook 'Em 1

But, if anyone is going to the Amalfi Coast, I know a guy who owns a boat.  You can take the entire boat out for the day (9 AM to 5 PM).  It is the best way to see the Amalfi Coast.  PM me, and I will shoot you his info.  We went out with him in 2018 and in 2021. And he remembered us (I am not sure that was a good thing, lol).

19 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is also true.  You need fucking shoes unless you have feet of steel.

Depends... not necessarily true depending on where you are in Italy and really all over the peninsula... most of the people who take quick trips to Italy may never see them but there are plenty.  Spent two weeks here... (Sicily)

A Comprehensive Guide to visiting San Vito Lo Capo | We are Palermo

Have been going here since I was in elementary school... (Lazio)

Alla scoperta di Sperlonga, la perla del Lazio a picco sul mare

Was here last summer (Le Marche)

Spiaggia-di-Numana-Alta | Beach Travel Destinations

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 3